Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, 3 hernied discs, DDD, CFS,spinal stenosis etc

Nemochick

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
OK, First off, yes I am broke. In 2009 I injured my back and was diagonsed with 3 herniated discs, I was in recruiting at the time and received my profile from FT. Knox. I received a P2 profile that kept from from doing situps and no run anymore just the walk and pushups. Despite here and there issues I associated with getting old, pain here and there and stiffness and so many other sumptoms but I associated that from just getting old. Last April while attending NCO school I reinjured my back and from that point on the pain associated with the injury progressivly got worse and moved to my entire body. A pain so intense that it feels like i am being torn apart. Since last april I was diagonosed with Fibro, Osteo, DDD, 3 herinated disc, spinal stenoisis, vitamin D deficancy, flat feet, CFS, gout I also had TFC repair on my wrist in 2010, just to name a few. An ortho surgeon at first wanted to repair the discs but changed his mind once I was diagonosied. He stated that surgery would only make my disorder worse. To make matters worse I am a Supply Sergeant and am unable to preform the phyiscal demands of the job.

I have been being treated by a civilian Rheumatologist as I am not near a Military Post so far the treatment and meds have not helped and I am now up to 266 pills a week. The doctor has removed all narcotics for a years now and I will say I am happy about that as they didn't help anyway. Because I am an active duty reservist meaning AGR I am treated as a regular active duty soldier but the process to do a MEB is a lil different than regular active duty mainly since I am not near a VA or MTF. I am either given a Prementant profile from the yearly PHA or I fill out a form.

My question for you is..... my civilian doctor has never worked with the military so he is unsure of what he should be writting, how it should be worded etc so that it starts the process of an MEB and PEB so that I will be discharged and medically retired. My Rheumatologist feels that further service would only serve to make the disorder worse. I ETS in 2016 but will fall short of 18 years active duty service so a medical retirement is what I will need to get. :-(

Any advise anyone can give to me would be helpful. WE have not started the request for profile from the 88th RSC as of yet as I have to submit this letter from Rheumatologist with the paperwork request. I am not due for a PHA and have to request to cancel an NCO school before feb.

Thank you

Shannon

DO not self cancel the school,

The docs do not need to write anything specifically as there is no form to fill out to request a discharge/MEB etc., Where ever your servicing personnel flight is, will also be your serrvicing medical, you need to get an appointment, and take everything in to them. Let them know what your doctor has stated concerning continued service etc. request a Perm. profile, a perm. profile will initiate a MEB typically.

I know for the AF there is an off base doctor form for initiating duty limiting conditions and recommendations, not sure for you. The main thing to know is to get that perm. profile and work with your OMBUDSMAN or patient advocate to get the MEB rolling.

I dont cancel my Battalion is cancelling so that another soldier can take the spot. Since I currently have a temp profile it is a waste of the armys money to send me. I asked out personnel SGT is there was a form I could take to civilian Rheumatoligist and she stated no. We send paperwork up or declared at our yearly exam.. The exam is 29 Jan and school is 20 Feb so the battalion has to cancel otherwise we get a NO SHOW and that is not a good thing. heads roll with a NO SHOW.

Okies, no prob. Was just pointing out not to initiate a cancellation yourself, as along with no shows etc. being slapped with a failure to progress or whatever for "dodging" PME can be held over your head, and until you are officially in the IDES system and on a profile some units have a nasty habit of finding any reason to get folks out. I woulg get all your paperwork/documentation and letters from your docs for the 29th appt and hit em with both barrels.

OK, First off, yes I am broke. In 2009 I injured my back and was diagonsed with 3 herniated discs, I was in recruiting at the time and received my profile from FT. Knox. I received a P2 profile that kept from from doing situps and no run anymore just the walk and pushups. Despite here and there issues I associated with getting old, pain here and there and stiffness and so many other sumptoms but I associated that from just getting old. Last April while attending NCO school I reinjured my back and from that point on the pain associated with the injury progressivly got worse and moved to my entire body. A pain so intense that it feels like i am being torn apart. Since last april I was diagonosed with Fibro, Osteo, DDD, 3 herinated disc, spinal stenoisis, vitamin D deficancy, flat feet, CFS, gout I also had TFC repair on my wrist in 2010, just to name a few. An ortho surgeon at first wanted to repair the discs but changed his mind once I was diagonosied. He stated that surgery would only make my disorder worse. To make matters worse I am a Supply Sergeant and am unable to preform the phyiscal demands of the job.

I have been being treated by a civilian Rheumatologist as I am not near a Military Post so far the treatment and meds have not helped and I am now up to 266 pills a week. The doctor has removed all narcotics for a years now and I will say I am happy about that as they didn't help anyway. Because I am an active duty reservist meaning AGR I am treated as a regular active duty soldier but the process to do a MEB is a lil different than regular active duty mainly since I am not near a VA or MTF. I am either given a Prementant profile from the yearly PHA or I fill out a form.

My question for you is..... my civilian doctor has never worked with the military so he is unsure of what he should be writting, how it should be worded etc so that it starts the process of an MEB and PEB so that I will be discharged and medically retired. My Rheumatologist feels that further service would only serve to make the disorder worse. I ETS in 2016 but will fall short of 18 years active duty service so a medical retirement is what I will need to get. :-(

Any advise anyone can give to me would be helpful. WE have not started the request for profile from the 88th RSC as of yet as I have to submit this letter from Rheumatologist with the paperwork request. I am not due for a PHA and have to request to cancel an NCO school before feb.

Thank you

Shannon
If you are NG AGR, the battalion surgeon can assist with the profile, if you are AR AGR, the RSC Surgeon can assist with the profile.

Make sure all of your TRICARE civilian medical records are getting inputted into AHLTA. This means get a copy of the record each and every week, send it to the place where you are TRICARE Prime at with a DA-200. Keep copies of everything for yourself.

Had profile since 2009 so this will add to it.. I'm Reserve AGR. I'm tricare remote so not near MTF. I can check and see if there is a number I can load to. I'm looking for a format for how my rheumatologist can write his physicians letter so I can send it to him.

Already spoke with RSC surgeon know the process somewhat just looks for ideas for physician letter

Although I'm still in IDES process started with the 88th RSC back in 2012-currently appealed FBEB stage.
I've attached a DBQ for Fibromyalgia that can be used. You can get other DBQs at http://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/dbq_disabilityexams.asp.

I don't believe there is a particular format for doctor letters or buddy letters either for that matter. Although I haven't been able to obtain letters from doctors yet, I've been able to get many buddy letters from my Commander, FLL, rating chain, civilian coworkers, long time friend/comrade previously in the Army with me and my spouse in a variety of formats, including hand written, that seem to be working for me ---so far.
Below is a sample of of a doctor nexus letter that I got from another site--I don't remember which one-since I copy and pasted it to a Word doc quite some time ago--anyway--you probably don't need a nexus letter, but this might help????
I've used DBQs, but the doctors didn't really complete them or didn't really care to complete them accurately(my PCP)-most of them referred to their dated notes. So I'm not sure they are going to help much in my case. Good luck!

Reference: Your full name
Your reference numbers, SSN, etc.
To whom it may concern;

I am a (specialty) physician (Medical Doctor).
I have reviewed the Service Medical Record of Veteran Josephine Sixpack as well as her more contemporary medical records and history.
(If a physical examination has occurred, discuss that and report the findings now.)
(Describe rationale. For example; This veteran has no known history of exposure to risk factors that
may pose a risk for the hepatitis C virus. There are no tattoos and the veteran denies a history of
multiple sexual partners, intranasal cocaine abuse, IV drug abuse, etc.

I have concluded and it is my opinion that it is more likely than not that the veteran's current condition
of (name the condition, illness, injury) was caused by (events) and during the time of military service.

(Signed)
Ima Quack, M.D.
Address, etc.

Attachments

• DBQ FIBROMYALGIA VBA-21-0960C-7-ARE.pdf
    548.3 KB · Views: 35
Because I am an active duty reservist meaning AGR I am treated as a regular active duty soldier but the process to do a MEB is a lil different than regular active duty mainly since I am not near a VA or MTF. I am either given a Prementant profile from the yearly PHA or I fill out a form.

Any advise anyone can give to me would be helpful. WE have not started the request for profile from the 88th RSC as of yet as I have to submit this letter from Rheumatologist with the paperwork request.

Well, if the point of the letter is to trigger an MEB, I would say that the doctor must cover whether or not your conditions meet retention standards in AR 40-501, Chapter 3.

It seems unlikely that your civilian doc would be able to initiate. However, a letter from him may be used, I suppose, as a source document for the military doc/profiling officer to initiate the profile that will trigger the MEB. I understand the remote location and being AGR issue- still, you are going to have to be seen (or at least have your case reviewed) by a military doctor. (The previous letter example seems more suited to try to establish service connection for the VA. I think you want to have a letter that focuses on retention standards and, perhaps, functional limitations).

I not only have experience as an Army PA with 25 years, I also have Fibro and CFS. I have a 90% VA rating with a new case pending for my neck surgery and chronic pain. I was awarded 60% for CFS. As far as getting a good rating, I agree with the post about getting a DBQ. In addition to the one for Fibro, get one filled out for every condition you have. You can download a DBQ for every condition you have, just google DBQ and condition. They are on the VA website.
Take the DBQ's to your doctor, but you also need to do this. VERY IMPORTANT.
Take a DA form 3349 PULHES form. Ask your Doc to answer the questions in a letter on whether or not you can do the following
a. ABLE TO CARRY AND FIRE INDIVIDUAL ASSIGNED WEAPON

b. ABLE TO MOVE WITH A FIGHTING LOAD AT LEAST 2 MILES (48 LBS. Includes helmet, boots, uniform, LBE, weapon, protective mask, pack, etc.)

c. ABLE TO WEAR PROTECTIVE MASK AND ALL CHEMICAL DEFENSE EQUIPMENT

d. ABLE TO CONSTRUCT AN INDIVIDUAL FIGHTING POSITION (Dig, fill, & lift sand bags, etc.)

e. ABLE TO DO 3-5 SECOND RUSHES UNDER DIRECT AND INDIRECT FIRE

f. IS SOLDIER HEALTHY WITHOUT ANY MEDICAL CONDITION THAT PREVENTS DEPLOYMENT?

Have her answer each question relating to your current conditions.
Ask her to give a prognosis? Is condition likely to improve?
I understand your PHA is an annual event, however. Log into AKO and initiate a new PHA. Answer all of the questions on the member portion and submit it. Let your COC know that you had a change in your medical conditions and you need a new PHA. They should schedule a new PHA and give you a new profile. Once complete the new profile should initiate an MRDP or Medical Decision Point. If MRDP finds you unfit, they will initiate MEB. Take your letter and all medical records to PHA.

Update and Question.

Received a letter from my rheumatologist on Wednesday and my unit send it forward with a 507 and the profile my rheumy filled out. The 88th RSC did a temp profile with a 412111 received it Thursday morning and submitted for a perm 412111 and the MEB requested but still awaiting the second signature for the perm profile. Notes on medpros states duty related:Yes Disposition: Separation Recommended

Question
My unit just sent one of the dr letters to start the process but I have received three others since Thursday. I can add those to the MEB correct????

Below is the letter well the wording from the letter that my doctor did and was sent up with profile and 507. image.jpg