PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
This is my timeline...

20SEP11- Diagnosed with Crohn's
06MAR12- Referred to MEB
08MAR12- C & P exam
27MAR12- Signed NARSUM, Returned to PEBLO
28MAR12- Attended DTAP

The NARSUM stated that I could not perform my duties and should be referred to PEB. I understand that this portion will probably take a while. My peblo was very helpful answering questions but, understandably, wouldn't answer the one I really wanted answered...

My NMA was favorable, how much is this taken into account by the PEB? Are they likely to concur with the MEB? After the verbage on the NARSUM I'm a bit worried about my NMA saying I CAN conduct my duties as a recruiter. If I can do that but am found unfit for sea, will I be adsep'ed?

Definitly seek consel of JAG, your NMA is a big part of med board. So make sure you word it the way you want you outcome to be. It should tell the truth about your limitations for duty. I post the memo below and make sure you read a any references. Knowledge is power. You can not be seperated for a condition that disallows you for sea duty. There is plenty of postings on these forums. You might habe to fight if you are being unfairly seperated. Keep in mind they can still discharge you for traditional means ie 3 prt failures.

Attachments

• SecNav Memo to CMC Administrative Separation Policy Guidance 9 March 2011[1].pdf
    84.8 KB · Views: 6
Marducci,
From my own experience, the NMA plays a huge role in the fit/unfit decision. If your CO is saying you can still perform your duties and your department is not effected by your limitations, then why would they find you unfit? I only say this because I went through it. I had an NMA that was written more like an award and I was found fit. I appealed the findings and requested a new NMA. This time (after my Dept Head talked to my JAG officer and she told her what information is needed on an NMA and that it's not an award letter) my new NMA stated how my limitations effected the department. Within two weeks of my appeal being sent off my PEBLO called me and told me my package was going to the VA for a rating and I would not have to go to a formal board. Initially when my case came back fit, my PEBLO was baffled until he looked at my NMA... He said it was because of the was my NMA was written. My JAG officer said the same exact thing...

Yes, you are right. A retired JAG Cmdr, i have been talking too said the same exact thing. I was pretty involve on my NMA. Be honest. Make sure if it says you unfit for sea and why, how it affects your rate. Not sure of your sea or shore rotation, but you said you were a recruiter. Keep in mind your shore duty department and a sea duty. You said you NMA says you can do your job, but can you do your job at sea. That is all i am saying. Good Luck. It is hard. I had to research on my own.

Thanks everybody! Haven't been on in a while. I have been talking to my CoC about this and spoke with JAG, as well. I'm an FC so I'm in a sea going rate and my PRD is 12 of 2013. I came to the conclusion after reading my NARSUM and NMA that I may be found fit, and if I am, I will rebut with a new NMA and personal statement. I won't be fit for sea duty as I have to be followed by a GI doc (and I have NO intention of becoming an NC). My package was received by the PEB on March 30th, so I suppose I won't hear anything for a long time.

On a different note, I'm really upset by this whole process. Also, a little embarassed. This a tangled web to navigate through; as soon as I think I understand it, something else pops up. My CoC is helpful but they've never been through the process, so they have (at best) a limited understanding of what goes into it. As an E6, it's been tough and stressful to get through. I'm asking questions at every turn, whenever somebody will listen. I feel bad for any Seaman, Airman, or Fireman who has to go through this process and doesn't know they have rights.

This forum is an extremely valuable resource for anybody going through this process and should be given out by every service in Boot Camp or indoc.

I have had Crohn's for almost 4 years and that is one of my conditions for my PEB. I hope that dont give me the runaround. One good thing is that when I went to the VA they didnt even ask about the Crohn's because they said they had plenty of evidence and that it is well documented. God bless to all of you and good luck. Active bud!

Still going thru the PEB. On Ebenefits my statuse is Pending Decision Approval, so i have not received my decision or my ratings yet. Most guys on here get from 10% to 40%, I guess I will see.