Officially Retired... Now What??

Kbert84

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello! So today was my official retirement date and I was able to log in and download my copy of the DD214. I uploaded this to the VA through ebenefits; is there anything else I need to do to make sure I receive the pay on time?? In theory I believe I should start receiving pay in August. I just don't know what else I need to do to make sure it happens.
I also need to let them know I opted into the Survivors Benefits Plan... anyone else done this and know who I talk to??

From my experience you'll receive your first full retirement check on August first for all of July. You'll get paid July 1st for the last two days of this month. Now this is all under the assumption you have hit your EAS and aren't on terminal. If you are on terminal when you eas the following day till the end of the month you'll be prorated and paid on the first and the following month will be a full retirement check. As for the VA they will reopen and complete your claim again. I retired April 29th got my first retirement check May 1st for the 30th of April. The VA completed my claim about the first week of June and i got back paid what i would have been for the month of May minus what i was already paid for my full month of retirement. I just received my normal ammount from the VA today for the month of June. Wasn't expecting to be paid until the first but it looks like it posted early. Hope this helps!

Also, if your entire retirement pay gets waived by the VA you need to call DFAS and fill out the paperwork to either have your premium deducted out of your VA pay or pay it youself. It will come out of your retirement pay automatically if you had it set that way. But if your entire retirement pay is waived by the VA it doesn't automatically get deducted and you need to contact them to make it happen. @Kbert84

Thank you! I have been on terminal since 8 May and yesterday was my separation date and today my official date of retirement per my orders. Looks like I'll give DFAS a call to get the paperwork. Thanks again!

You shouldn't have to do any paperwork for SBP until your VA claim is processed and you actually start getting paid.

Also, if your entire retirement pay gets waived by the VA you need to call DFAS and fill out the paperwork to either have your premium deducted out of your VA pay or pay it youself. It will come out of your retirement pay automatically if you had it set that way. But if your entire retirement pay is waived by the VA it doesn't automatically get deducted and you need to contact them to make it happen. @Kbert84
If one receives CRSC, SBP can be paid from it (effective April 2018).

Ron

Hi Ron.
Ive been reading post after post trying to figure out my CRSC. It's like brain surgery for me any help would be appreciated.
DOD 30% ($1155)
VA 100% $(3,620 including smc)
SMC-S
CRSC 100%
2 boys
I attached my retirement paperwork.
8.6 years I believe
SSG
CRSC says SMC-48 is combat-related.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 15618453597792750621237483711793.jpg
    15618453597792750621237483711793.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • 20190406_151550.jpg
    20190406_151550.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
Hi Ron.
Ive been reading post after post trying to figure out my CRSC. It's like brain surgery for me any help would be appreciated.
DOD 30% ($1155)
VA 100% $(3,620 including smc)
SMC-S
CRSC 100%
2 boys
I attached my retirement paperwork.
8.6 years I believe
SSG
CRSC says SMC-48 is combat-related.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Hello,

Estimate.

1. 8 yrs 6 mo = 8.5 years AD
2. 8.5 x 0.025 = 21.25% longevity multiplier
3. 1155/0.30 = 3850 high three
4. Entire retired pay waived
5. 3850 x 0.2125 = 818.13 longevity portion of retirement pay
6. 100% CRSC would be 1155
7. CRSC cannot exceed longevity portion of retirement pay 818.13
8. CRSC = 818.13

If
the active duty figure you provided is inaccurate, the estimate is inaccurate.

Ron

Glad to help....

Ron

Its actually 6 years 11 months and 21 days of active service

Does $673 sound right?

Its actually 6 years 11 months and 21 days of active service
Then the computation is wrong; I have only what the veteran furnishes.

Your retirement orders should show the active duty time near the bottom of first or only page .

6.916 AD years = 17.29%

You can multiply your high three x 0.1729 for the longevity portion of retirement pay.

Ron

Re: “You can multiply your high three x 0.1729 for the longevity portion of retirement pay.”

= 665.67

Ron

Also make sure that you sign up for Tricare within the time limits after retirement so that you or your family (if that applies) have no gaps in coverage and you also need to sign up for Dental if you want to continue it. Enjoy your retirement!

Thanks guys. Already signed up for tricare. Great info

Hey all this is kind of off topic.

I medically retired may 27th of this year, and have been receiving retirement pay aproxitmalty 2400. My VA disability was finalized this week on the 19th aug (90%) The new les that came out today does not show a VA wavier amount.

Will this show up once I begin getting paid by the VA. I called the VA to ask them about the VA wavier and the rep told me he cant say anything until I recieve the package in the mail. Just want to make sure that I have a VA wavier so I can submit CRSC without getting kicked back.

Will this show up once I begin getting paid by the VA. I called the VA to ask them about the VA wavier and the rep told me he cant say anything until I recieve the package in the mail. Just want to make sure that I have a VA wavier so I can submit CRSC without getting kicked back.
Yes, if you are approved for VA compensation.

You can look at your copy of your claim for VA compensation for the waiver info (whether you agreed to accept VA comp).

Ron

Yes, if you are approved for VA compensation.

You can look at your copy of your claim for VA compensation for the waiver info (whether you agreed to accept VA comp).

Ron

Thank you for clearing that up for me Ron.