How long for Severence

Matthew J. Nielsen

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
OK, so, long process as many of my fellow bros and sis out there know. TDRL 2008, first and last TDRL eval done in September. Awarded a severence, though I did my best to get back in. That being said, three questions:

1) I have Guard time of 5 1/2 years with 1153 points, so comes out to 3. yada yada yada. After deployment served 2 active army. 5 years sev, right? TDRL had me sign blind...no one knew. I had a ball park estimate, which is to say I know the formulay. 2x base pay times years. Total TIS= 7 years 9 months, but I know that they don't consider the national guard service. No one can give it to me straight. Not HRC, DFAS, MYPAY, TDRL, they bounce me around between all of them.

2) DFAS said there is a due date of Janurary 10 and we all know how government spending works. How long y'all util I get it? I would like to get my life on the move.

3) How long does it take for VA to stop giving my compensation? at $1500/mo, if it just stops before I get severence it will but a real damper on life, know what I mean?

Merry Christmas!

1. All active duty time will be considered for your severance pay.
2. With DFAS you just never know when they will get it all done, suggest you keep after them.
3. Was your inital condition combat related? if so, your VA comp should not change because the VA will not have to pay the severance back.

no, it was not combat related, but I just found a PDF from DOD that states mine is not taxable as i already receive and have a letter awarding me disability compensation for the saame disability that caused me to receive a severence Check it out. I'm uploading the file now.

Attachments

• 07a_35.pdf
    382.6 KB · Views: 3
Yeah, it's amazing how they tell you this crap. I know so many joes that I am passing this onto right now. damn. You know, I was trying to find out their computation method for adding reserve and active time. I figured it out, knew it but just wanted confirmation. The lady got mad on the other line and said she was going to "escalate the situation" [must read homeland security reports or something, lol]. The lady comes back on the phone and actually tellls me that she just had an extensive conversation with her superiors about our phone call and they told her that they are going to take my base pay from 4 years ago, multiply by 2, then divide it bymy number of years. I worked that out real quick in my head and asked her if she thought that 524 was a goood severence pay amount for 8 years of service. She just laughed...

We get the best training in the world, is it too much to ask that the ones whom are employed to help we vets be trained well too?

Totally agree. All of my 17yrs in the AF I always questioned Finance/DFAS about how they come up with certain things.

Any idea of the address/fax number for USAF to send the paperwork to receive tax back?

I'm so confused and a little irritated. Now I am reading that it is total time. I think it is jacked that they only give for active duty time, even though I spent just shy of a decade in the military, they will give me a severence for half. Another thing that is irritating is that we pay our own disability. Ugg

I talked to Army resources command and they sent me to DFAS and visa versa...nice. DFAS said they have a due date of Jan 10th, is that they pay date, processed by date, or date they have to start processing it? erg

Anyone know why it is so hard to get a straight answer from DFAS? I have been speaking with them every day for the last month and they will not give me an idea of the calculation? Why is it a secret? Let's face it, we jin the military to get some direction, to learn how to live in one way or another. The army taught me how to plan and to improvise. I like to know what may lie ahead of me, you know have different possible outcomes and plan accordingly. We all of course are very familiar with Murphy's Law. I have nearly 8 years of service, most guard time. I know that they are only going to give me active points and all. So I did the calculations and between guard and active duty, though actual time is 8 years, it comes out to 5 years x base pay x 2. Well, the 'temp' I talked to yesterday gave me a calculation that would be only 3 years, the minimum. On top of that. I have asked repeatedly if they had all the paperwork needed to show that I am receiving VA comp for the same disability that I am getting the severence for which makes it untaxable. The guy tells me that 10k in change is about to be deposited in my account. Why won't they allow us to plan our future?

Anyone know what article of the UCMJ covers MEB/PEB? I need it for an outside case I'm fighting, custody. Ex-wife brought up the "he is a vet so he is insane" argument.