MH C&P exam…referred condition may have been misdiagnosed.

Rquirol_RB

Registered Member
Hey everyone

I’m new to the forum and I was hoping someone can shine some light on my situation or if anyone has gone through something similar…

I’m AD navy and been in 8 years. Today I had one of my C&P appointments, this one was for mental with a forensic psychologist. My referred condition is Prolonged Grief Disorder. We discussed my current medication and my mental health history. I’ve been a witness to active shooter events, my father passed away in 2021 (the event surrounding his death were extremely painful for me). I couldn’t make sure my father was properly cared for and I was always away….deployment and being stationed out of state and then covid prevented me from being able to see him when he was still alive. I suffer from insomnia to the point that I’m afraid to fall asleep because of the disturbing dreams I have and also because I worked swing shifts so my sleep schedule is just completely messed up. I couldn’t fall asleep and if I could fall asleep, I wasn’t able to stay asleep. I usually only getting 2-3 hours of sleep, 4 if I am lucky. I was then prescribed trazodone…despite taking accordingly it still takes a while to kick on and in the morning I feel like road kill. I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. I was hospitalized for SI and self harm (I still struggle with it). I have been getting treated for my grief since 2021 and even now it feels like I just lost my dad yesterday. I’m always on edge when I leave my house. After discussing all of what was in my medical file and clarifying some things for her, she said I meet the criteria of PTSD and MDD. The grief added to it.

I guess I don’t know what to expect from my MEB and idk if my referring psychiatrist is going to agree with her. That just adds to my anxiety because I don’t what will happen…I am sure I will be found unfit. I am hoping for medical retirement just so I would be able to keep tricare for my son and I. If anyone can offer some words of wisdom, I greatly appreciate it. Thank you for reading.

First off I am sorry to hear about your loss and all the pain/suffering you’re going through. I can understand and sympathize with and for you. I myself have gone through it on the mental health side and have a diagnosis for PTSD. I also just wrapped up my MEDBOARD and my case was just sent up to the PEB.

Your story is a little confusing to me and going off the title as well as a possible misdiagnosis?? Feel free to send me a PM and I can help walk you through it and how my CP EXAM went and what not.

I could type out for days on here, but I don’t want to confuse you and give false information. I am going off my experience and my case.

Everyone’s case is completely different and timelines do not and will not match.

If you have already had your C&P exam you should be able to look on TOL through Tricare and see what the examiner marked and said on your exam.

Hit me up if you need help. You’re not alone

Sorry, she says I should have been diagnosed with MDD at the very least, no prolonged grief disorder.

Sorry for the confusion

First off I am sorry to hear about your loss and all the pain/suffering you’re going through. I can understand and sympathize with and for you. I myself have gone through it on the mental health side and have a diagnosis for PTSD. I also just wrapped up my MEDBOARD and my case was just sent up to the PEB.

Your story is a little confusing to me and going off the title as well as a possible misdiagnosis?? Feel free to send me a PM and I can help walk you through it and how my CP EXAM went and what not.

I could type out for days on here, but I don’t want to confuse you and give false information. I am going off my experience and my case.

Everyone’s case is completely different and timelines do not and will not match.

If you have already had your C&P exam you should be able to look on TOL through Tricare and see what the examiner marked and said on your exam.

Hit me up if you need help. You’re not alone

Sorry, she says I should have at the very least been diagnosed with MDD.

When you say she? is this your provider who referred you to the MEB?

I am assuming this person has looked over your C&P is what you are referring to?

DoD must accept the percentage assigned by the VA. The only question is will DoD find the condition unfit. My guess is your VA percentage for MH will be high enough that DoD will find it unfit.

Eventually, the form filled out by the VA examiner will show up in your military medical records. There will be section on the form for “Occupational and Social Functioning.” Only one block will be checked in that section. That block corresponds with your MH rating.

Best wishes