Limbo...

I am a bit confused and hope that someone can shed a little light because I feel like I am in limbo right now. I am a Marine with 17.5 years of active service and was diagnosed with Dialated Cardiomiopahy in March 08. Shortly there after I had an Cardioverter Defibrilator implanted. In June a "Fit to continue active duty" finding was returned from the PEB. I accepted the finding and continue to perform my normal duties with no problem. The issue that concerns me now is what happens next... A rep from the local DAV I was speaking to about this thinks that I should have had something about Permanant Limited Duty in the Fit finding but there isn't any. He also mentioned that there is a possibility of admin discharge in my future for unsuitability. Any advice on how to avoid this?

PLD comes after an unfit finding, so that is not a possibility. If you are not having problems performing and have no issues with deploying, then you may be fine. Even if you are having problems, so long as your command and the medical professionals do not see an issue, you should be able to continue your service. If you are borderline or unsure, I would try to stay away from as many things that might "trigger" further inquiry. This may be deployments, or annual physicals, or going to military schools or PCSing.

The best advice for staying out of the "limelight" is to meet all the standards that you can. If you can do that, you will likely make it to your 20 year mark.

Thanks for the reply Jason. I guess staying out the limelight is going to be my life then. Besides not being able to pass the run portion of the PFT everything else has been fairly easy to accomplish. Just at a slower pace than in the past. Still I hate the fact I feel like I am walking on eggshells trying to finish out my 20. Oh well I guess I 'll deal with everything as it happens. Semper Fi!