Beginning the MEB Process

Abnmarine

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I will be attending my initial MEB briefing next week and after discovering this site, realize that I have A LOT to learn. Here is a little bit about me:

21 years active duty (6 1/2 in the Marines, the rest in the Army) I've been deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan 11 times totalling 45 months.

Currently have a P3 profile for moderate to severe asthma that was diognosed 3 years ago. No previous conditions to asthma existed prior to me entering the military. I take the max daily meds for treatment

Sinusitis and rhinitis for the last 8 years. I've had 2 sinus surgeries and take daily meds for treatment. I have no sense of smell or taste for over 9 years. I typically have to take presidone every 4-5 months due to complications.

What can I expect with going through the MEB process? I've already earned a military retirement. I have concerns of this process, service connecting my issues, and filing a claim with the VA.

I've been reading here about having 90 days to clear/PTDY/TLV and being required to sell leave back. What happens if I have 105 days leave and already sold the max 60 days when I re enlisted?

I want to ensure that I deal with this correctly. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Just attended my initial briefings and conducted Phase I of my physical. The PEBLO wasn't able to answer my terminal leave questions. Their answer was once the MEB/PEB decision was finalized, I would be discharged NLT 90 days and it would be up to my unit to authorize my leave. I already have 75 days leave established and have already sold 60 days back during two re-enlistments. With this and 30 days Permisive TDY I'm now at 105 days leave without even clearing. I'm hoping they adjust my discharge date to allow my terminal leave.

I have my VA physical appointment on March 8th. They anticipate the process taking 12 months from start to finish. This can change if their are any appeals. I'm learning more about this daily.

I was amazed that out of 12 of us attending, I was the only individual with questions. Aren't people concerned with their careers and future benefits?

Just attended my initial briefings and conducted Phase I of my physical. The PEBLO wasn't able to answer my terminal leave questions. Their answer was once the MEB/PEB decision was finalized, I would be discharged NLT 90 days and it would be up to my unit to authorize my leave. I already have 75 days leave established and have already sold 60 days back during two re-enlistments. With this and 30 days Permisive TDY I'm now at 105 days leave without even clearing. I'm hoping they adjust my discharge date to allow my terminal leave.

It will be interesting to see what happens here. Since you already sold 60 days of leave, by law you cannot sell back anymore. I also have read they usually don't allow more than 30 days leave. Keep us posted on what happens.

I was amazed that out of 12 of us attending, I was the only individual with questions. Aren't people concerned with their careers and future benefits?

I'll bet the other 11 have no clue as to what they are getting into...

From what I have read on this site, different places have different leave policies. I'm almost positive every branch of serve only get 90 days max after getting their orders and your out. They try to put you out between the 23rd and 28th of the month so you may have less than 90 days. I would start take leave (most likely local) and check with your 1st Sgt to see what the policy is.

I appreciate the replies. Until 2 weeks ago, I didn't know much about this myself. Still learning more each day.

My unit won't be an issue. They are very accommodating to ensure that I am taken care of. My CDR has provided me the DA 7652 to write myself prior to his review. We talked today and he wants to ensure I obtain all of my benefits that I am entited to.

My 1SG is my best friend so he supportive as well. ;)

I don't wish to take local leave. I've been saving it for my retirement. There has to be something to allow me to take it since I can not legally sell anymore back.

I just found this in another post:

Yes, you can take all your terminal leave plus additional time if desired for outprocessing and house hounting. I think I used 60 days processing and 30 days terminal leave. They will at the end point ask you what you desire you retirement/separation date to be, which should be in the last week of a month. You won't find many who've made it through the PEB process with 100% and of course it all depends on the severity of one's condition. If you're looking at 100%, you should be applying for SSDI NOW, which you can still receive while on active duty, By definition, a VA 100% rating for individual unemployability means you mostly are unable to work full time. If for example, someone has the permanent loss of use of both feet and qualifies for a 100% rating by the DoD and VA, it is possible he/she could still work in some capacity.

If correct, it looks like I will be asked what my retirement/seperation date is to be. Maybe this requires one to be either medically retired or have 20+ years of service?

I tried to look up the army reg on this but am running out of time. I would request the reg from your unit and verify. The example you show to be able to take all your leave adds up to 90 Days. What was the context VAJumper discussing with the other person?

The MEB purpose is to clear people unable to do their duty. I don't think they will wait 6 months or longer to get that person out once found unfit. There are guideline and time frames.

This just happened to a guy I work with. Bottom line is your orders will say 90 days. The transition office told him they would amend them as he had over 90 days of leave, but then they gave him the run around and he just ate the TDY and didn't take it all. If you want to be stickler for that and fight it you will probably get it, but the better idea is to take the leave before the orders are cut and have the plan (2 weeks clearing, 20 days TDY +leave = 90) when the orders come. It will probably not be worth the headache to get orders amended for 10 days or so. Once you sign your 199 you will have 2-4 weeks until orders come and the day the orders are cut that will be the 90 days. Good luck.

This just happened to a guy I work with. Bottom line is your orders will say 90 days. The transition office told him they would amend them as he had over 90 days of leave, but then they gave him the run around and he just ate the TDY and didn't take it all. If you want to be stickler for that and fight it you will probably get it, but the better idea is to take the leave before the orders are cut and have the plan (2 weeks clearing, 20 days TDY +leave = 90) when the orders come. It will probably not be worth the headache to get orders amended for 10 days or so. Once you sign your 199 you will have 2-4 weeks until orders come and the day the orders are cut that will be the 90 days. Good luck.

I apprecate the reply. If they won't adjust it, I will just take some leave once I sign my 199.

Curious if anyone has used the DAV rep to assist them with their VA claim during the MEB process? The VA says it will slow the process but the DAV recommends using a represenative.