PDBR Retirement Decision

That would be awesome. I got my tricare select enrollment done today and sent out my Dd2656 today.

I sent my dd2656 last week. The RSO said to expect about 2-3 months till they activate or build a new dFAS account.

Dang, I didn’t think I had to send one in. It’s crazy that the rep at dfas would tell me 30 days. Not 60 or 90, but 30 days. Didn’t mention that I needed to do the dd form. Ugh, puts me behind the power curve

I went to the nearest national guard armory and asked around. Lucked out that the armory was a service center with VA and Retirement representatives. Otherwise I would have to fly to another island to go to schoffield barracks.

I have a few minor updates for anyone that is curious.

The address that I was given in my packet for DFAS appears to be incorrect. I sent my DD2656 packet with tracking, and it is currently bouncing around all over. Further investigation shows that the London, KY DFAS office no longer exists, and anything sent to that address is being forwarded to Indiana. Hopefully mine makes it there soon.

Also, I got my ID card today. I used the RAPIDS office in the Pentagon. I made an appointment for a DEERS Update, and after explaining the PDBR and showing my orders and DD214/215, they re-established my DEERS account and entered me as Retired. This change now reflects in MilConnect, and I also now have the option to enroll in TriCare through BWE.

I hope that my packet can get to DFAS soon, and that there are no further delays in processing.

I still have not found any concrete information on the tax rate used for the back pay. An earlier post suggested that it may be 25%, but that is the only information I have seen throughout all of my research. If anyone has this information, I would greatly appreciate it!

I think you mean the withholding on the back pay. Normally it is 25%, but you can complete a form and ask for additional withholding if you have other taxable income.

Great news gives me hope. Ok here goes my story hopefully someone can give me some insight. So I was separated with severance back in 2011 and a year or so later got a letter from DOD for a review for possible upgrade. I submit and denied send rebuttal denied. Needless to say I found more evidence and resubmitted. Well it’s been at ARBA nearly 2 years, back in June they corrected my DD214 with my awards and informed me of a new case number for my MEB review. I also in June received an increase in my VA disability Compensation. Here’s where it confuses me. On Friday 9/7/18 I get an email from Tricare/Humana Military with an EOB. Basically my last appointment with my VA PCM and my last C&P exams are being billed to Tricare. Then I’m on myhealthevet and pull my notes from recent appointment and notice it states my insurance is Tricare IDES then at bottom says Tricare West Prime Retired with an effective date of 1 Jan 2018. I sent inquiries and many phone calls with no answers. I contacted a phone number from my last case and the gentleman said he doesn’t work at ARBCMR any longer but checked a database and no decision has been made in my case yet. I also contacted comp and pension and I guess according to them the Army asked them for an exam and I was like when the reply was you already did it. In November it will be 2 years since I submitted my case. Is there light at the end of the tunnel? And if I’m granted PDRL will it be backdated to my MEB separation date?

So...From what I understand about enrolling in Tricare to avoid paying all the premiums back to your discharge date you should enroll in the regular "free" Tricare for the first year, which would mean no back payments required and then when open enrollment starts again for the next year "upgrade" to Tricare Prime and start paying for that year.

Someone please add or correct this information if needed, this is just what I was told from some other Veterans going through this.

So...From what I understand about enrolling in Tricare to avoid paying all the premiums back to your discharge date you should enroll in the regular "free" Tricare for the first year, which would mean no back payments required and then when open enrollment starts again for the next year "upgrade" to Tricare Prime and start paying for that year.

Someone please add or correct this information if needed, this is just what I was told from some other Veterans going through this.
yes that is the only way around paying all the back payments. like for us. Doug was discharged in 07. If we opted for the pay version we would owe the last 11 years. We opted for the free. In a year we can change it during open season.

I have some additional information regarding my case, but nothing of much substance. Honestly, it is just some disappointing updates on my timeline so far with DFAS. I thought I might update here in case anyone reading this in the future wants some anecdotal evidence of the wait they can expect.

August 11th 2018 - DFAS received my retirement packet
September 6th 2018 - Called DFAS and was told it can take up to 30 days for my account to be created
September 18th 2018 - Called DFAS again and was told that it can take up to 45 days for my account to be created. A request for information was submitted to see why my account hadn't seen any movement yet. I was told to call back in 8 days for the answer.
October 2nd 2018 - Called DFAS to get the information from the Sep. 18th call and the rep said there was no additional information, except that he could see a financial audit was initiated with the VA. I was then informed that it can take up to 60 days for my account to be created.

I do not understand why I was given 3 separate and increasing timelines each time I called. Another issue that I have been experiencing with DFAS is that the first person I speak with has very limited information they are able or willing to provide. Each time I call I am told that I need to be transferred to the "Account Creation" department. Every time this happens the hold message states that there is an hour wait. I tried calling after work one time, and once their closing time hit, my call was disconnected after I had been on hold for almost an hour. I am unable to wait this long on hold while at work. The information above is the result of approximately 10 calls to DFAS and me asking the first rep to get into my account and see what they can see. Rarely is this successful.

Tomorrow, October 10th 2018, is day 60 since DFAS received my packet.

That would be awesome. I got my tricare select enrollment done today and sent out my Dd2656 today.

So do you start paying for select from this moment forward or do you have to pay back premiums since you got out x amount of years ago. I’m curious how that works. I have a case pending at the ABCMR where I may have 6 more months to wait before that get to me if the decide to adjudicate in my favor ‍♂️.

I have a few minor updates for anyone that is curious.

The address that I was given in my packet for DFAS appears to be incorrect. I sent my DD2656 packet with tracking, and it is currently bouncing around all over. Further investigation shows that the London, KY DFAS office no longer exists, and anything sent to that address is being forwarded to Indiana. Hopefully mine makes it there soon.

Also, I got my ID card today. I used the RAPIDS office in the Pentagon. I made an appointment for a DEERS Update, and after explaining the PDBR and showing my orders and DD214/215, they re-established my DEERS account and entered me as Retired. This change now reflects in MilConnect, and I also now have the option to enroll in TriCare through BWE.

I hope that my packet can get to DFAS soon, and that there are no further delays in processing.

I still have not found any concrete information on the tax rate used for the back pay. An earlier post suggested that it may be 25%, but that is the only information I have seen throughout all of my research. If anyone has this information, I would greatly appreciate it!

What is BWE?

So do you start paying for select from this moment forward or do you have to pay back premiums since you got out x amount of years ago. I’m curious how that works. I have a case pending at the ABCMR where I may have 6 more months to wait before that get to me if the decide to adjudicate in my favor ‍♂️.

Tricare select is free. If we chose Tricare Prime we would have to back pay to our date of retirement.

Tricare select is free. If we chose Tricare Prime we would have to back pay to our date of retirement.

So if you elect Select does the coverage backdate to retirement date as well? Where I live I wouldn’t be able to get Prime due to where I live anyways.

So if you elect Select does the coverage backdate to retirement date as well? Where I live I wouldn’t be able to get Prime due to where I live anyways.

Yes, select would backdate to your actual retirement date.

Today I received a document called a "Retiree Account Statement" with the amount I will be receiving each month, and the date I will get my first payment. It looks like I will receive my first payment on November 1st.

Interestingly, they have me enrolled in SBP. I elected not to enroll in SBP, so this is a bit of a problem. I pulled up a copy of my DD2656, and confirmed that I did, in fact, elect not to participate in SBP. This will unfortunately result in another call to DFAS. As many of us have learned, working with DFAS over the phone is an absolute nightmare.

I shouldn't complain too much though, it looks like the ball is finally rolling again.

Today I received a document called a "Retiree Account Statement" with the amount I will be receiving each month, and the date I will get my first payment. It looks like I will receive my first payment on November 1st.

Interestingly, they have me enrolled in SBP. I elected not to enroll in SBP, so this is a bit of a problem. I pulled up a copy of my DD2656, and confirmed that I did, in fact, elect not to participate in SBP. This will unfortunately result in another call to DFAS. As many of us have learned, working with DFAS over the phone is an absolute nightmare.

I shouldn't complain too much though, it looks like the ball is finally rolling again.

In order to decline the SBP you need your spouses signature indicating that she is ok with the declination of the SBP. At least it’s my understanding from my readings on it.