Compensation Estimate Help

c7719

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello,
I am wondering if someone could provide an estimate for my compensation.

-I was just rated 50% by the DoD PDRL, and 60% by the VA.
-Currently an active duty Army O2, exactly two years of service, no dependents/single, not prior service
-No deployments
-Base pay was $3108 June 2018 through December 2018 (7 months). January 2019 through November 2019 base pay was $3188 (11 months). December 2019 base pay was $3673 (1 month). January 2020 through now, base pay is $3788 (5 months). My base pay goes up starting with this upcoming June paycheck to $4313 a month...signed ratings on Friday so not sure how long I'll get that paycheck for. I am going to sell back all of my leave. Not sure how to calculate high 3 given that I have only been in for two years

Thanks for any help you can provide

Hello @c7719

1. High-3: If you entered active or reserve military service after September 7, 1980, your retired pay base is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay. If you served less than three years, your base will be the average monthly active duty basic pay during your period of service.

2. If you served exactly 24 months, you would determine the total base pay for those 24 months and divide by 24.

3. Your "high 24 average" x 50% = your retired pay

4. The amount determined via item 3 will be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation in accordance with current law. You would keep any residual pay remaining.

5. If eligible, you could apply for CRSC. See A Supplement to CRSC Information <---LINK

6. If approved, your CRSC would be a relatively small amount. It likely would be: "High 24 average" x 5% (five percent) = longevity portion of your retired pay and one of the ceilings for CRSC.

Ron

Since you only have 2 years of service, are you under the BRS (Blended Retirement System)?

And just a FYI, remember retirement only applies to BASE PAY (no BAH, BAS or other compensations).

Re: "Since you only have 2 years of service, are you under the BRS (Blended Retirement System)?"

Very good...I overlooked that possibility. I have seen only a couple of BRS cases thus far.

The formula for multiplier: Your "high 24 average" x 50% = your retired pay (it does not change because of the BRS) since the DoD disability percentage is higher.

This would change:
6. If approved, your CRSC would be a relatively small amount. It likely would be: "High 24 average" x 5% (five percent) 4% (four percent)= longevity portion of your retired pay and one of the ceilings for CRSC.

I am glad @heathro1281 noticed the probably of BRS.

Ron

Since you only have 2 years of service, are you under the BRS (Blended Retirement System)?

And just a FYI, remember retirement only applies to BASE PAY (no BAH, BAS or other compensations).
Yes I am under BRS and thanks for the remainder about the retirement pay!