PEB Code V1, V2, V3, V4 /

I just received my PEB determination and they found all my 6 conditions to be physically unfit for continued military service. They will now forward my file to the VA for rating determination.

Can anyone answer this Question? What are the V1, V2, V3, V4 codes that were placed at the eand of each condition.Also what is MEB Dx6 and MEB Dx2? Can someone define what each "V" (1 through 4) means and also the MEB Dx6 or DX2?

I think there was a discussion about this recently, and it was determined that the v codes denote combat related vs non combat related determinations for each condition.

I think there was a discussion about this recently, and it was determined that the v codes denote combat related vs non combat related determinations for each condition.
I am trying to find out what it means. They stated in my PEB Letter (V1-No, V3-No, V4-Yes)? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm on my wife's IPad and I don't know how to copy and paste on it yet, but search for "v codes" and you'll find the discussion threads. I think the discussions there should help you.

That is right, they are codes for combat related/tax benefits determinations. The MEB "dx" refers to the diagnoses listed on the MEB Report/ DA Form 3947. MEBdx2 would be the second condition listed on the DA 3947.

I will also try to guess what my PEB Unfit for Service notification is trying to state through their coding system like the above SM tried to do. However, I have found nothing that about the "V" (1 through 4) code in any regulation. So, If anyone finds anything please share it us.

1. MEB DX 1 through 5 = Referred conditions from the MEB to the PEB
2. V1 = 10a , V3 = 10c, V4 = 10d : Note this may or may not be what the PEB is trying to say.

https://www.hrc.army.mil/.../Combat_Related_(10ac)_and_Combat_
A document found on the internet dated 24 OCT 2011 by POC Dennis Brower, Agency Legal Avisor, USAPDA 703-325-2709, [email protected] does explain in detail the coding for 10a, 10c and 10d but does not relate it to the "V" (1 through 4) code. This may be something new with the IDES system that I am currently being medically discharged / retired / separated/ on.

4. I do have the number to the PEB and POC on the Letter sent to my PEBLO so I will call them. I will provide the information to keep us all up to date should this be something new within the IDES system.

That is right, they are codes for combat related/tax benefits determinations. The MEB "dx" refers to the diagnoses listed on the MEB Report/ DA Form 3947. MEBdx2 would be the second condition listed on the DA 3947.
Jason, what are the "V" Codes? V1, V3, and V4?

I will also try to guess what my PEB Unfit for Service notification is trying to state through their coding system like the above SM tried to do. However, I have found nothing that about the "V" (1 through 4) code in any regulation. So, If anyone finds anything please share it us.

1. MEB DX 1 through 5 = Referred conditions from the MEB to the PEB
2. V1 = 10a , V3 = 10c, V4 = 10d : Note this may or may not be what the PEB is trying to say.

https://www.hrc.army.mil/.../Combat_Related_(10ac)_and_Combat_
A document found on the internet dated 24 OCT 2011 by POC Dennis Brower, Agency Legal Avisor, USAPDA 703-325-2709, [email protected] does explain in detail the coding for 10a, 10c and 10d but does not relate it to the "V" (1 through 4) code. This may be something new with the IDES system that I am currently being medically discharged / retired / separated/ on.

4. I do have the number to the PEB and POC on the Letter sent to my PEBLO so I will call them. I will provide the information to keep us all up to date should this be something new within the IDES system.
Jason, what are the "V" Codes? V1, V3, and V4?

As you surmised, above, V4 is equal to the "10d" (which refers to the block on the DA Form 199). That is for cases where there is a severance finding (less than 30% finding, combined) andthe condition was incurred in a designated combat zone. That finding would make the members severance pay not offset by VA compensation and would make it tax-free.

I am not aware of any regulation that is published that spells this out. It seems to be an internal practice (probably promulgated in either an unpublished directive or internal guideline).

As you surmised, above, V4 is equal to the "10d" (which refers to the block on the DA Form 199). That is for cases where there is a severance finding (less than 30% finding, combined) andthe condition was incurred in a designated combat zone. That finding would make the members severance pay not offset by VA compensation and would make it tax-free.

I am not aware of any regulation that is published that spells this out. It seems to be an internal practice (probably promulgated in either an unpublished directive or internal guideline).

Jason,

The PEB Letter to the VA "request for rating" had listed all my 6 MEB conditions to be unfitting conditions with the last one being PTSD. They all had the V Code listed as (V1-No, V3-No, V-4-No) with the exception of PTSD where they had the V Code listed as V1-No, V3-No, V4- Yes). The PEB listed my PTSD unfitting condition with the V Code "V4-Yes". Does this mean they are communicating with the VA to rate my PTSD condition below 30%? You mentioned severance finding? Does this also mean that I will only get severance pay for this condition "at the below 30%"?. I am a little lost. The VA is rating 6 condition not just the PTSD. All my conditions listed would most likely bring me a rating of at least 50%. Or are they simply saying to the VA by way of V code (V4-Yes) that my PTSD was incurred in a designated combat zone?

No, the PEB is not telling the VA how to rate you. The PEB has to wait for the VA to supply the ratings it will apply to your unfitting conditions. The PEB is just making the required findings about the circumstances of the incurrence of your condition(s). After they get the ratings back, the impact of the "V" codes will then be apparent. If you are at least 30% for all conditions, you will be retired, with what looks like combat related findings, making the pay non-taxable and further making you most likely eligible for CRSC.

Do you only need 1 combat-related condition to make it non-taxable? I have 5 referring condition(found unfit for all 5) and 14 overall, of the 5 the PEB found 3 combat-related.

I also follow-up with JAG and they told me the following: V1 : Combat Engagement, V3: Instrumentality of war, V4: In Combat AOR when injured or condition occurred.

They also stated that you can not get any CRSC for aggravation. You can only get CRSC if the injury or condition was "incurred" or the "onset occurred" during the above V1, V2, V4.

The V codes are a change from the 10 codes. V1 is 10a , V2 is 10b so on and so on. The code definition is in the NBAA. It deals with combat related injury yes or no. They should be seen again on the 199 in 8 b block.

This might be past due, but it could help others performing searches for this topic in the future.

I received this document from the WTB Schofield Barracks OMBUDSMAN who got it from someone in the JBLM PEB. I'll upload it now.

Attachments

• Section III unkown PEB guide.pdf
    28.6 KB · Views: 359
This might be past due, but it could help others performing searches for this topic in the future.

I received this document from the WTB Schofield Barracks OMBUDSMAN who got it from someone in the JBLM PEB. I'll upload it now.

Thanks for the post.

Any Feed back woud be helpful.

I have 6 service related Referred Conditions (back w/ bilateral sciatica, R-hip Replacement, R-Knee Pending Replacement on seperation, L-Knee OA, and PTSD). I am just pending my VA rartings within the IDES system. The VA has diagnosed me with PTSD with Sever Depression and said my condition was "severe" during the VA rating exam and I am currently on medications for this and was also a reason why my command recommended "do not retain". However, the PEB sent the conditions to the PEB with my PTSD having a "V4" code Permanent and Stable (see below). Does that mean I will not get 50% or any rating as a percentage for my PTSD? It appears they want to give me some type of seperation pay for my PTSD conditon. My other conditions should be over 30% or higher and will most likely be given a VA Rating for a percentage of disability.

Question? Will my PTSD even be ratable by the VA if the PEB attached the "V4 code" to my PTSD service connected condition? I have 15 years active and 21 years total time in service with a 20 year Reserve Letter. I have been AGR since 2007, but on ADOS or Active Duties orders since 2003.
3d. Permanent and stable.

Section V
10 USC 1206).
v1. The disability disposition is not based on disease or injury incurred in the line of duty in combat with an enemy of the United States and as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war (5 USC 8332, 3502, and 6303). (This
determination is made for all compensable cases but pertains to‘potential benefits for
disability retirees employed under Federa! Civil Service.)

v2. Evidence of record reflects the Soldier was not a member or obligated to become a member of an armed force or Reserve thereof, or the NOAA or the USPHS on 24 September 1975.

v3. The disability did not result from a combat—related injury under the provisions of 26 USC 104 or 10 USC 10216.

v4. The disability severance pay was not awarded for disability incurred in a combat zone or incurred while performing combat—related operations as designated by the Secretary of Defense (10 USC 1212).

10 U.S.C. § 1212 : US Code - Section 1212: Disability severance pay

(a) Upon separation from his armed force under section 1203 or
1206 of this title, a member is entitled to disability severance
pay computed by multiplying (1) his years of service, but not more
than 12, computed under section 1208 of this title, by (2) the
highest of the following amounts:
(A) Twice the amount of monthly basic pay to which he would be
entitled if serving (i) on active duty on the date when he is
separated and (ii) in the grade and rank in which he was serving
on the date when his name was placed on the temporary disability
retired list, or if his name was not carried on that list, on the
date when he is separated.
(B) Twice the amount of monthly basic pay to which he would be
entitled if serving (i) on active duty on the date when his name
was placed on the temporary disability retired list or, if his
name was not carried on that list, on the date when he is
separated, and (ii) in any temporary grade or rank higher than
that described in clause (A), in which he served satisfactorily
as determined by the Secretary of the military department or the
Secretary of Homeland Security, as the case may be, having
jurisdiction over the armed force from which he is separated.
(C) Twice the amount of monthly basic pay to which he would be
separated, and (ii) in the permanent regular or reserve grade to
which he would have been promoted had it not been for the
physical disability for which he is separated and which was found
to exist as a result of a physical examination.
(D) Twice the amount of monthly basic pay to which he would be
separated, and (ii) in the temporary grade or rank to which he
would have been promoted had it not been for the physical
disability for which he is separated and which was found to exist
as a result of a physical examination, if his eligibility for
promotion was required to be based on cumulative years of service
or years in grade.
(b) For the purposes of subsection (a), a part of a year of
active service that is six months or more is counted as a whole
year, and a part of a year that is less than six months is
disregarded.
(c) The amount of disability severance pay received under this
section shall be deducted from any compensation for the same
disability to which the former member of the armed forces or his
dependents become entitled under any law administered by the
Department of Veterans Affairs. However, no deduction may be made
from any death compensation to which his dependents become entitled
after his death.

Yes, it will still be rateable by the VA. Was you PTSD not the result of combat? Without knowing the underlying facts, it is hard to guess what is going on here- whether your condition was legitimately not combat related or if this is an error you should challenge.

Jason, Thank for you response. The follow I hope answers your question so you can bring this all into perspective for me.

Being deployed impacted me based on what I saw and what I encountered but did not want to mention any of my activities while in theater so I just kept quite and came home. However, 9 months later being at home my world changed and I was diagnosed with PTSD with Major Depression GAF: 45. I was given an LOD saying CONUS PTSD being diagnosed by the VA. I am afraid to answer any questions about my my deployemnt. I become triggered physically and mentally at the drop of a dime which becomes real embarassing causing me to further shut down. My conditon is real and becomes very clear when doctors try to help me. I "do have" supporting testing documentation from the results of the VA Syc Evaluation testing positive for Sever PTSD and Major Depression. This is by a VA Chief Psychologist and then by a two Staff Physiatrist during different periods. All agree that during my deployment an event happened that warrented the diagnosis of Severe PTSD with Major Depression, in which, I am not cabable of talking about in detail. I still have several PTSD symptoms. I was deployed OEF TS /SCI direct ODA SF combat support mission within the AOR. The MEB Physiatrist signed my NARSUM as PTSD being a referred condition and so did the PEB. I have a total of 6 conditons including which include PTSD. Currenttly, the PEB forwarded my file to the VA for ratings with a memo that stated V4 Code for PTSD? I am taking Meds and my condition is stable while in the WTU at the moment or controlled by the meds and staying away from people. I do have a Non Medical Attendent who assisst me with my physical challenges and helps with my mental state to keep me in check.