Air Force IDES Timeline (Wanting to continue service)

AirForceRTDorLAS

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Jan 2020: Notified by PCM they were starting an MEB
15Jul 2020: Contacted by PEBLO about an initial briefing
Aug 2020: Contacted by VA Service Rep to fill out IDES/VA Claim info
17Nov 2020: First VA Appointments
2Dec 2020: Last VA Appointments
12Feb 2021: Signed 618 referred to IPEB

------------------------------------------------------
Just wondering what is next? What are the chances of staying in? I've been told I can do an Assignment Limitation Status but are there other options depending on what they say? I did send an email to the OAC.

17 years 7 months of service so far. My CC stated I could do my job and they should Retain me. My issue is 2 spinal fusions that cause me lower back pain and numbness down my legs. My surgeon says I need another surgery but doesn't want to do it because I am too young. The benefits site is still showing an open claim being reviewed. My ultimate goal is to finish 20 or even more if they allow it.

23 Feb 2021: Letter from VA proposing 70% VA rating, not a single message from my PEBLO since December by the way....

The waiting is hard. I went through the AF PEB process twice. RTD the first time, with assignment limitations. But DoD guidance on readiness has changed since then. I did deploy again after the assignment limitation, based on a waiver, to a site with a USA hospital. It is possible. Best wishes.

2 Mar 2021: Received IPEB results. 40% permanent retirement an 70% from VA
2 Mar 2021: Contacted ODC for an attorney.

8 Mar 2021: Signed 1180 requesting Formal MEB
9 Mar 2021: Received hearing date
23 Mar 2021: Formal Hearing date

Thanks, it felt good but I knew my restrictions would probably not allow me to Return to Duty.

23 Mar 2021: Formal hearing conducted...took about 45 minutes. Their main focus was the ability to get back to completing a full PT test and the ability to deploy without needing medical care.
24 Mar 2021: Received results from PEBLO - Upheld Informal Results 40% DOD and 70% VA, permanent retirement.
29 Mar 2021: Deadline to sign and accept results (Lawyer said to wait till this day to sign and accept)
1 Apr 2021: Deadline to Submit LAS (Limited Assignment Status) Application - This will allow me to serve till 20 since I am over 15 years if accepted in my current position and be nondeployable. Must have a stable condition - CC recommendation - Career field is shortfall on manning for your grade ( I meet the criteria for all these)

Everyone's case is different and during different times, I will try to answer any questions I can if you message me or post here.

Jan 2020: Notified by PCM they were starting an MEB
15Jul 2020: Contacted by PEBLO about an initial briefing
Aug 2020: Contacted by VA Service Rep to fill out IDES/VA Claim info
17Nov 2020: First VA Appointments
2Dec 2020: Last VA Appointments
12Feb 2021: Signed 618 referred to IPEB

23 Feb 2021: Letter from VA proposing 70% VA rating, not a single message from my PEBLO since December by the way....

2 Mar 2021: Received IPEB results. 40% permanent retirement an 70% from VA
2 Mar 2021: Contacted ODC for an attorney

8 Mar 2021: Signed 1180 requesting Formal MEB
9 Mar 2021: Received hearing date
23 Mar 2021: Formal Hearing date

23 Mar 2021: Formal hearing conducted...took about 45 minutes. Their main focus was the ability to get back to completing a full PT test and the ability to deploy without needing medical care.
24 Mar 2021: Received results from PEBLO - Upheld Informal Results 40% DOD and 70% VA, permanent retirement.
29 Mar 2021: Deadline to sign and accept results (Lawyer said to wait till this day to sign and accept)
1 Apr 2021: Deadline to Submit LAS (Limited Assignment Status) Application - This will allow me to serve till 20 since I am over 15 years if accepted in my current position and be nondeployable. Must have a stable condition - CC recommendation - Career field is shortfall on manning for your grade ( I meet the criteria for all these)

1 Apr 2021: LAS Submitted (expected up to 30 days for decision)

5 Apr 2021: Attorney contacted me to disclose the Appeal process to SAF is now available again and must submit appeal by 12 Apr 2021.

6 Apr 2021: Declined SAF appeal in favor of continuing LAS process.

I was told yes they typically stay in place but you could move based on the code applied. The LAS is really your CC saying this person is still an asset and the career field needs them and I have use for them in my SQ. I don't see why they would PCS you after being approved. I am still waiting on my approval/denial.

Thanks for the update. I'm pulling for you.

35 days and LAS is still pending.
Could you tell me what signatures/approvals you needed for LAS application? I have seen conflicting statements saying you need just the commanders approval or a bunch of 06 approvals plus the commander. Also did your lawyer state how long appealing to SAF would take time wise to hear back if you went that route?

Could you tell me what signatures/approvals you needed for LAS application? I have seen conflicting statements saying you need just the commanders approval or a bunch of 06 approvals plus the commander. Also did your lawyer state how long appealing to SAF would take time wise to hear back if you went that route?
He did not say how long the SAF process was, sorry. The LAS only requires CC signature (mine is O-5) and a stable condition. But you can add letters of recommendation from anyone you work with or for and a letter from the functional stating what your career field manning is at, this helps if you're AFSC is undermanned.

Thank you for the reply and clarifying what is needed for the application. Crossing my fingers you get approved. Have you had to start outprocessing or is that on hold until the application is approved/denied?

Everything is on hold until they approve or deny it. I did attend TAPS and taking other retirement classes that come up just in case. If they deny it then I have 20 days of out-processing and about 70 days of terminal leave to take.

Everything is on hold until they approve or deny it. I did attend TAPS and taking other retirement classes that come up just in case. If they deny it then I have 20 days of out-processing and about 70 days of terminal leave to take.
Oh that is good that everything is on hold! Fighting to stay in as well . . Referred for low back pain so your experience has been very helpful. Thank you for posting