Approved...timeline and a question

So I FINALLY received an envelope containing my new orders and DD214 from the air Force. I was notified of the decision in January. The letter says that they've notified DFAS of the change and to go to them with any questions about back pay. Good thing that I'm not depending on these benefits like others might be. I feel like this is a horrible way to treat service members.

Well at least you got it. Was that 3-4 months after SBP brief and DD2656?

That seems to be the going timeline. 7 months from notification to orders. The Army can do it in 2 months though. Wow. I’m waiting on 11 years of backpay at 75%. They need to move their asses. I guess now the question is how long will it be until DFAS gets their part finished and start your pension offset.

Last edited:
WOW. Air Force guys...I just talked to a friend on FB who just finished this process. He sent in his package in August 2014. He got his decision letter on July 17 2016. He got SBP briefing in September 2016. He got his new orders in May 2017. He got his DFAS account in March 2018. He was just paid the second of three payments for retro pay last month. From decision letter to orders was 10 months. Decision letter to payment was 22 months. Almost 2 YEARS AFTER he got his decision letter. Army takes 6 months. Fucking Air Force. Wow.

This is scary for me because they told me I was better off adding my spouse after I get my ID, but I was also told we only have one year from our marriage to add him. One year would be March 2019, and I only had my SBP briefing in June. I haven't been able to get any updates via email, even when I express my concerns about the time line. So frustrating! Maybe I'll try emailing Ms. Adams again...

Mrs Adams will tell you nothing. I assure you. In fact she will be a total bitch about it and tell you that you will have to wait now until it’s all complete.
FYI, I had my briefing in April. I still have no orders. Settle in. It’s gonna be a very long wait. The other services get it done in 6 months from approval to payment. The fucking Air Force takes years. The reason? I found out it’s because the Air Force is responsible for everyone’s board package for all services. Once it’s aporoved then it’s sent to the other services to process. But the Air Force keeps ours bogged down with the others.

So, heard back from the PDBR today. I thought Ms. Adams told us that she sends the DD2656 back to the board? This was the boards response in regards to my status inquiry, "The PDBR has no insight on actions taken by the services once a retirement decision has been made. You will need to coordinate with your service representative at AFPC."

So I sent another email back to Ms. Adams. We will see what happens

So, heard back from the PDBR today. I thought Ms. Adams told us that she sends the DD2656 back to the board? This was the boards response in regards to my status inquiry, "The PDBR has no insight on actions taken by the services once a retirement decision has been madye. You will need to coordinate with your service representative at AFPC."

So I sent another email back to Ms. Adams. We will see what happens
Yea bro that’s exactly what she told me too. She’s so full of shit.

PDBR board emailed me back today. Yeah on a Sunday! I told them what we were told by Mrs. Adams. They said, "That wasn’t my understanding for the process. I have reached out to my supervisor to see if there was a change. She or I will get back with you on the next step." So maybe we will actually find out how this is supposed to work.

Updated response from PDBR email this morning:

Your email to Ms. Adams at the SBP office has been forwarded to us for a response. To help you understand how the process works, the role of the PDBR is to review Physical Evaluation Board findings for accuracy and render a recommendation to the military department. Once the recommendation is made, the PDBR has no further role in processing applications. The military department may accept of decline to accept the recommendation of the PDBR. A recommendation to correct a record to disability retirement once accepted is forwarded the SBP office to obtain an SBP election. Once obtained, that is the extent of the SBP office’s knowledge or involvement in processing of the application. Once the SBP election is obtained a Directive is prepared and signed which directs the appropriate offices at the Air Force Personnel Center to correct the military records. Once the Secretary of the Air Force’s designee signs the directive a copy is provided to the individual involved and to the offices at the Air Force Personnel Center responsible for making corrections. The office of the Physical Evaluation Board is required to revoke the separation orders and publish retirement orders. The Retirement office is required to publish a revised DD Form 214. Once those corrections are made a copy the corrected documents are furnished to the applicant, to DFAS and to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Once the applicant receives a copy of the DD Form 214 a retired ID card may be obtained at the nearest ID card facility. Be advised that the offices responsible for making these corrections are currently working a backlog of corrections, in addition to their current workload and it may take up to 30-60 days for the corrective documents to be prepared. Rest assured efforts are being made however, to complete these actions as quickly as possible.

Updated response from PDBR email this morning:

Your email to Ms. Adams at the SBP office has been forwarded to us for a response. To help you understand how the process works, the role of the PDBR is to review Physical Evaluation Board findings for accuracy and render a recommendation to the military department. Once the recommendation is made, the PDBR has no further role in processing applications. The military department may accept of decline to accept the recommendation of the PDBR. A recommendation to correct a record to disability retirement once accepted is forwarded the SBP office to obtain an SBP election. Once obtained, that is the extent of the SBP office’s knowledge or involvement in processing of the application. Once the SBP election is obtained a Directive is prepared and signed which directs the appropriate offices at the Air Force Personnel Center to correct the military records. Once the Secretary of the Air Force’s designee signs the directive a copy is provided to the individual involved and to the offices at the Air Force Personnel Center responsible for making corrections. The office of the Physical Evaluation Board is required to revoke the separation orders and publish retirement orders. The Retirement office is required to publish a revised DD Form 214. Once those corrections are made a copy the corrected documents are furnished to the applicant, to DFAS and to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Once the applicant receives a copy of the DD Form 214 a retired ID card may be obtained at the nearest ID card facility. Be advised that the offices responsible for making these corrections are currently working a backlog of corrections, in addition to their current workload and it may take up to 30-60 days for the corrective documents to be prepared. Rest assured efforts are being made however, to complete these actions as quickly as possible.
I really appreciate you posting this.

Update!

Contacted AFPC yesterday (Total Force Service Center: (210) 565-0102). On hold for approx. 15min. before talking to a live person. Told the rep my (our) situation and was put on hold again for about 5-10min. She came back and said they found my paperwork and had her supervisor expedite to retirements section. She said to follow up in 10 duty days if I have not heard anything.

So at least something seems to be happening. Ill keep you updated.

Update!

Contacted AFPC yesterday (Total Force Service Center: (210) 565-0102). On hold for approx. 15min. before talking to a live person. Told the rep my (our) situation and was put on hold again for about 5-10min. She came back and said they found my paperwork and had her supervisor expedite to retirements section. She said to follow up in 10 duty days if I have not heard anything.

So at least something seems to be happening. Ill keep you updated.

Ugh.... I called the same number this morning and got told that they don't have anything to do with the process and I can try calling the pentagon?

I will submit another email to the PDBR stating this. I am keeping track of all communication now regarding this and forwarding to my senators office per their request.

I would call back, leave out the "PDBR" and state your records are being changed. You have submitted your DD-2656/SBP election and see if they can find it. This paper work has to go to AFPC.

Received this morning from AFPC:

The medical board office finished your correction regarding your approval to be retired (PR) on 30 AUG 18, and has passed the case back to the PDBR office for further processing of your case. Once all actions have been completed by all offices within AFPC the PDBR office will provide you a record copy of all documentation via mail. Please direct all further question to the PDBR office.

Back in a loop again... I forwarded this to the PDBR.

Received this morning from AFPC:

The medical board office finished your correction regarding your approval to be retired (PR) on 30 AUG 18, and has passed the case back to the PDBR office for further processing of your case. Once all actions have been completed by all offices within AFPC the PDBR office will provide you a record copy of all documentation via mail. Please direct all further question to the PDBR office.

Back in a loop again... I forwarded this to the PDBR.

Hmmm... Your loop at least looks like progress. So when I was on the phone on tuesday she eventually put in a ticket for me. I just got a response today and it is as follows:

Ma'am, the disability office does not monitor PDBR cases, we only complete the corrections when directed to by the PDBR. In your case, we have not received anything yet.

For current status of your PDBR case please contact the PDBR office at: 210-565-3256 or you can email them at: PDBRPA [email protected]

V/r
Disability Operation Branch

Well, Guess what...

Just received an email from the Deputy Director of the PDBR. She stated orders and DD214 have been mailed. I went to ebenefits, logged in and my new DD214 is online! Dont see orders yet.

Well, Guess what...

Just received an email from the Deputy Director of the PDBR. She stated orders and DD214 have been mailed. I went to ebenefits, logged in and my new DD214 is online! Dont see orders yet.
WOO HOO! That is great progress! Fingers crossed that I am not far behind you. Funny... I was ahead of you in July LOL