Army CO Letter need some opinions

nick7

PEB Forum Regular Member
All,

Below is the letter that my DET SGT and I typed up this morning (yes we love working on the weekends). I would like to see what you all think that we should change or re work. After we get the final draft I will up load the final draft to the down load page so we will have an army draft. My DET SGT's plan is to take this memo to our CO tomorrow morning so advise would be nice today! Thanks guys and gals!

Heading and all that stuff

MEMORANDUM FOR Commander *** MP Company

SUBJECT: Evaluation for SGT Las, First MI. SSN

1. SGT Last, First, MI SSN PMOS has been informed that an MOS/ Medical Retention Board (MMRB) will evaluate his ability to preform in PMOS ***** based on the limitations impossed by his physical profile. SGT ***** acknowledges notification and intends to appear before the MMRB.

2. SGT **** has been assigned to this detachment for approximately 8 months and is currently working in his PMOS. During this time he has recieved 2 Coins from the SACEUR, and several other coins from the military's senior leadership for outstanding service. He has also been given numerous additional duty's. SGT ***'s physical impairment at time detracts him from his duties. With his ankle lack of range of motion SGT ***** is not able to do any cardio vascular activities or perform proper adcanse work due to not being able to work for long periods of time with out sitting down and taking the weight off his left ankle. This is also causing issues for the right side of his body due to him putting all his weight on the right side to relieve the stress on on his left ankle. SGT *** also suffers from sevior head aches that has caused him to be sent home from work early due to his sensitivity to movement and light. It has been clear on numerous occasions that SGT **** has anger issues. He has never caused damage to equipment nor has it turned into an altercation with co workers.

3. SGT *** does not possess the physical ability to perform his PMOS world- wide under field conditions.

4. Point of contact is the undersigned at ***-****

Signature block

1. SGT Last, First, MI SSN PMOS has been informed that an MOS/ Medical Retention Board (MMRB)
Are you being referred to a MMRB or MEB?

2. SGT **** has been assigned to this detachment for approximately 8 months and is currently working in his PMOS
What is your primary MOS? What are your day-to-day duties and current billet?

SGT ***'s physical impairment at time detracts him from his duties. With his ankle lack of range of motion SGT ***** is not able to do any cardio vascular activities or perform proper adcanse work due to not being able to work for long periods of time with out sitting down and taking the weight off his left ankle. This is also causing issues for the right side of his body due to him putting all his weight on the right side to relieve the stress on on his left ankle. SGT *** also suffers from sevior head aches that has caused him to be sent home from work early due to his sensitivity to movement and light. It has been clear on numerous occasions that SGT **** has anger issues. He has never caused damage to equipment nor has it turned into an altercation with co workers.
This paragraph needs to be re-written, but you have the right idea. You want to communicate what conditions you have and how those conditions affect your ability to perform your duties (be specific). For example, "SGT Nick's duties require him to constantly lift heavy objects, he can no longer perform this aspect of his responsibilities due to his severe ankle condition."

3. SGT *** does not possess the physical ability to perform his PMOS world- wide under field conditions.
Again, right idea but needs to be re-worded. The commander makes a recommendation as to whether or not you should be retained. One good way to put it, "SGT Nick is an outstanding NCO but due to his physical and behavioral health issues I do not recommend he be retained." (If your CO wants to embellish some more, that's fine too).

There is also a DA Form he has to fill out...but I cannot recall the form number at the moment. Anyway, just my 2 cents (there are a thousand ways to do this) hope this helps for now.

Thanks for the help! I will post the newly written one when I get it finished. I am a 88M20 serving on a PSD Team and I am serving as a Protective Services agent. Most of my day to day in the office is operations but while on mission I have to do a lot of walking for ground advances and a whole lot of standing around while the boss is in meetings. In the worse case situations there would be running involved to get the boss out of harms way. I hope this gives you an idea of what my job is.

Thanks for the help... Here is the new updated memo. This is the one that will be sent to our Co for him to write his if you all do not see anything that needs to get changed.

ECDC-PSD 01 Aug 2010

MEMORANDUM FOR Commander **th MP Company

SUBJECT: MEB For SGT Last, First MI. ***-**-****

1. SGT Last, First MI. ***-**-****, 88M20 has been informed that a Medical Evaluation Board (MEB) will be requested to evaluate his ability to perform as an 88M20 while serving as a protective services agent based on the limitations imposed by his physical profile. SGT *last* acknowledges notification and intends to appear before the MEB.

2. SGT *last* has been assigned to this detachment for approximately 8 months and is currently working in his PMOS (88M20) as a protective services agent. During this time he has recieved two coins from the Supreme Allied Commander European Forces and several other coins from the Military’s senior leaders. SGT *last* physical impairment, at this time, detracts him from his duties. While serving as a portective services agent he is required to walk up to several miles in ground advances, and run to evacuate the principal if need be. He can no longer perform this aspect of his responsibilities due to his severe ankle condition. This is causing other issues for SGT *last* right side of his body due to putting more pressure on the right side of his body to relieve the stress from the left. SGT *last* is also not able to do any cardiovascular activities due his ankle condition. SGT *last* suffers from chronic head aches that is intensified by light and movement. This condition has sent SGT *last* home from work early several times. SGT *last* is a valued member of our team and is needed at work to take care of his operation responsibilities. At this time SGT *last* anger issues have been seen in the work place. He has not caused any damage to equipment nor has it turned into any altercation with co workers.

3. SGT Ripplinger is an outstanding NCO but due to his physical and behavioral health issues I do not recommend he be retained.

4. Point of Contact is undersigning at ***-****.

First MI. Last
SFC, USA
EUCOM PSD Detachment Sergeant

Normally, the letter would come from the Company Commander to the MEB or President, PEB.

It may be tough for your commander to comment on these issues, but I would no focus exclusively on the PSD duties. You should be boarded against your PMOS, not necessarily your particular duties. An example is that an 11B serving in an airborne unit may have an issue with being able to perform airborne operations but is perfectly able to serve in a non-airborne coded slot. I am not saying to not include anything about the PSD duties, the limitations may be evidence of what you could not do as an 88M20, too. But, I would say that your letter would be more helpful if it addresses the usual duties of your PMOS. You could also address military requirements (APFT, 3-5 second rush, carry a fighting load over two miles, construct a fighting position, don and wear NBC protective gear).

Receipt of commander coins is not going to hurt you, but I don't see it impacting your fitness.

This is causing other issues for SGT *last* right side of his body due to putting more pressure on the right side of his body to relieve the stress from the left.

This is not very helpful. What issues are occurring on the right side? If they are significant, state what they are and how they impact your duties.

SGT *last* is also not able to do any cardiovascular activities due his ankle condition.
This would be viewed skeptically. Can you not walk, bike, swim, etc? Upper body ergometer?

SGT *last* suffers from chronic head aches that is intensified by light and movement. This condition has sent SGT *last* home from work early several times.
I think this is not detailed enough. How often have you been sent home? How often do you have the migraines? Are they incapacitating? Are they on your profile? What medication are you on? The main question is if migraines keep you from being able to perform duties of your PMOS.

SGT *last* is a valued member of our team and is needed at work to take care of his operation responsibilities. At this time SGT *last* anger issues have been seen in the work place. He has not caused any damage to equipment nor has it turned into any altercation with co workers.
Not detailed enough. Having anger issues demonstrated at work will not be enough for unfittness. Is is just anger? If you have PTSD or anxiety disorder, I would include mention of all the limitations. Do you have reduced supervisory responsibilities? Reduced work schedule? Have you been removed from certain duties? It seems unlikely being on PSD detail, but access to weapons is a key issue. What about sleep schedule? Have you failed to complete any tasks assignments?

I don't want to sound like I am being over critical of the letter. I know it is something that few people/commanders have any experience with and I have seen many letters drafted like the draft you showed above. However, I don't think it is very helpful to the PEB in determining your fitness. In its present form, they would probably find your ankle unfitting only. If you are having significant problems due to the other conditions, you would need better explanation of how they impact your duty performance in order for the PEB to find them unfitting.

Jason,

Thanks this details I needed. I will take every you said and re draft the letter. We are going to the CO in 12 hours and really strating to stress out about this whole situtaion. Thanks for all of the advise!