Permissive TDY question

NDSportTrac

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
So I got my discharge orders today (Yay!). First thing I did was contact my First Shirt to discuss PTDY due to the fact that I need to get home for some interviews and getting into new place asap. All this happening around he holidays is rough. He told me that he was under the impression that PTDY was only for those who were retired. From what I'm reading, anyone involuntarily discharged for medical reasons is afforded PTDY with commander approval. Am I wrong? Also, lets say I got 20 days PTDY. Would I have to come all the way back up to North Dakota to final out on the 21st day? How does that work?

Congratulations on getting your orders!

Here is the answer from AFI 36-3212:

"4.15. Permissive Temporary Duty (PTDY).
4.15.1. Commanders may grant PTDY to members retiring for disability and members separating for disability who are eligible for benefits under the Transition Assistance Management Program (TAMP) for the purpose of aiding job and house search in connection with transition to civilian life (20 days
PTDY to members assigned to CONUS; 30 days to members assigned overseas).
4.15.2. AFI 36-3003, Military Leave Program and 36-3203, Service Retirement, contain specific guidance; however, not all PTDY procedures will apply to disability retirements and separations. For example, members can not take PTDY in increments because they won't know the disposition of their
case until approved by SAF. HQ AFPC/DPPD will resolve any questions on PTDY for members separating or retiring for disability.
4.15.3. Once approved, DoD imposes strict time limits in establishing separation or retirement dates (see Chapter 5). Generally, members must take PTDY in conjunction with the 20 and 30-day processing times and, when applicable, unused leave days they can not sell back to the government.
4.15.4. Hospitalized or incompetent members are not eligible for PTDY since they are unable to perform the mission of PTDY (job and house search)."

Hope this helps and your transition goes smoothly.

NDST,

here's what i pulled out of AFI-3612:

4.15. Permissive Temporary Duty (PTDY).​
4.15.1. Commanders may grant PTDY to members retiring for disability and members separating for
disability who are eligible for benefits under the Transition Assistance Management Program (TAMP)​
AFI36-3212 2 FEBRUARY 2006 41​
for the purpose of aiding job and house search in connection with transition to civilian life (20 days
PTDY to members assigned to CONUS; 30 days to members assigned overseas).
4.15.2. AFI 36-3003,​
Military Leave Program and 36-3203, Service Retirement, contain specific
guidance; however, not all PTDY procedures will apply to disability retirements and separations. For
example, members can not take PTDY in increments because they won't know the disposition of their
case until approved by SAF. HQ AFPC/DPPD will resolve any questions on PTDY for members separating
or retiring for disability.
4.15.3. Once approved, DoD imposes strict time limits in establishing separation or retirement dates
(see
Chapter 5). Generally, members must take PTDY in conjunction with the 20 and 30-day processing
times and, when applicable, unused leave days they can not sell back to the government.
4.15.4. Hospitalized or incompetent members are not eligible for PTDY since they are unable to perform

as far as the 1'st shirt goes, i just think it's a lack of education/knowledge of the DES.

the mission of PTDY (job and house search).

Tucci,

Good catch, anyway...plus you did it with a cooler font.

Would I have to come all the way back up to North Dakota to final out on the 21st day? How does that work?

Normally you would final out the day before your PTDY started and then just not come back but procedures can vary from location to location. Biggest thing is you have to be done with any outprocessing requirements.

Good luck.

When they sent me home awaiting orders I did my check out, and than never had to come back. It was SUWEEEET. But like said before, its in your commanders hands. It would suck to have to come all the way back for your last day :p Luckily I was useless in the eyes of my Marine Corps unit and my commander sent my happy rear packing with no intentions of seeing my face again. You will use your available leave and than the orders will kick in if it is granted. Good luck!!!! Oh, and make sure you let whatever you guys call your moving department that you were med discharged so you can get your free move to anywhere in the U.S. I had a hard time with that because they wanted orders and all I had was my PTDY orders.

Thanks for all the help guys, I actually printed out the regs and highlightes the areas that were appropriate to my situation. My Shirt simply didnt know the regs regarding who may be granted PTDY. I got the signatures I needed and turned into finance. Final out is the 16th of Jan!

Congratulations! Hope the transition and move goes smoothly. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Is there any info out of any AFI that states specifically whether you can or can't final out prior to taking 20 days PTDY and stay gone without using terminal leave in conjunction with it? My flight chief is giving me a little grief as to whether I can take my PTDY and stay gone, and I keep getting conflicting info from my MPF and PEBLO offices. I can't find any specific info in the regs to answer my question.:confused: