CRDP help

RaiderX

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
This has been discussed at length before. Currently 100% PT VA, 60% DOD with a 20 yr Leter.

This is the clause under CDRP I am looking at: you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.

Now Looking at my retirement memo:
This memorandum is to advise you that in accordance with the findings and recommendation
of the United States Army Physical Disability Agency, you have been found to have a disability
and will be permanently retired with a disability rating of 60 percent. The attached Department
of the Army Order (Encl 1) announces the effective date of your retirement, and your retired pay
will be computed from this date.

My retirement date is 30 April 2018

Using this I should be eligible correct?

Hello,

In addition to your CH 61 retirement, you would have to also qualify for one of the following retirements and be eligible to receive retirement pay now, under the additional retirement: (The >= 50% threshold of VA compensation applies for CRDP eligibility.)

—Regular, 20 years active duty
—Reserve, 20 good years and meets the age requirement

DFAS States:

you may be entitled to CRDP if…

you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.

you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)

you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.

you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.

—-

I did not include TERA as that is a force reduction tool and it would not be used in conjunction with a disability retirement.

Ron

DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 64

The financial regulation shown above discusses the requirements in depth.

Edited to add: Since our last conversation in May 2018, I have encountered three reserve retirees who had 7200 points or more and began receiving reserve retired pay without meeting the age requirement of 60(which can be reduced....”any member of the Ready Reserve who is recalled to active duty or, in response to a national emergency, is called to certain active service after January 28, 2008, shall have the age 60 requirement reduced by 3 months for each cumulative period of 90 days so performed in any fiscal year after that date.”)

In other words, they began receiving retired pay because of the 7200 points and not due to meeting the age requirement with or without the “recall to active duty or in response...” provision. Of course, they also had 20 good years.

Ron

640203. Physical Disability Retirement

Members retired for physical disability who have less than 20 years of service creditable for the purposes of computing retired pay are not eligible for CRDP, unless they have 20 years of service for determining entitlement to non-regular (reserve) retired pay and are otherwise eligible for such reserve retired pay.

you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.

Is this where the whole age 60 thing comes into play that HRC seems to want to live by?

Yes.

This question comes up frequently.

Reason: Generally, reserve retired pay is not payable until age 60. CRDP is also Retired Pay; it is the mechanism that restores the longevity portion of retirement pay. If one is not receiving retired pay (or not currently eligible to receive it) , CRDP does not apply.

CRDP is included in the gross retired pay on page one of a DFAS RAS. Page two of the RAS shows the amount of the gross on page one that was restored via CRDP. Since CRDP is Retired Pay, it is taxable.

Ron

you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay

So either A. DFAS needs to caveat the above statement, Or B. HRC needs to make a correction

Right now all I am receiving is VA.

6804 retirement points by the way

Re: “...HRC seems to want to live by?”

The CRDP and CRSC eligibilty requirements are governed by law. The regulations of the services follow the intent of the laws.

Ron

you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay

So either A. DFAS needs to caveat the above statement, Or B. HRC needs to make a correction

Right now all I am receiving is VA.

6804 retirement points by the way

I agree that some regulations can be better written. On the other hand, eligibility for retired pay is clearly defined. The age requirement for reserve retirement is not new.

Ron

Untill I read this DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 64. All I had to go off of is what DFAS shows at face value. The worse part is HRC never gave me this reference.

If you choose to contact DFAS about this matter, the address is:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retired Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200

Ron

So this really dosent apply to Reservist it adds to the confusion "you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay"

This is the only one that applies "you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.) "

The first paragraph pertains to eligibility for reserve retirements in general; as you know, most reserve retirements do not include a CH 61 retirement. One has to attain age 60 (or so) to become eligible to receive reserve retired pay.

The second paragraph pertains to CH 61 retirements who have the qualifying service AND have reached the age requirement for receipt of reserve retirement pay.

Both paragraphs have the age requirement (of around 60) for receipt of retired pay as a reservist.

Ron

and unfortunately I don't qualify for reduced age retirement either...