Possible MEB?

Fins&Feathers87

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good morning,

I have a few questions hoping somebody with more knowledge can shed some light on the my specific situation. I am in the 82nd airborne division I have been infantry for the past 6 years, and just recently re-classed to 15 tango Blackhawk mechanic. The infantry has taken it’s toll on me physically. I have two documented TBI‘s from jumping and chronic migraines between one and two severe headaches a week. I have been seeing the neurologist at the TBI clinic here on Fort Bragg, The TBIs occurred back in 2016 and the headaches are not getting any better. I have exactly 12 months left on my contract, I also have three herniated disc‘s shown on a MRI and was offered a med board from the surgeon. Being a Blackhawk Mechanic and back issues as well as migraines being around turbine engines all day, don’t go together. I have been in and out of the TBI clinic since 2016, And I have been seeing the neurologist for the past seven months and the headaches are not getting any better is this something that I could possibly be Med boarded for Because it’s becoming extremely hard to do my job. If so I’m also not sure if it would benefit me more to go the MEB route or Va route?

My condition’s are

TBIs w/ Migranes X2
L5S1 Herniated Disc W/ DDD/DJD
L4 herniated Disc W/ DDD/DJD
Chronic lower back pain since 2016

I suggest you talk to the doctor at the TBI clinic and describe your struggles in your new job. Then let the MEB be his/her thought.

If that doesn't work you can apply for the VA's Benefits Delivery at Discharge. BDD documents that your injuries/illness were SC. The BDD exams could potentially be used to file with the BCMR to have separation recharterized as a medical retirement.

If that doesn't work you can apply for the VA's Benefits Delivery at Discharge. BDD documents that your injuries/illness were SC. The BDD exams could potentially be used to file with the BCMR to have separation recharterized as a medical retirement.
Thank you for the advice

Your PCM, Mental Health provider, or Commander are the only people that really have the power to initiate a "MEB". Just as charlie said, if you describe what you just said here to them, they should put you on a profile and begin the arduious process of the IRILO / IDES.

If you are saying this is all service connected, it would financially benefit you to take care of this before your enlistment is up.

Your PCM, Mental Health provider, or Commander are the only people that really have the power to initiate a "MEB". Just as charlie said, if you describe what you just said here to them, they should put you on a profile and begin the arduious process of the IRILO / IDES.

If you are saying this is all service connected, it would financially benefit you to take care of this before your enlistment is up.
I have been seeing the Doctor’s at the TBI CLINIC on Ft Bragg since May and I’ve been on a deadman profile for Multiple TBIs with Sequela “Bilateral”

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
Don't take this as the Gospel, but I have heard that the Army can be bad about slow rolling mental health people that are within 12 months of ETS. I would recommend you discuss how your conditions are affecting your ability to perform the mission. If they don't give you a satisfactory response, discuss this situation with your commander. Ultimately, your commander will have to be brought up to speed on this as he/she will have to fill out a commander's impact statement. The sooner you fill them in on the situation and your expectations the better.

I agree with the slow roll.

Don't take this as the Gospel, but I have heard that the Army can be bad about slow rolling mental health people that are within 12 months of ETS. I would recommend you discuss how your conditions are affecting your ability to perform the mission. If they don't give you a satisfactory response, discuss this situation with your commander. Ultimately, your commander will have to be brought up to speed on this as he/she will have to fill out a commander's impact statement. The sooner you fill them in on the situation and your expectations the better.

I would have to disagree on this. You can be one day from ETS and a MEB can be initiated. Your enlistment will be extended for the purpose of MEB. This is very common and happens all of the time.

I would recommend that if you see something that is a generalization, take it with a grain of salt because each and every single case is unique and has it’s own development.

A MEB is initiated because you do not meet the standard for retention. Retention means re-enlistment or extension of current contract.

If you do not meet the standards IAW AR 40-501, then you may be subject to a MEB. If the MEB finds you unfit for retention, you may be subjected to a PEB and a medical retirement and/or separation.

My recommendation is that you really look at your own personal situation and decide whether or not you would like to pursue a MEB.

With just 12 months left, you can easily make it to your ETS if that is what your desire. It may be difficult on you physically and emotionally, but it can be done.

If your want a MEB, have that discussion with your PCM and request that you are referred.

Most importantly, regarding what decision you make, is to take care of your health and try not to let your condition dictate your future.

I too was diagnosed with multiple TBI’s and had a boatload of residuals. Many of them I was unaware of because I was just “doing my job”.

Fortunately the Army and VA takes TBI seriously and will develop a treatment plan if you allow them.