Referred for PEB only 1 year in Navy

allergicobnoxious

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Background: I'm in CTI A school, graduating soon. A little over a year in the Navy. Just recently diagnosed with Celiac disease and referred for a PEB. I've had labs, seen several nutritionists and done an endoscopy as well. I do not eat in military facilities, I have BAS paperwork in the works and also have lactose intolerance.

I've heard many different things on how this process works and it seems I have a 50/50 chance of staying in but I have recently been told they could re-rate me as well. Can they do that?
Also wondering how this process works, will they put me on LIMDU? Just looking for some clarification.

Yes, they can re-rate you. I am about to enter the Med Board process as well, current guidance is tough for Navy folks as there is NO guarantee of assistance to receive a Gluten-free diet aboard any Naval vessel. If you have any updates let me know as ill be following as well.

That's frustrating to hear. What rates does that leave me? Not many I'm assuming. My first appointment is 26 March and hopefully the process will finally get started from there. I'm not wanting to re-rate, I would rather get out than stay in and do something I didn't sign up for.

Ill give you the answer I give my Sailors, you signed up to be in the Navy, your job is a secondary occurrence. There are not any rates that I'm aware of that are legit Non-Deployers. DOD policy is deploy or get out, I'm not sure where this leaves either of us to be honest... Celiacs is a relatively new occurrence and most medical PCM's don't even realize that you have to be MED-Boarded for it. If your Rating is undermanned or you hold a critical NEC they may make other concessions for you... What language(s) are you DLPing?

CTN1

I’ve had a lot of trouble even getting this board because my pcm was clueless, so that makes sense. I’m taking Russian right now, I’ll finish the course in 8 weeks. However I talked to my XO and he seems pretty convinced they’re going to separate me. They also said once I graduate they might give me orders to SD near the hospital so they’re not constantly flying me out there. So basically no one can give me a difnitive answer.

I’ve had a lot of trouble even getting this board because my pcm was clueless, so that makes sense. I’m taking Russian right now, I’ll finish the course in 8 weeks. However I talked to my XO and he seems pretty convinced they’re going to separate me. They also said once I graduate they might give me orders to SD near the hospital so they’re not constantly flying me out there. So basically no one can give me a difnitive answer.
Correct, you will need to be close to a MTF(Military Treatment Facility), if they do decide to separate you should not be removed from service until after you are in a stable condition. Keep focused on what your goals are, if its to stay in make a case that you genuinely want to stay in. As the process continues speak with your PEBLO to get a solid plan together~!
I am planning on being medically retired, but I'm not sure if it will happen.... I have several other medical conditions developed while in service and this is kinda the last nail in the coffin. My detailer has already told me I WILL be going to see my next tour, so essentially if I'm not deployable I'm out.

Matt(CTN1)

Correct, you will need to be close to a MTF(Military Treatment Facility), if they do decide to separate you should not be removed from service until after you are in a stable condition. Keep focused on what your goals are, if its to stay in make a case that you genuinely want to stay in. As the process continues speak with your PEBLO to get a solid plan together~!
I am planning on being medically retired, but I'm not sure if it will happen.... I have several other medical conditions developed while in service and this is kinda the last nail in the coffin. My detailer has already told me I WILL be going to see my next tour, so essentially if I'm not deployable I'm out.

Matt(CTN1)

Okay thank you for the advice. I'll update more after my appointment. I'm just hoping to stay at my current command while this is going on and finish my course in 8 weeks. Other than that I don't care too much what they decide. Just ready to get answers.

Board update: I am being put on the Gluten Challenge for 8 weeks in order to get retested and get a stronger diagnosis of Celiac, the one I have now is not considered an actual diagnosis, only partial. And the doctor wants a full diagnosis before starting the MED board. I got put on LIMDU because this challenge will make me extremely sick and miserable, pretty much destroying my health. After this challenge we will retest and go on with the board. Looks like I will be waiting at a minimum of 8 months to know anything Navy side and getting separated. At this point I'm over the medical process and the Navy and I just want out. There is also talk of transferring me to another base to be closer to treatment, no clue what they would have me do there.

I would press on with training as much as possible. The skills can be beneficial in civilian life, if things go that way. Hope you get a diagnosis soon.