Andrews AFB - Bipolar 2, GAD, MDD

rifkana

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi folks. I've been in the IDES process for a while now and thought I'd share my experience. Lurking around here has given me a lot of knowledge of this difficult and opaque process. Long story short, I've got 3 referred conditions, as listed above. I've been struggling to function and using the MH clinic for a long time now, but a pair of MH hospitalizations last summer are what finally triggered the MEB process. Anyways... on to the timeline.

Jun-Aug 2015: Hospitalized
10/21/15: Initial notification from PEBLO (complete surprise)
11/13/15: I-RILO completed, MEB finds unfit
11/23/15: Code 37 (no PCS, TDY, etc) applied
11/25/15: Initial MEB briefing with PEBLO
Dec 2015/Jan 2016: C&P exams
1/12/16: C&P report completed and provided to PEBLO
(it should be noted that my I-RILO doc didn't bother to complete the NARSUM addendum as of today, but my PEBLO didn't call me so I'm assuming nothing else there was unfitting)
2/12/16: AF 618 signed, package sent to AFPC

So, as of today I'm 16 calendar days into my glorious wait. It seems like a lot of folks around here have been getting stuff turned around rather quickly, so I'm hoping that I see something similar. My eBenefits still says "Gathering of Evidence" and that the VA hospital hasn't provided everything, but I'm guessing that's just because we're pending the PEB decision.

Bipolar has been coming back fit like a wild fire.

Well that's disheartening... although I have a 10 year history, and the MEB rated my impairment as severe for all 3 unfitting conditions. I honestly just want to be done, either way, so I can try to get myself right for the long term instead of this limbo I'm trapped in right now :(

I hear yuh. Severe should give you a retirement. It's a guessing game

I am in almost exactly the same boat as you, I was diagnosed with Bipolar, MDD and GAD recently, I have a few extras like Post-poned PTSD, Adjustment disorder and Asthma. I am not being MEBed for the PTSD Adjustment Disorder or the MDD. I was informed of the initializing MEB back in Dec while I was in an Intensive Outpatient Program, just 2 days after my early separation due to pregnancy was approved. I was supposed to separate yesterday but instead was informed I have moved on from IRILO to IPEB. I was just wondering with your diagnosis being so similiar to my own, do you have any idea if they are going with "existed prior to service"?

I went to an IOP too, last summer. Where were you?

On my 618 none of my referred conditions are checked as "existed prior to service". I'm not sure if that's something the IPEB will actually rule on, but that's at least what it is from the IRILO/MEB perspective.

I was in IOP at Bethesda but not until December/January. I just don't want to wait out this whole process for them to say you had this before GTFO with Jack-diddly-squat! Thanks for your eight years of service!!

That's where I was too! I was also inpatient there for a bit (7 West). Lovely experience, that. Anyways. I definitely have the same concerns as you, especially since I'm far from my support system and I'm stuck extending to finish this mess up. Keep us posted on how your board goes and I'll be sure to do the same... Good luck!

Thanks you too.

That's where I was too! I was also inpatient there for a bit (7 West). Lovely experience, that. ...!
Hmm, that brings back unwanted memories for sure; had three or four (I can't exactly recall) voluntary inpatient admissions to "7 West" while on military active duty! :eek:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Last edited:
You can voluntarily admit yourself to 7 Wests? Wow, didn't know that. I had a heck of a time just trying to get into the Outpatient program I can only imagine the pain of inpatient!!

You can voluntarily admit yourself to 7 Wests? Wow, didn't know that. I had a heck of a time just trying to get into the Outpatient program I can only imagine the pain of inpatient!!
Indeed, I can comprehend since "7 West" stated that I wasn't a candidate for the IOP upon discharge; I believe it was more about them not wanting to hold me in "7 West" until an available IOP slot opened.

Hence, it's definitely feasible albeit once voluntarily admitted to "7 West" then if you immediately change your mind, it seems that the 72-hour mandatory waiting period to voluntarily leave is strictly enforced; I didn't see any individuals depart "7 West" under that aforementioned provision when they self-invoked.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Quick (non)update today... I've been getting super anxious about the wait so I tried calling AFPC to see if I could sneak a peek at whether my case had been looked at by the IPEB yet. Nope - they punted me right back to my PEBLO, who is less than helpful and more than sick of me. Oh well. I'll be bugging her on Friday no matter what if i haven't seen any movement.

One more quick thing, this afternoon my med hold was approved for 6 months. Hopefully I won't need all that, but we'll see!

Have you tried calling the VA to see if they received anything? I've been waiting to see if I've been found unfit and I called the VA and apparently AFPC already sent the letter.

Have you tried calling the VA to see if they received anything? I've been waiting to see if I've been found unfit and I called the VA and apparently AFPC already sent the letter.

Not yet. Who do I call? I see providence mentioned often. Is there a specific number/path through the phone tree?

I called (401) 223-3700 from there just ask on a status in your meb. The lady I spoke to was really nice and gave me a lot of information. I hope you find something out!

Update: so I called the Providence number and spoke to a very kind gentleman who informed me that they had received my unfit memo from AFPC on 8 March! So now I'm waiting for ratings and such, but what a relief to have closure on that part. More to come. As of yesterday, eBenefits still showed "Gathering of Evidence". Will check that again this afternoon.

I wish you the best of luck! We have almost the same timeline!

I wish you the best of luck! We have almost the same timeline!

Looks like you've pulled ahead of me quite a bit now! Did you get your ratings?

I'm still waiting with no news. Ebennies still says gathering of evidence with an expected completion date of oct 2016-oct 2017. I went ahead and pushed the "decide my claim now" button yesterday. No idea what difference that will make, if any, but what the heck. If I don't get something today then surely next week, as that'll be the 15 day mark on wednesday.