Misdiagnosis

anthp250

Registered Member
I was in the AF and diagnosed with MS. It turns out it was a misdiagnosis that was not caught until after I was medically retired (it turns out military doctors don't get the best training.) I am just wondering if anyone knows if the military can pull me back in, stop paying me, or revoke some of my benefits now that it turns out I had a totally curable malady. If this is possible, how would they find out?

Ed Mercanti

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
There are no provisions to revoke your retirement unless they can show that you obtained that retirement by fraud. Obviously that is not the case. You have nothing to worry about.

Jayson69

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I would get a 2nd and 3rd opinion to make sure of the Diagnosis.

grizz13

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I agree with Ed, at no time it was your fault.

flyin_dutchman

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was in the AF and diagnosed with MS. It turns out it was a misdiagnosis that was not caught until after I was medically retired (it turns out military doctors don't get the best training.) I am just wondering if anyone knows if the military can pull me back in, stop paying me, or revoke some of my benefits now that it turns out I had a totally curable malady. If this is possible, how would they find out?
Old post, but I'm VERY curious of what did you have that was 'curable'? I do't want to go thru the same thing, as the docs are not saying 100% what I have (just said MS by my flight doc)

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Neuromuscular disease is a tough differential diagnosis. I'd certainly ask for a second opinion by someone other than my flight doc.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">