Reserve MEB

mjmgamcj

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello everybody,
I have a different situation and can't find the answers anywhere. I was AD for 4 years. I switched over to the reserves in 2013. Shortly after I got ratings from the VA. One being a 50% for PTSD and various other ratings totaling 90%. I went on the next few years and now I am going through the MEB for the reserves. My question is what will happen since my symptoms originated from my AD time? Does the rating system or retirement differ between AD and reserves? I'm just not very clear as to what I'm supposed to be expecting from this point out. TIA.

The ratings system is the same. Are you being referred for PTSD with the reserves?

I had an evaluation today. I'm not sure if it was a C&P (they didn't really say). The Doc said I clearly have PTSD and she would send off her findings. What will happen if they do give me a rating? Will I be able to retain my CAC card and get the family medical any other retired person would? What confuses me the most is the reserve aspect. I don't really know how it works. Thank you for your time so far.

I had an evaluation today. I'm not sure if it was a C&P (they didn't really say). The Doc said I clearly have PTSD and she would send off her findings. What will happen if they do give me a rating? Will I be able to retain my CAC card and get the family medical any other retired person would? What confuses me the most is the reserve aspect. I don't really know how it works. Thank you for your time so far.

If the PEB finds you unfit for PTSD you will more than likley placed on the temporary disabled retired list (TDRL), rated 50% at a minimum. You will get a blue retired ID card and medical coverage.

If the PEB finds you unfit for PTSD you will more than likley placed on the temporary disabled retired list (TDRL), rated 50% at a minimum. You will get a blue retired ID card and medical coverage.

Does it matter if I am a DOD civilian for the TDRL and will I receive both VA and Military pay?

Does it matter if I am a DOD civilian for the TDRL and will I receive both VA and Military pay?
Just to answer your question as far as being. reservist, and how that might be same or different from an AD person going thru the IDES program. I just went thru the IDES as a Reserve person, Aviator CW4 with 39 plus years combined AD and Reserve time (but less than 20 yrs of AD time). You are handled the same, whether you are AD or Reserve. And after the MEB and PEB are complete, and the PDA makes it's decision, if you were found "unfit" and the VA had rated you at 30 or more during the MEB, you will be retired and given a Retired ID, just like if you had come off AD. No difference. You will be paid by DOD the higher of you percentage times your Base Pay or your LOS retirement, but always the higher one. Being a Reservist, if you are rated at over 50 percent, you will have to offset your VA pay from your DoD pay, until you turn 60 (or earlier if you had AD deployments between 2008 and now), at which time, you are eligible to collect Both your DoD and your "over 50" percent VA rating pay. You will be able to get Retired Tricare from the day you are formally retired by the PDA, via Retirement Ordes.

Personally, after flying over 39 years for the Army, AD and Reserve, multiple combat deployments since the early 80's, I absolutely hated the whole idea of being told, and found, "unfit for duty". I took it very personally. Over 9 yrs in combat ops, thousands of hours flying into bad places and supporting my troops, and suddenly I felt like a no good person, unable to do my job, and no longer needed. I hated having to take the uniform off. But regardless, there is a time any of us are no longer able to be healthy enough to do the job we are called to do, and have to step away.

You will be related fairly, and if you are deemed unfit (as much as we may not like the word or the idea), you will be retired, and will be eligible to receive your medical retirement, regardless as to whether you ar AD or a Reserve member. Your benefits will be the same. No need to have worries or stress as far as that. You will have Tricare medical for life. You will pick up the pieces and go on.

Be proud of what you have done for your country, and try to find inner peace in the fact that you are still alive, and just because we don't wear the uniform anymore, it does not mean we are not a valuable person. Be strong. But be happy that if you retire, it is the same retired pay whether you are AD or Reserve. One Army. One treatment.

Hopefully this was helpfu.

Just to answer your question as far as being. reservist, and how that might be same or different from an AD person going thru the IDES program. I just went thru the IDES as a Reserve person, Aviator CW4 with 39 plus years combined AD and Reserve time (but less than 20 yrs of AD time). You are handled the same, whether you are AD or Reserve. And after the MEB and PEB are complete, and the PDA makes it's decision, if you were found "unfit" and the VA had rated you at 30 or more during the MEB, you will be retired and given a Retired ID, just like if you had come off AD. No difference. You will be paid by DOD the higher of you percentage times your Base Pay or your LOS retirement, but always the higher one. Being a Reservist, if you are rated at over 50 percent, you will have to offset your VA pay from your DoD pay, until you turn 60 (or earlier if you had AD deployments between 2008 and now), at which time, you are eligible to collect Both your DoD and your "over 50" percent VA rating pay. You will be able to get Retired Tricare from the day you are formally retired by the PDA, via Retirement Ordes.

Personally, after flying over 39 years for the Army, AD and Reserve, multiple combat deployments since the early 80's, I absolutely hated the whole idea of being told, and found, "unfit for duty". I took it very personally. Over 9 yrs in combat ops, thousands of hours flying into bad places and supporting my troops, and suddenly I felt like a no good person, unable to do my job, and no longer needed. I hated having to take the uniform off. But regardless, there is a time any of us are no longer able to be healthy enough to do the job we are called to do, and have to step away.

You will be related fairly, and if you are deemed unfit (as much as we may not like the word or the idea), you will be retired, and will be eligible to receive your medical retirement, regardless as to whether you ar AD or a Reserve member. Your benefits will be the same. No need to have worries or stress as far as that. You will have Tricare medical for life. You will pick up the pieces and go on.

Be proud of what you have done for your country, and try to find inner peace in the fact that you are still alive, and just because we don't wear the uniform anymore, it does not mean we are not a valuable person. Be strong. But be happy that if you retire, it is the same retired pay whether you are AD or Reserve. One Army. One treatment.

Hopefully this was helpfu.
Thank you very much. This clears up a few things for me. You are right. This has been hard knowing that my career will be cut so short. I really enjoyed my time in and was very proud to say I was a member of such a great military. Hopefully I will be able to finish off as a DOD civilian, but PTSD, knee, back, and sleep apnea issues aside, I have also been diagnosed with meniers syndrome (chronic vertigo). Seems like my world is crashing around me.

Thank you very much. This clears up a few things for me. You are right. This has been hard knowing that my career will be cut so short. I really enjoyed my time in and was very proud to say I was a member of such a great military. Hopefully I will be able to finish off as a DOD civilian, but PTSD, knee, back, and sleep apnea issues aside, I have also been diagnosed with meniers syndrome (chronic vertigo). Seems like my world is crashing around me.
Sorry to hear about you being diagnosed with Menier's disease, it can be quite debilitating.

Stay strong, and keep your head on high. You have served your country faithfully, and did nothing to invite your health crashing on you. It just happens sometimes. I always thought the end would come landing troops in a hot LZ, not because my health would go south...

Thank you. Currently I am a civilian firefighter at a small base. I no longer drive fire trucks and will probably have to put in for a medical retirement sooner than later. I feel like I'm falling apart and I'm not even 30.

Thank you. Currently I am a civilian firefighter at a small base. I no longer drive fire trucks and will probably have to put in for a medical retirement sooner than later. I feel like I'm falling apart and I'm not even 30.
You might want to look into the Civil Service Medical Retirement option, since the same medical issue that makes you Unfit for Mil service (Meniere's), is probably what will keep you from being able to function and perform your civil service job. Check with your Base Union Rep, they may be able to steer you in the right direction. Best of luck!