DA 199?

The board find the soldier is physically unfit and recommends a rating of 80% and that the soldiers disposition be permanent disability retirement.
conditions unfitting ar ptsd 70% ,d.d.d 20% rounds to DOD 80%. question is on disability of ptsd appears a code (V1/V3YES) what means?, and in the condition of back pain are none codes why?

section V:the disability disposition is based on disease or injury incurred in the line of duty in combat with an enemy of the us and as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war bla bla bla

2 bla bla

3 the disability did result from a combat- related injury under USC bla bla

means can i apply in the future for crscp? VA 90%

The board find the soldier is physically unfit and recommends a rating of 80% and that the soldiers disposition be permanent disability retirement.
conditions unfitting ar ptsd 70% ,d.d.d 20% rounds to DOD 80%. question is on disability of ptsd appears a code (V1/V3YES) what means?, and in the condition of back pain are none codes why?

section V:the disability disposition is based on disease or injury incurred in the line of duty in combat with an enemy of the us and as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war bla bla bla

2 bla bla

Indeed, congratulations on a 80% DoD PDRL determination with a PTSD medical condition; it's a rare finding by the PEB for sure! :)

In response to your specific inquiry, military service members whose disabilities are the direct result of armed combat, combat devices, or combat training (often grouped together under the term “combat related”) are authorized tax exemptions for their disabilities and may be entitled to Federal employment benefits.

"Section V - Administrative Determinations" of the DA Form 199 states...

1. The disability disposition “is based” or “is not based” on disease or injury incurred in the line of duty in combat with an enemy of the United States and as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war (5 USC 8332, 3502, and 6303). (This determination is made for all compensable cases but pertains to potential benefits for disability retirees employed under Federal Civil Service.)

2. Evidence of record reflects the Soldier “was” or “was not” a member or obligated to become a member of an armed force or Reserve thereof, or the NOAA or the USPHS on 24 September 1975.

3. The disability “did” or “did not” result from a combat-related injury under the provisions of 26 USC 104 or 10 USC 10216.

To that extent, in your particular situation, the V1 and V3 codes correspond/relate to each aforementioned numbers above as determined by the USAPDA PEB (e.g., 1 = V1 ("is based"), and 3 = V3 ("did") for your PTSD unfitting condition.

As such, your DDD back unfitting condition was probably not combat-related and they elected not to show it as a (V1/V3 NO) annotation on the DA Form 199 in my opinion.

Moreover, applying for CRSC benefits are separate and distinct actions not related to the PEB’s decision albeit it can be supportive in nature as evidence upon the Service specify branch's review of your CRSC application.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

2 bla bla

means can i apply in the future for
Indeed, congratulations on a 80% DoD PDRL determination with a PTSD medical condition; it's a rare finding by the PEB for sure! :)

In response to your specific inquiry, military service members whose disabilities are the direct result of armed combat, combat devices, or combat training (often grouped together under the term “combat related”) are authorized tax exemptions for their disabilities and may be entitled to Federal employment benefits.

"Section V - Administrative Determinations" of the DA Form 199 states...

1. The disability disposition “is based” or “is not based” on disease or injury incurred in the line of duty in combat with an enemy of the United States and as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war (5 USC 8332, 3502, and 6303). (This determination is made for all compensable cases but pertains to potential benefits for disability retirees employed under Federal Civil Service.)

2. Evidence of record reflects the Soldier “was” or “was not” a member or obligated to become a member of an armed force or Reserve thereof, or the NOAA or the USPHS on 24 September 1975.

3. The disability “did” or “did not” result from a combat-related injury under the provisions of 26 USC 104 or 10 USC 10216.

To that extent, in your particular situation, the V1 and V3 codes correspond/relate to each aforementioned numbers above as determined by the USAPDA PEB (e.g., 1 = V1 ("is based"), and 3 = V3 ("did") for your PTSD unfitting condition.

As such, your DDD back unfitting condition was probably not combat-related and they elected not to show it as a (V1/V3 NO) annotation on the DA Form 199 in my opinion.

Moreover, applying for CRSC benefits are separate and distinct actions not related to the PEB’s decision albeit it can be supportive in nature as evidence upon the Service specify branch's review of your CRSC application.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

yes i have been told the same from my AW2 ADVOCATE IT IS VERY RARE TO HAVE A PDRL DECISION FOR PTSD
AS FOR MY BACK CONDITION THE EXACT DIAGNOSIS IS( INTER VERTEBRAL DISC SYNDROME WITH DEGENERATIVE ARTHRITIS CHANGES ) 20% INJURED WILE JUMPING OUT OF THE RG31 DURING A FIRE FIGHT IN AFGHANISTAN DOCUMENTED IN A LOD AND EMERGENCY ROOM RECORD ARMY MOS 12B, SO WEN MY PEBLO CALL ME TOMORROW TO SING THE 199 I NEED TO ADDRESS THAT TO HEM ? OR IS NO NEED TO DUE A ELEVATED % ON PTSD? 70% THE ARMY WILL NOT PAYME MORE THAN 75% WHAT IS THE RECOMMENDATION ON THE POSSIBLE MISSING 5%

2 bla bla

means can i apply in the future for

yes i have been told the same from my AW2 ADVOCATE IT IS VERY RARE TO HAVE A PDRL DECISION FOR PTSD
AS FOR MY BACK CONDITION THE EXACT DIAGNOSIS IS( INTER VERTEBRAL DISC SYNDROME WITH DEGENERATIVE ARTHRITIS CHANGES ) 20% INJURED WILE JUMPING OUT OF THE RG31 DURING A FIRE FIGHT IN AFGHANISTAN DOCUMENTED IN A LOD AND EMERGENCY ROOM RECORD ARMY MOS 12B, SO WEN MY PEBLO CALL ME TOMORROW TO SING THE 199 I NEED TO ADDRESS THAT TO HEM ? OR IS NO NEED TO DUE A ELEVATED % ON PTSD? 70% THE ARMY WILL NOT PAYME MORE THAN 75% WHAT IS THE RECOMMENDATION ON THE POSSIBLE MISSING 5%

Indeed; yes, yes, and again, yes make the inquiry with your PEBLO tomorrow PRIOR to signing the DA Form 199 in my opinion! ;)

From your feedback as annotated above, it seems to be a combat-related injury with good medical evidence and well-written documentation.

To that extent, it's probable that your DDD back unfitting condition's lack of a combat-related determination (e.g., V1/V3 YES) was an unintentional oversight by the PEB and it may be corrected without the demand of formal PEB hearing; I am not exactly sure!

For sure, the military disability rating percentage is capped at 75%; therefore, the potential missing 5% may equal up to a couple of hundred dollars extra "tax-free" per month which in turn becomes a couple of thousand dollars extra "tax-free" per year in military disability compensation.

Moreover, I suggest that you do the "math" then evaluate if seeking the extra 5% in tax-free income is advantageous to your particular situation; if so, go for it, otherwise continue to march forward with your life in my opinion.

Best Wishes!

thank you!!! warrior i go and make the inquiry to my peblo and try to get my 5% ALSO IN MY da form 5829 and the 199 my pay grade appears as a E-4 i have been told that if i am going to medical retire the last pending pay grade apply i send my unit promotion list, i am on it to my peblo wen i began the MEB that needs to be corrected or can be addressed later in the process ?

And what is the next step in the process more waiting game?

thank you!!! warrior i go and make the inquiry to my peblo and try to get my 5% ALSO IN MY da form 5829 and the 199 my pay grade appears as a E-4 i have been told that if i am going to medical retire the last pending pay grade apply i send my unit promotion list, i am on it to my peblo wen i began the MEB that needs to be corrected or can be addressed later in the process ?

And what is the next step in the process more waiting game?

Indeed, you are welcome! :)

Hmm, I am not sure about a pending promotion list while in the DoD IDES process, but I am certain others with more pinpointed knowledge shall provide their feedback.

When the DA Form 199 is finally signed [e.g. after resolution of a PEB appeal/review and/or an one-time VA Rating Reconsideration (VARR) request, if warranted], then it's forwarded to the Transition Point Processing System (TRANSPOC) II.

To that extent, TRANSPOC II performs transition processing functions in which it generates the DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release from Active Duty or Discharge) document, and schedules the generation of retirement/ separation orders from US Military.

Moreover, your PEBLO should coordinate with the MSC to schedule the DoVA exit interview at this point.

Best Wishes!

2 bla bla

Yes V1/V3 means it is combat related and you will be able to apply for CRSC once you are out and recieve your VA award letter(Final Ratings)

@ankon1979 Yes, it is rare finding people being PDRL for PTSD, you are the only other person I have seen on this site besides me that got PDRL.

@ankon1979 Yes, it is rare finding people being PDRL for PTSD, you are the only other person I have seen on this site besides me that got PDRL.

woow it's a rare finding only you and me on this forum on my case probably is because i am NG and i receiving treatment for this condition since 2010

Longstanding treatment, lack of change of medications or other treatment modalities, and no significant changes in condition are markers for a PDRL finding for mental health conditions. With PTSD, I would add, a finding of at least a 50% rating (but, more likely a 70% or higher rating) are baseline requirements. (Additionally, having total other conditions rating at least 80%, is a way to get a PDRL finding).

woow it's a rare finding only you and me on this forum on my case probably is because i am NG and i receiving treatment for this condition since 2010

Based upon my interactions on the PEB Forum, I have noticed a total of at least eight members (including you both) who self-reported the receipt of a PDRL finding with a PTSD mental health medical condition albeit it's rare indeed and not the norm for a PEB adjudication supportive of Jason's sound insightful feedback above; a good stable outcome for sure in my opinion and as such, congratulations! :D

Best Wishes!

Longstanding treatment, lack of change of medications or other treatment modalities, and no significant changes in condition are markers for a PDRL finding for mental health conditions. With PTSD, I would add, a finding of at least a 50% rating (but, more likely a 70% or higher rating) are baseline requirements. (Additionally, having total other conditions rating at least 80%, is a way to get a PDRL finding).
Yes, this is why I so commonly say wording of the condition has an effect on the outcome also. i.e. stable, must take medications for the rest of their life...

Agree with you all. Here is the main IPEB finding (in my case) hope help any one else in the forum the diagnosis is:(. 1. Evaluation of (PTSD) with cognitive impairment,residual of (TBI) also claimed as dizziness previously denied as major depression with sleep disturbance and memory loss. diagnostic code in DA199 are 8045-9411 (MEB Dx 2)

The soldier was deployed to Afghanistan July 2009-March 2010. The behavioral health examiner attributes this condition to the experience of combat stressors (V1/V3 YES). The condition is rated by VA. Despite multiple treatment modalities to include psychotropic medications and psychotherapy the soldier's impairment persist. IAW DoD 1332.38,E3.P3.4.1.1., This condition is unfitting because the symptoms of flashback ,sleep impairment,irritability,out burst of anger,exaggerated startle response,difficulty concentrating and hyper vigilance significantly impair soldier's social and occupational functioning. Additionally, this condition prevent the soldier from carrying or firing his assigned weapon or living in austere environment without worsening this condition. VASR 4.129 does not apply for re-exam purposes; Soldier is a member of the national guard not on active duty. The soldier's Commander does not recommend retention.

( DA 3349,DA 7652, DA 4652, Behavioral Health NARSUM , VA C & P Exam. VA Rating decision , RC SMSC medical validation brief, LOD'S , DA2173 )

my case is at FT Gordon and the PEB determination came from FT.Sam Huston

sleep impairment,irritability,out burst of anger are the worse in my case, i have a real bad temper have problems with all in my surrounding i try to help an talk with fellow vets. in this forum there no vets.in the area were i live and is hard to talk to some body that don't understand

thank you all!!

Last edited:
Agree with you all. Here is the main IPEB finding (in my case) hope help any one else in the forum the diagnosis is:(. 1. Evaluation of (PTSD) with cognitive impairment,residual of (TBI) also claimed as dizziness previously denied as major depression with sleep disturbance and memory loss. diagnostic code in DA199 are 8045-9411 (MEB Dx 2)

The soldier was deployed to Afghanistan July 2009-March 2010. The behavioral health examiner attributes this condition to the experience of combat stressors (V1/V3 YES). The condition is rated by VA. Despite multiple treatment modalities to include psychotropic medications and psychotherapy the soldier's impairment persist. IAW DoD 1332.38,E3.P3.4.1.1., This condition is unfitting because the symptoms of flashback ,sleep impairment,irritability,out burst of anger,exaggerated startle response,difficulty concentrating and hyper vigilance significantly impair soldier's social and occupational functioning. Additionally, this condition prevent the soldier from carrying or firing his assigned weapon or living in austere environment without worsening this condition. VASR 4.129 does not apply for re-exam purposes; Soldier is a member of the national guard not on active duty. The soldier's Commander does not recommend retention.

( DA 3349,DA 7652, DA 4652, Behavioral Health NARSUM , VA C & P Exam. VA Rating decision , RC SMSC medical validation brief, LOD'S , DA2173 )

my case is at FT Gordon and the PEB determination came from FT.Sam Huston

sleep impairment,irritability,out burst of anger are the worse in my case, i have a real bad temper have problems with all in my surrounding i try to help an talk with fellow vets. in this forum there no vets.in the area were i live and is hard to talk to some body that don't understand

thank you all!!

Indeed, you are most welcome! :)

Please continue to focus and concentrate on trying to improve the symptomatology of your medical conditions. Trust me, we all are very aware that it's a daily challenge and most days are a daily struggle (at least for me) to perform the activities of daily living (ADL).

But, I shall definitely move onward to enjoy my life with my family; and you can too in my opinion. Remember, we are here! Take care my brother!

Best Wishes!