ODAR

Babs77

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I had my ODAR today and the ALJ really hammered me about the fact that I still receive active duty pay. She also really stressed that I would be making "a lot of money" due to my Army pension and my 100 P&T rating. Has anyone else had a similar situation? I explained that my retirement date is April 24th and that since I'm an active duty Soldier I would receive my active pay. She said that my income was outside of the SGA and that she would have to take that into consideration.
The ALJ argued that I was not a wounded warrior since I was not currently in the WTU. She said that she had to take into consideration that I'm not in a medical hold status due the COAD.

I left without a decision, but to no surprise, my lawyer feels confident. Any recommendations or suggestions in the event my income or not a current WTU Soldier status becomes an issue?

Thanks,

~James

If you feel an ALJ is biased against you, you can always file a bias complaint with the Agency. A written decision usually takes a long time, because of what the Agency calls right now a "decision crisis," but that being said, since you are a Wounded Warrior, your file goes to the top of the heap. I would file a Congressional and make sure it gets fast-tracked, even more so.

I believe the ALJ erred in judgement. You can apply while of AD if you are no longer performing your primary job. The military income is irrelevant.

I had my ODAR today and the ALJ really hammered me about the fact that I still receive active duty pay. She also really stressed that I would be making "a lot of money" due to my Army pension and my 100 P&T rating. Has anyone else had a similar situation? I explained that my retirement date is April 24th and that since I'm an active duty Soldier I would receive my active pay. She said that my income was outside of the SGA and that she would have to take that into consideration.
The ALJ argued that I was not a wounded warrior since I was not currently in the WTU. She said that she had to take into consideration that I'm not in a medical hold status due the COAD.

I left without a decision, but to no surprise, my lawyer feels confident. Any recommendations or suggestions in the event my income or not a current WTU Soldier status becomes an issue?

Thanks,

~James

COAD fucked you. If you are in COAD, you are earning SGA. If you were on med hold or WTU, your active duty wages would not count towards SGA.

A workaround for this is to get a memorandum for the record stating that your current COAD orders are compassionate, and only for the purpose of preserving your longevity retirement. Still going to be a tough sell.

Here is the guidance: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0410505023

Really, I've been a COAD since 2006 after the second time I was blown up. I provided a commander's statement that explains I have not had SGA for the past three years, but was allowed to stay so I may complete my 20 years of service. The letter outlined that I was only to complete medical appointments and no longer had the duties or responsibilities of my MOS or grade.

I did not see anything in the guidance you provided that specifically outlines my disqualification for SSDI.

Thanks for the info!

~James