I did a horrible mistake....0 percent is the punishment.

W.W.

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I got the narsum about two weeks ago and noticed that I got 20% in the army and 90% with VA. Of course I will appeal but here is the problem. I suffer from migraine and I didn’t used to go to sick call, I used to just call my platoon sgt and stood home. I didnt knew this was going to explode on my face. Months later I was told that I need to have the episodes documented by ARMY or civilian doctors. After that everytime I had an episode I went to sickcall. So my rating came down and my PEBLO told me that I have the amount of migraine episodes for 30% but I don’t have the months I need in order to be given the percentage, therefore I got 0%. Is there anything I can do to fix this wrong and be able to get rated for this condition?

8100 Migraine:

With very frequent completely prostrating and prolonged attacks
productive of severe economic inadaptability.................................................... 50
With characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an average once
a month over last several months....................................................................... 30
With characteristic prostrating attacks averaging one in 2 months over
last several months............................................................................................. 10
With less frequent attacks........................................................................................ 0

So why are you going to appeal? "of course I will appeal" do you have a reason for appealing. and to be honest, is 90% not enough already? I dunno your specific case, But man I have met way to many soldiers, asking way too much. I hear so much " I want that 30% from the army to get medical retirement".. maybe you don't qualify for it. I know of soldiers that appeal again and again trying more and more to get 100%. you are already at 90%! I Don't think appealing and getting any more % for your migraines is going to get you more $$ if that is what you are after. and Since it is not Medically documented, your going to have a hard time.

I was told that if I could get a statement from my PCM stating that I’ve been having for the last couple months 3 to 4 migraines episode monthlhy, it could be used for rating purposes as support evidence. Is this accurate?

Hi Mathew, thanks for the reply.

The migraine is not part of the va rating. It is part of the army rating. The army only gave me 20% for my back and 0% for the migraine. This is why I’m trying to raise that, because I was offered severance pay not military retirement. That’s the reason I want that to see what can be done. I do have the migraines documented but not for enough time according to the MEB. The VA rating was more than fair.

It might possibly work. What exactly are you trying for? are you trying to just get your % up? you know that with 0% you can still get medical coverage for it. Even if you got it up to 50%, 30%, you will never get above the maximum 100% disability. Even still, Depending on your conditions and ratings, you could get that 30% for migraine and it still be only 90% in the end. the VA system rates disabilities NOT by adding it all together. lets say.. in the end of it all right now you are 90% Unable , and 10% Able. if you get that 30% for instance, they take 30% of your 10% able, which is like 3.33%. and they round down I believe. So in the end they would just round it back down to 90%. At least i think that is how it works. In my opinion, since you are already at 90%, it would take getting the migraine disability needed to be 50% inorder for you to get the 100%. and I highly doubt you will get the 50% with zero medical records.

oh. disregard this message above, i didn't see that post until after I typed that out.
you can fight for it, getting your PCM letter might help, But I have really heard from alot of soldiers that getting the med retirement (30% or more ) is super hard. Hell I know a SGT with like 15 years in with Multiple Sclerorsis and a bunch of other problems, and the army only gave him 20% and 60% VA.. i was honestly surprised, the guy is really messed up

Oh no, that’s not the case. I am satisfied by the 90% of the VA. I’m worried about the 20% of the army. I just want to get that 30%. I didn’t had somebody to tell me about everything having to me documented so it was my mistake indeed that I called my PL and stood home rather than going to sick call. Now I know and maybe it’s too late to fix this situation. Hopefully not.

I have always wondered, What exactly does that 30% get you? and why do people want it so much. I knw the VA will give you medical coverage right? for at least your medical issues.

Let me try to explain it to you within the best of my knowledge. I could be wrong, but this is the rule. If you get 20% or less with the ARMY you get severance pay and that’s it. If you get 30% or more you get health care. Actually you and your family get health care. In my case, me, my wife and my three kids. In addition to that by getting 30% or more you get a military ID because by having the magic number (30%) you actually get retired from the service. So you can actually still go to the PX and use the base facility. The most important detail about the 30% is getting that tricare. If I only get the 20% eith the ARMY I still get medical coverage but not my family.

if you get 20% do you get medical coverage for Anything, or just Service connected issues? I think i might of been lied to, i'm not sure. I know the 30% is for medical retirement with health care for you + family, but I heard you can also keep tricare even if you dont get 30%? and is that for any future issues too like normal health care?

I wouldn’t dare to answer that because I don’t know that answer. I do know that I need that 30%, otherwise………. It’s going to get bad. My wife is pregnant.

if you get 20% do you get medical coverage for Anything, or just Service connected issues? I think i might of been lied to, i'm not sure. I know the 30% is for medical retirement with health care for you + family, but I heard you can also keep tricare even if you dont get 30%? and is that for any future issues too like normal health care?
If rated below 30%, you receive Tricare for 180 days after separating. Then you are reliant on the VA or other private (purchased) health insurance.

I read that if you get at least 50% VA you are covered head to toe? for yourself. not family. correct? and is that for life or just that 5 year temporary disable list?

I read that if you get at least 50% VA you are covered head to toe? for yourself. not family. correct? and is that for life or just that 5 year temporary disable list?
Life.....unless they lower your rating. The 5 year timeline is for temporary retirees(TDRL); those with 30% or higher from the PEB who's conditions aren't stable.

30% is the magic number.
You should have your PCM write a letter dictating your migraine severity.....how often and for how long. Also, have your co-workers write letters in support indicating how many months/years you were calling in sick with migraines.

30% is the magic number.
Also, have your wife draft a letter. Have all these letters, but do not turn them into the PEBLO. Talk with legal counsel and have them help you draft these documents and use them wisely.