commanders statement help!

mjeremi7

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good day all,

I was told that the commanders impact statement is a part of my MEB packet. He was given ten days to send a response and I don't think he will because he is currently out-processing. The ten days are up so I wanted to maybe write one and have him sign it due to the fact that he knows nothing about my condition and well being.

is there anyone who can assist me with basic structure and important words on how to write this?

Good day all,

I was told that the commanders impact statement is a part of my MEB packet. He was given ten days to send a response and I don't think he will because he is currently out-processing. The ten days are up so I wanted to maybe write one and have him sign it due to the fact that he knows nothing about my condition and well being.

is there anyone who can assist me with basic structure and important words on how to write this?

This post is an "oldie but a goodie." I first wrote this back in 2009. The principles remain the same. Ideal letters will contain at least three elements:
1) Basis for the opinion;
2) A discussion of each condition and how each condition impacts duty performance;
3) Explanation of any inconsistencies.

http://www.pebforum.com/threads/i-need-af-commanders-letter-example.2858/post-11246

I have written on this topic many dozens of times here on the forums. Use the search function to see my discussions on this topic. You did not state what is your branch of service. There are specific forms/formats for each branch of service (though, there is nothing that prohibits a commander from submitting a memorandum/letter).

Hope this helped and hope you get your desired outcome.

My commander received a email requesting him to fill out the commanders letter. It’s been three weeks now. I’m in the Air Guard.
Still waiting.

My commander received a email requesting him to fill out the commanders letter. It’s been three weeks now. I’m in the Air Guard.
Still waiting.

Don't hold your breath.

I wrote my own and sent it to the Shirt. Shirt/CC did a couple edits, called me into his office 2 days later to go over it.

I wrote my own and sent it to the Shirt. Shirt/CC did a couple edits, called me into his office 2 days later to go over it.
That is not that unusual. Hope it was accurate and supported your case. Best of luck!

This information was up to date as of May 2018. These documents would support AF and ANG IDES process. My experience was the same as others because your best chance is to fill out the form and provide it to your Commander. Then have a discussion if possible. According to the form the individual provides
VII. AIRMAN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT.

Attachments

• Commander Statement Fact Sheet 15 Jun 17 (NEW).pdf
    217 KB · Views: 197
  • Commander's Impact Statement_AF Form 1185_15 Jun 17 Test Lock.pdf
    32 KB · Views: 195
This information was up to date as of May 2018. These documents would support AF and ANG IDES process. My experience was the same as others because your best chance is to fill out the form and provide it to your Commander. Then have a discussion if possible. According to the form the individual provides
Thank you very much.

Thank you for this

So I spoke to my PEBLO on Friday and he informed me that the commander have a suspense, and it will show up on the wing board as overdue. That should be the fire they need. overdue tasks on a big screen will be embarrassing. It will show that they're not taking care of business.

So I spoke to my PEBLO on Friday and he informed me that the commander have a suspense, and it will show up on the wing board as overdue. That should be the fire they need. overdue tasks on a big screen will be embarrassing. It will show that they're not taking care of business.
Yes that works sometimes. But when all the bosses are drinking buddies. It just don’t matter. It’s got to the point, commanders do what they want. At least that’s what I’ve seen in my career.

I did the same. Wrote my own and sent it to him. He added a couple of things and sent it to the Battalion CDR who signed it. This is important if you want things counted in your MEB other than what you were referred for because it shows it impacts you. No one is going to take care of you but you.

Good day all,

Writing your own commander’s statement? You really think that is an honest thing to do?

I think it depends on the situation. I agree wholeheartedly that at a minimum the SM should have input into it. At a maximum you do what I did, write it yourself, and send it to your commander for his signature. When I sent mine I told him in the email that was my input, if he didn’t like it he was more than welcome to change it, obviously, and I wouldn’t be upset. Ended up commander was glad I did it because he had no clue how anything impacted me. And in fact didn’t even realize I’d sent it to him until he called me in because the PEBLO notified him they needed it, and he needed to know how I was impacted. I see my commander maybe once a month, sometimes less. I never work with him. I haven’t seen a company commander on a daily basis since I was in a line unit, which is to say 5 years and 2 units ago. Either way, it’s your future, not his or hers. You should have input into what goes into it.