Already VA rated - MEB just started with questions

Moustache6

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I already have a VA rating of 90% and the Michigan Army Natl Guard is just getting around to getting my MEB rolling. I have LOD's completed for PTSD (50% VA), wounds to arm to include nerve damage, muscle damage, and scars (10%,10%, 20%, 30% 30% from VA) back (10% VA) bronchial asthma (10% VA), tinnitus (10%), scars to face (10%), bi-lateral eye issue (10%) and both knees (10%, 10%).

I think I understand the process, but I am confused about the VA portion. Do I have to go through the entire C&P again, or will the Army accept what the VA has already done.

I have over 25 years of service to include Active, Reserve and Guard time with just over 5,400 points. If I am rated at over 30% by the Army how do they figure out my retirement and when does it go into effect.

Thanks

I didn't specify that all of the VA ratings and LOD's from deployments (2X OIF, 1X OEF) and a fight with an RPG which I lost.

I already have a VA rating of 90% and the Michigan Army Natl Guard is just getting around to getting my MEB rolling. I have LOD's completed for PTSD (50% VA), wounds to arm to include nerve damage, muscle damage, and scars (10%,10%, 20%, 30% 30% from VA) back (10% VA) bronchial asthma (10% VA), tinnitus (10%), scars to face (10%), bi-lateral eye issue (10%) and both knees (10%, 10%).

I think I understand the process, but I am confused about the VA portion. Do I have to go through the entire C&P again, or will the Army accept what the VA has already done.

I have over 25 years of service to include Active, Reserve and Guard time with just over 5,400 points. If I am rated at over 30% by the Army how do they figure out my retirement and when does it go into effect.

Thanks

I didn't specify that all of the VA ratings and LOD's from deployments (2X OIF, 1X OEF) and a fight with an RPG which I lost.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

In my opinion, you are asking some valid questions for which I don't have any specific pinpointed responses. Remember that the DoD IDES process is a performance-based system. The process determines if your medical condition(s) renders you fit or unfit to perform military duty.

Once you are eligible for military disability benefits, the severity of your condition will determine whether you receive disability retirement or are separated with severance pay. Disability retirement is either temporary or permanent depending on the stability of your medical condition.

To that extent, military service members rated with a 0%, 10% or 20% disability who have less than 20 years of active service or 7,200 points of combined service, will be separated with severance pay.

In addition, military service members rated at 30% or more, or who have 20 or more years of active military service or 7,200 points of combined service, receive disability retirement.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

OP, thank you for your service.

While I can't offer any concrete answers I had a unique experience that may related to your situation. I was due to ETS and had completed the BDD (pre-ETS) VA program which included having all of my C&Ps done prior to leaving active duty. Then, less than 1 week before I was to "final out", I had some test come back which were alarming enough to initiate an MEB.

Everybody was hopeful that my BDD C&Ps could be used for MEB (exams were less than 1 month old), but turned out MEB required all the exams to be redone. I ended up going through the same exams with the same examiners. Everybody involved thought it was ridiculous, but the new exams were conducted anyways. I suspect they will drag you through the same process. YMMV.

Thanks

Hi Moustache6,

I was in a similar situation that you are currently in when it comes to having a VA rating and then starting the MEB process. I was rated at 50% for PTSD and then the Air National Guard started my MEB. If you are found 30% or more you for the referred conditions more that likely you found unfit for duty. In my case I had to go through an entire C&P exam again which was in my favor as my rating was increased from 50% to 70%. They take all of the information that you already have and use it as evidence. I am thinking that more than likely you will have to go through a C&P exam again.

Thanks JBrown58 - The VA process took over 18 months and I dread having to do it again. I still don't understand why it takes so much longer for the National Guard.

Moustache6,

I have no idea why it takes so much time either. The bright side is that if your ratings increase you will get back pay. Just kick back and let the situation play itself out that's all you can do no need to stress about it as you know what to expect and what's coming. More than likely you will be found unfit for duty and you will be eligible for CRSC and have TRICARE for you and your family for the rest of your life.

Just figured out why my state is so screwed up. See timeline below and help me fill in the blanks please...

12/2/2012 VA rating completed - 90% (see first post for specifics)
4/8/2013 Completed PHA
4/8/2013 Submitted VA Rating along with all supporting VA paperwork to State Surgeon by order of the TAG
6/11/2013 Updated PULHES by State Surgeon to 211313
8/8/2013 Another update to PULHES by State Surgeon to 213313
8/30/2013 Most recent update to PULHES by State Surgeon to 333323
8/30/2013 Referred to start of MEB process within the state (fit for duty board)
10/24/2013 State Surgeon office requested LODs from my unit for multiple items not documented previously on an LOD to include PTSD, bronchial asthma, and arthritis in knees
12/12/2013 All documents complete at state and waiting for state board
1/21/2014 Received word that State Surgeon/G1 want updated PHA because it is within 6 months of expiration
1/21/2014 Completed my portion of PHA, awaiting a Doctors review

Still not entered into IDES and want to know if this is common, or is my state screwed up? The latest info to come out of the headquarters, and this is a quote...

"excerpt from T6 notes from the last TAG meeting:
4. The QRB will only consider "re-looks" this spring. MOI = forthcoming. Packets are due NLT 7 April. Here's a new twist. Soldiers will no longer be authorized to claim "medical evaluation" unless they are enrolled in the IDES system prior to 7 April. Everyone going through the board is presumed to be medically fit. This will prevent Soldiers who have been taken out via the QRB to come back afterwards and start disclosing medical information that they've withheld previously. Soldiers either go out via the QRB or IDES process, not one then the other. That ship sailed."

Here's a timeline update:

4/8/2013 Completed PHA
4/8/2013 Submitted VA Rating along with all supporting VA paperwork to State Surgeon by order of TAG
8/30/2013 Referred to start of MEB process within the state (fit for duty board)
10/24/2013 State Surgeon office requested LODs from my unit for multiple items not documented previously on an LOD to include PTSD, bronchial asthma, and arthritis in knees
1/21/2014 Received word that State Surgeon/G1 want updated PHA because it is within 6 months of expiration
2/12/2014 Enrolled into IDES
2/20/2014 Referral complete
2/26/2014 VA Claims complete
4/07/2014 Medical Exams (VA C&P Exam) Complete
5/08/2014 Four unfitting conditions by MEB along with an update to PULHES of 323213 , nobody could explain how/why my hearing profile went from a 3 to a 2... I have had a permanent 3 since 1997!!! Bi-lateral Hearing aids since 2012!!!
5/15/2014 Informal PEB Complete - do not know the outcome other than unfit (don't know which conditions)

Awaiting VA Rating - as of 7/03/2014 IDES shows an Army average of 109.06 days and I am at 49 days.

Just ready for this to end!!!

Here's a timeline update:

4/8/2013 Completed PHA
4/8/2013 Submitted VA Rating along with all supporting VA paperwork to State Surgeon by order of TAG
5/08/2014 Four unfitting conditions by MEB along with an update to PULHES of 323213 , nobody could explain how/why my hearing profile went from a 3 to a 2... I have had a permanent 3 since 1997!!! Bi-lateral Hearing aids since 2012!!!
5/15/2014 Informal PEB Complete - do not know the outcome other than unfit (don't know which conditions)

Awaiting VA Rating - as of 7/03/2014 IDES shows an Army average of 109.06 days and I am at 49 days.

Just ready for this to end!!!

Indeed, the end of the DoD IDES process is definitely forthcoming! ;)

Nonetheless, please remain strong and stay focus on the "big" picture of potential outcomes while in the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process. Take care and continue to enjoy life! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

QUOTE]

Moustache- you should ask your PEBLO for your Unfit letter from the PEB. it will have your unfitting conditions on it and your V Codes that will confirm where or not your injuries are condidered combat related.

green 594 -

I appreciate the help. I am in the VA Rating phase of IDES. Should my PEBLO have an unfit letter from the Informal PEB??? The last time I talked to my PEBLO she said that I will not hear anything until she gets the DA 199.

Input for the above from any of the experts out there would be helpful.

I am a reservist with just about 7 years going through the MEB. I was active duty also. Yes you will have to do the VA claim all over again. I received my Unfit memo about 2 weeks after the VA C&P exam was done. It took 6 months for the VA to rate me and I am still waiting on the DA199 (its been almost 3 weeks, most active say it takes them 1 week to get the 199). Even though there is not update your PEBLO should contact you every 2 weeks. I am unsure about the retirement pay and the special combat you may be able to receive.

Moustache6, Are you AGR or M-day? This will make some difference in your time. If your PEBLO is telling you they are waiting for your 199 then she already has an unfit memo on you. I'm from MI myself and just received my first retirement check on the 1st. I started the process last July and my last Appt at Knox was in May, Started my terminal leave in May and retired on 23JUL. So to answer your ? above yes, your PEBLO should have your unfit memo. Make sure when you get your 199 you look it all over and ask questions, have the attorneys at Knox look at it and make sure EVERYTHING is correct. Hit me up if you have and specific questions. Good Luck

ArmyLOD - I'm a dual status tech (M-day from the perspective of the MEB). I'm tracking on the 199 and all that I must do when I receive it. Thanks for the info.

Here's the latest timeline update:
12/2/2012 VA rating completed - 90% (see first post for specifics, rating from previous deployments, not MEB)

4/8/2013 Completed PHA

Still awaiting VA Rating - as of 12/03/2014 I am at 202 days in the VA Rating phase of IDES. 297 overall days in IDES.

Nobody can explain why the Reserve (Guard) Component takes so long compared to Active Component. I'm ready to move to a WTU to get this ball rolling. Where is the love?

I'm brand new here and to MEB. MEB started October 2014, finally got a 50% rating on my VA claim November 2014 that i filed in June 2013. I had my first MEB medical exam at the VA this past tuesday. I have a appointment on Jan 16th for hearing (constant ringing) and Jan 20th for mental health, doctor said i tested positive for PTSD.

1. does this seem to be moving along pretty fast?
2. does already having a VA rating help in the process?

I tore both achilles tendons while in Iraq. had both operated at the VA and didnt help. had the left achilles operated on again by a civilian doctor. ended up having to replace the tendon.

Last edited:
Question #2 - Already having a VA rating kind of hurt me, because they screwed up my paperwork a few times which ended up costing me another 6 months of waiting. I heard that if you have a VA rating within 6 months of the MEB then they use that rating. My VA raiting was more than a year out, so I had to go in for all new C&P's even though at the time I was rated at 80%.

Question #1 - I don't know what you would consider fast... until you are finished it is not complete. Stay on top of your paperwork and everyone in the process. One person can royally screw up the entire thing. For your timeline it seems to be moving smoothly.

I'm about ready to go ballistic!!!

I'm still amazed that the system is so JACKED UP!!!
I have engaged my congressman, VSO, PEBLO, MSC... nobody seems to be able to help.
My IDES is at 362 days and I am still at VA Rating. The latest is that Seattle says the original C&P Doctor did not follow the regulation and they were going to send my case back to the original VAMC for another C&P. Talk about back to square one. I raised hell with my Congressmans office and they contacted the VA in Washington D.C. Now there is a doctor in Seatle that says there is enough info for a rating. Meanwhile I continue to wait and fume about the inept system. Over 26 years of service and I'm being jerked around. I really want to thank the Chain-of-Command in my state. I have not had anyone check on me, even though I am still in their system! Way to look out for one of your own Michigan!

Sorry for the venting, but I need to get relief somewhere.

Updated info below...

12/2/2012 VA rating completed - 90% (see first post for specifics, rating from previous deployments, not MEB)
4/8/2013 Completed PHA
Still awaiting VA Rating - as of 12/03/2014 I am at 202 days in the VA Rating phase of IDES. 297 overall days in IDES.

1/30/2015 Congressmans office claims that there is a VA Doctor in Seattle that stated there is enough info for the rating and it will be completed without additional info from the C&P Doctor.

STILL AWAITING VA RATING - as of 2/4/2015 I am at 265 days in the VA Rating phase of IDES. 362 overall days in IDES.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

https://www.myhealth.va.gov/index.html
I'm about ready to go ballistic!!!

I'm still amazed that the system is so JACKED UP!!!
I have engaged my congressman, VSO, PEBLO, MSC... nobody seems to be able to help.
My IDES is at 362 days and I am still at VA Rating. The latest is that Seattle says the original C&P Doctor did not follow the regulation and they were going to send my case back to the original VAMC for another C&P. Talk about back to square one. I raised hell with my Congressmans office and they contacted the VA in Washington D.C. Now there is a doctor in Seatle that says there is enough info for a rating. Meanwhile I continue to wait and fume about the inept system. Over 26 years of service and I'm being jerked around. I really want to thank the Chain-of-Command in my state. I have not had anyone check on me, even though I am still in their system! Way to look out for one of your own Michigan!

Sorry for the venting, but I need to get relief somewhere.

Updated info below...

4/8/2013 Completed PHA

1/30/2015 Congressmans office claims that there is a VA Doctor in Seattle that stated there is enough info for the rating and it will be completed without additional info from the C&P Doctor.

STILL AWAITING VA RATING - as of 2/4/2015 I am at 265 days in the VA Rating phase of IDES. 362 overall days in IDES.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Have you signed up with My Healthy Vet or is it my healthEVet?

https://www.myhealth.va.gov/index.html

Or how about ebenefits?

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage

Sometimes, the VA can notify you that they are waiting for further info and they can notify you via their web site.

Make sure they have your current physical mailing address, too.

I don't know what's the deal in your case. But just thought I'd put this bit out there for you to double check on.

I live in Oregon and the VA had me somewhere out in Texas - how they got that address in Texas (never lived there) I'll never know.

Held up my rating by 6 months.

nwlivewire

Back