Getting awarded Permanent and Total

penelope10

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was medically retired after 21 years in the Navy via PEB in April of 2016 and received 100% combined rating from the VA (11 Conditions rated 60, 50, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, 10, 0, 0, 0). Two of my conditions, hidradenitis suppurativa 60% and fibromyalgia 40%, were not permanent ratings and required reevaluation. Because of this, I am not considered permanent and total, which prevents me from getting certain benefits. One of the biggest ones is property tax relief to the tune of $7000 per year.

My question, when will the VA schedule my reevaluation? Do I need to prompt them?

I was told I could fill out a VA Form 21-526B to request that they make me permanent and total now, and I could include a letter from my rheumatologist regarding my fibromyalgia and a letter from my dermatologist regarding my hidradenitis suppurativa, stating that neither condition has improved and does not look like it will improve in the future. Any thoughts of going this route?

Also, even without fibromyalgia I would still be at 100%. I have had hidradenitis suppurativa for nearly 15 years and it has become progressively worse (started at stage 1, now I am the highest, stage 3). Both conditions well documented in my record.

I was in the same situation back in 2015. Only a few of my ratings were temporary, but that made me not permanent. The claim was appealed and 7 months later received a permanent rating. The appeal, as expected required documentation. The sooner you ask the sooner you will know.

Wishing you the best.

I was medically retired after 21 years in the Navy via PEB in April of 2016 and received 100% combined rating from the VA (11 Conditions rated 60, 50, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, 10, 0, 0, 0). Two of my conditions, hidradenitis suppurativa 60% and fibromyalgia 40%, were not permanent ratings and required reevaluation. Because of this, I am not considered permanent and total, which prevents me from getting certain benefits. One of the biggest ones is property tax relief to the tune of $7000 per year.

My question, when will the VA schedule my reevaluation? Do I need to prompt them?

I was told I could fill out a VA Form 21-526B to request that they make me permanent and total now, and I could include a letter from my rheumatologist regarding my fibromyalgia and a letter from my dermatologist regarding my hidradenitis suppurativa, stating that neither condition has improved and does not look like it will improve in the future. Any thoughts of going this route?

Also, even without fibromyalgia I would still be at 100%. I have had hidradenitis suppurativa for nearly 15 years and it has become progressively worse (started at stage 1, now I am the highest, stage 3). Both conditions well documented in my record.
Indeed, that's one avenue of approach to potentially rectify your concern. But, please remember that if you do request a DoVA increased rating for P&T, the DoVA Rating Agency shall once again review all medical conditions which could potentially result in some DoVA ratings being considered to be lowered. Based upon your feedback, it would seem that you have a fairly good opportunity to receive an increased P&T rating, but there is a risk factor as previously mentioned.

In response to your specific inquiry, the DoVA re-evaluations can occur anytime between two to five years in duration. You can always call the 1-800# to speak to a DoVA representative then ask he/she as to when you are projected for a re-evaluation on your hidradenitis suppurativa 60% and fibromyalgia 40% medical conditions. Hope this helps and take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

So I just received my DD-214 after 20 years and 1 day I went through a MEB and my code is Disability/Permanent PDRL. My question is the VA gave me 100 Disability, but I am not for sure if I am P&T because my official last day isn't until 31 Oct I am on terminal leave. Do I wait to find out or is there a way I can find out now.

So I just received my DD-214 after 20 years and 1 day I went through a MEB and my code is Disability/Permanent PDRL. My question is the VA gave me 100 Disability, but I am not for sure if I am P&T because my official last day isn't until 31 Oct I am on terminal leave. Do I wait to find out or is there a way I can find out now.
Indeed, unfortunately, you will have to wait until becoming a military disabled veteran and receive your DoVA official ratings from the DoVA D-RAS.

Hmm, did your DoVA proposed ratings documentation mention anything about having a proposed DoVA P&T rating also? Hope this helps and take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Indeed, unfortunately, you will have to wait until becoming a military disabled veteran and receive your DoVA official ratings from the DoVA D-RAS.

Hmm, did your DoVA proposed ratings documentation mention anything about having a proposed DoVA P&T rating also? Hope this helps and take care!

Best Wishes!
No it didn't, when I called my VA rep he just told me to bring my DD-214 in and that more that likely I will be P&T. But of course I won't know until it is all said and done.

No it didn't, when I called my VA rep he just told me to bring my DD-214 in and that more that likely I will be P&T. But of course I won't know until it is all said and done.
Indeed, albeit I hope that you receive a DoVA 100% P&T official rating upon becoming a military disabled veteran. Take care!

Best Wishes!