Army NG Timeline 2021

Paramount

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello all,

So I started my Med Board on 5/10/21. I had to get a revised LOD. That process started June 2020 (See my other post on that mess). So really its been a long time coming. This is what I have so far. I stated this in another post as well, But when your VA MSC submits your paperwork to the VA keep a lookout on E-benefits for "exam request processing". You don't get an alert on this so you have to check it manually. But when it comes up, call QTC to schedule exams. They will ask your info etc. Hopefully save some time on some peoples cases. I know it did for me.

MEB referred conditions:

- Lumbar Spondylolisthesis w/ Sciatica
- Cervical Disc Displacement / Occipital Neuralgia
- Right Knee Patellar Tendonitis
- Migraine Headaches
- Major Depressive D/O

The Occipital Neuralgia and Migraines are one in the same. So I'm not sure why they are listed twice.

I already have ratings for these before starting the MEB Those are:

Lumbar Spondylolisthesis with retrolisthesis: -40%
Sciatica Left- 10%
Sciatica Right-10%
Cervical disc displacement:-10%
Right knee: -10%
Occipital neuralgia/ Migraines: -30%
Mental health -50%
Tinnitus- 10% ( this is not a referred condition)

For a current rating of 90%
I think most everything will be the same. Mental health and the Migraines/Occipital may go up. But who knows.

Attachments

• Med timeline_Redacted.pdf
    155.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Anyone have an Idea on this. So my PMOS is 19K (Tanker) which I'm sure some of the above conditions would meet as Not fit for duty. However I am in a 00F slot currently which is non MOS Specific. So will the MED Board look at me as a Tanker because that's the promotion list I'm on etc. Or the 00F which is immaterial? Im just curious to know what other people have experienced with it. Thanks all.

An update to my timeline. So far ahead of schedule. From everything I have read on the site it seems from here on out will be the snails pace. But Ill keep posting as the stages progress and it will at least give a relative timeline with things.

Attachments

• Med timeline_Redacted.pdf
    504.4 KB · Views: 37
June 29 case submitted to PEB
Did you complete all of your medical exams? Just trying to get clarification if all the ones need to be done before it move along or not. My wife has head to toe exam in a couple of weeks but they can't find an appointment for dental or vision. I was curious if all the exams need to be done before the process moves along or if the exams that have the referred conditions are the only ones needed to move to the next step.

I completed all exams. I didn’t have a vision or dental though. That could be your hiccup unfortunately. But yes all exams have to be completed to write up your narsum

provis- could you check out my sciatica post and tell me what you think of that?

I completed all exams. I didn’t have a vision or dental though. That could be your hiccup unfortunately. But yes all exams have to be completed to write up your narsum

provis- could you check out my sciatica post and tell me what you think of that?
Thank you very much! I believe the dental and vision are required for active duty. I will check out your sciatica post:)

Check. Yeah I had hearing, MH and head to toe

thanks man

06/28/2021 Got Narsum and QTC exams for review
Left lower and right lower radiculopathy (Fit)
Mental health (Fit)
Occipital neuralgia/migraines (unfit) Pro
Lumbar Spondylosthesis (Unfit)
Cervical DDD (unfit)

06/29/2021
Signed and agreed with findings.

I have LOD's for all reffered PEB conditions andS SHOULD equal out to over 30%. Fingers crossed.

I believe this is where i pause for a while. But, the rest of the process has been pretty smooth so far. Hope this helps for those just starting the process.

Attachments

• Redacted timeline_Redacted.pdf
    722.3 KB · Views: 42
found “unfit” by informal PEB on July 20. PEBLO says waiting for ratings from VA then the 199/peb findings.

thanks man. Few steps still but it’s still goin

Happy to hear it’s progressing for you! I’m hoping I’m not too far behind you!

6 Aug 2021- Pending Decision Approval on E-benefits and va.gov

I have not been contacted with proposed ratings yet.

08/30/2021 PEB findings completed. 60% DOD PDRL 90% VA.

I'm good with it.

Sept 9th- Met with retirement services.
Talked about tricare options, got my orders

Oct 2nd- medical retirement date

Sept 9th- Met with retirement services.
Talked about tricare options, got my orders

Oct 2nd- medical retirement date
That is awesome! Very happy for you and to see someone who moved pretty quickly! I am also NG and I have unfortunately hit roadblocks at all of my stops with an exception to 3. My MEB findings were the following:
1. Lumbar Invertebral Disc Syndrome Status Post Discectomy- Medically unfit. No VA Rating, currently in appeal since 2017.
2. Right Lower Extremity Lumbar Radiculopathy (VA Diagnosis)- Medically unfit.
3. Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease other than Intervertebral Disc Syndrome- Meets retention standards
4. Left Median Nerve Neuropathy (referred condition)- Meets retention standards
5. Bilateral Upper Extremity Cervical Radiculopathy (Referred as Radiculopathy)- Meets retention standards
6. Left Lower extremity Lumbar Radiculopathy (VA Diagnosis)
7. Scar, Status Post Discectomy (VA Diagnosis)

VA Findings so far: Currently at 70% without Lumbar service connection.
1. 30% Cervical spine degenerative disc disease with disc bulge
2. 20% Left upper extremity cervical radiculopathy, middle radicular group and median nerve (non dominate)
3. 20% Right upper extremity cervical radiculopathy, middle radicular group
4. ?? Bilateral foot injury- received back pay in June. Both foot injury and back injury were on appeal since 2017. My foot injury has been service connected but it shows that my Lumbar Disc Stenosis is with the evaluator. It has been with an evaluator for months, possibly well over a year. This is what is making my unfit for my MEB.

My Pueblo stated that my packet could stay at the PEB stage for months although there has been no requests for additional medical evidence. I was told this yesterday.

I am a tile 32 tech who will hit 25 years tech service in February. If I do not complete my military disability in time, I will not be given a medical retirement but a reduced annuity. This means instead of 60% of my salary the first year and 40% for the rest of my retirement I should receive, I will get 25% with a reduction for each year I am not 57, I am currently 47. I am trying not to stress because I believe that in Gods grace it will work out, however, its been very difficult to continue to be optimistic. However, by seeing your post and so many others, it makes me breath a little easier! Thank you for sharing and I hope to hear something sooner than later.

Attachments

• IDES_9Sep2021.JPG
    IDES_9Sep2021.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 22
That is awesome! Very happy for you and to see someone who moved pretty quickly! I am also NG and I have unfortunately hit roadblocks at all of my stops with an exception to 3. My MEB findings were the following:
1. Lumbar Invertebral Disc Syndrome Status Post Discectomy- Medically unfit. No VA Rating, currently in appeal since 2017.
2. Right Lower Extremity Lumbar Radiculopathy (VA Diagnosis)- Medically unfit.
3. Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease other than Intervertebral Disc Syndrome- Meets retention standards
4. Left Median Nerve Neuropathy (referred condition)- Meets retention standards
5. Bilateral Upper Extremity Cervical Radiculopathy (Referred as Radiculopathy)- Meets retention standards
6. Left Lower extremity Lumbar Radiculopathy (VA Diagnosis)
7. Scar, Status Post Discectomy (VA Diagnosis)

VA Findings so far: Currently at 70% without Lumbar service connection.
1. 30% Cervical spine degenerative disc disease with disc bulge
2. 20% Left upper extremity cervical radiculopathy, middle radicular group and median nerve (non dominate)
3. 20% Right upper extremity cervical radiculopathy, middle radicular group
4. ?? Bilateral foot injury- received back pay in June. Both foot injury and back injury were on appeal since 2017. My foot injury has been service connected but it shows that my Lumbar Disc Stenosis is with the evaluator. It has been with an evaluator for months, possibly well over a year. This is what is making my unfit for my MEB.

My Pueblo stated that my packet could stay at the PEB stage for months although there has been no requests for additional medical evidence. I was told this yesterday.

I am a tile 32 tech who will hit 25 years tech service in February. If I do not complete my military disability in time, I will not be given a medical retirement but a reduced annuity. This means instead of 60% of my salary the first year and 40% for the rest of my retirement I should receive, I will get 25% with a reduction for each year I am not 57, I am currently 47. I am trying not to stress because I believe that in Gods grace it will work out, however, its been very difficult to continue to be optimistic. However, by seeing your post and so many others, it makes me breath a little easier! Thank you for sharing and I hope to hear something sooner than later.
Thanks badger,

My whole thought process in all this was 30% DOD. I didn’t really care about VA as most of my ratings stayed the same. However I don’t see any value in putting in a VARR during the process because any appeal just added time.

what was your flexion with your back if you don’t mind me asking? I had the QTC PA give me measurements of 10% and an MD give me a rating of 40%. The VA gave me the 40.
The back sucks all around and I’m sorry you have to fight for it. I had a few service connections I fought hard with and eventually one. Keep fighting though.

The Fed retirement portion of your post. Did you read that on OPM? Or talk to someone? I don’t fall into that category anymore so I don’t know.

but as soon as your PEB is done you will be in good shape. I believe you will be done before February. Don’t forget to look into 10 US code 1372 to see if this pertains to you and talk to command. Then bring it up again at retirement services. You may or may not qualify and it won’t change your pay at all. But it’s always nice to get an additional rank of you qualify.

keep us updated on it and best of luck

Thanks badger,

My whole thought process in all this was 30% DOD. I didn’t really care about VA as most of my ratings stayed the same. However I don’t see any value in putting in a VARR during the process because any appeal just added time.

what was your flexion with your back if you don’t mind me asking? I had the QTC PA give me measurements of 10% and an MD give me a rating of 40%. The VA gave me the 40.
The back sucks all around and I’m sorry you have to fight for it. I had a few service connections I fought hard with and eventually one. Keep fighting though.

The Fed retirement portion of your post. Did you read that on OPM? Or talk to someone? I don’t fall into that category anymore so I don’t know.

but as soon as your PEB is done you will be in good shape. I believe you will be done before February. Don’t forget to look into 10 US code 1372 to see if this pertains to you and talk to command. Then bring it up again at retirement services. You may or may not qualify and it won’t change your pay at all. But it’s always nice to get an additional rank of you qualify.

keep us updated on it and best of luck
Thank you! And you are 100% correct about the Tricare, that is my biggest concern.

As for my VA appeal, my back was rejected by the VA when I returned from Afghanistan. I was in an accident during one of my KLE's (hit an IED crater hole going about 55 MPH and it was about 6 feet deep, not a good feeling when your not prepared). I ended up coming back to the states within a month of the accident and the mobilization station realized my C6/C7 was separated and I had told them I had lower back pain as well. Needless to say the VA service connected my neck but the VA refused to connect by back since they stated it was a "pre-existing condition." I had minor back surgery the year prior but my neuro stated I was 100% GTG and both civilian and military doctors cleared me to mobilize. Before the accident I took 2 PT tests in theater. I received a 285 and a 299, then I had my accident.

I appealed my VA finding since it took them 3 years to reject it by 2016 and I have been waiting ever since. Since then I had two teens rear end me while I was on orders as a BC. This caused my 3rd back surgery and ended my career. The MEB then used my back as unfit and the VA has yet to connect it since we aren't allowed to see our ratings until the end of the PEB process. As you can see I am a bit ready for all of this to be over and yes, the back issues suck but I have been blessed with great friends and a good mindset that it will all work out.

This forum has been a Godsend to vent and feel like I am not alone. Being in the position that I am in, I do not discuss my ailments or that I am going out medically to my peers or troops. As a Soldier I think that is the most difficult thing is not to show that we are "broke" but be a pillar of strength and resiliency.

I will keep you posted and I will live vicariously through the Soldiers here to keep me motivated. God speed and enjoy that retirement. You deserve it!

Back