ARNG MEB/PEB Question

BB2222

Registered Member
I am currently at 17 years in the National Guard, with 8 years of active duty included in the time. Currently a traditional drilling guardsman. I am also rated at 90% (likely soon be at 100%) by the VA. Largest rating is 70% for PTSD (combat related) and 50% for sleep apnea. 20% for a shoulder injury and 3 ten percent ratings. I am very seriously considering submitting paperwork to initiate a military MEB/PEB. My question is will the 70% PTSD rating get me to a 30% military retirement rating? Should I want until I have my 20 year letter in hand? Any advice is welcome.

So in the Guard you get to choose to initiate your own MEB? Even if you’re not the authorized medical provider?

I am currently at 17 years in the National Guard, with 8 years of active duty included in the time. Currently a traditional drilling guardsman. I am also rated at 90% (likely soon be at 100%) by the VA. Largest rating is 70% for PTSD (combat related) and 50% for sleep apnea. 20% for a shoulder injury and 3 ten percent ratings. I am very seriously considering submitting paperwork to initiate a military MEB/PEB. My question is will the 70% PTSD rating get me to a 30% military retirement rating? Should I want until I have my 20 year letter in hand? Any advice is welcome.
So you don't get to choose to do a MEB. The Guard does. Most of the time for NG or Reservist the finding is non duty related and transferred to retired reserves with a 15 year letter.

I would wait until you hit 20 good years. That way when you get to the age that you can retire in the NG you will receive both your pension and your VA disability. Personally I would just hit 20 and apply to retire awaiting pay putting you in the gray area retirement. If you can do your job in the NG and don't have a profile you won't be referred to a MEB.

Addl info, I have kept all of my medical issues on the civilian side, military knows nothing. PHA is a breeze each year. I have a very supportive CDR and RNCO. I’m certain that if I submitted the medical records it would initiate an MEB/PEB process. 41 y/o.

I'm with Provis. If you can wait until you get a 20-year NOE, I think you'll be better off in the long run. The 20-year NOE is a sure thing (DOD rating is not) and I wouldn't risk letting that go if you can make it to your 20 year mark.

@BB2222

Just remember, once you ring that MEB bell, so to speak, it can't be un-rung. Unless you must do so, the benefits to prematurely pushing for an MEB are anything but clear based on VA percentages alone.

Disclosure: I was a Marine JAG, Active Duty and Reserve IPEB & FPEB attorney, federal government civilian FPEB & TDRL-focused attorney at the Navy PEB, and now a private attorney focused solely on IDES cases. This post is meant as procedural insight only and should not be construed as legal advice related to a specific case or a legal analysis of facts thereof.