Title 32 Technician Medical Retirement Scenarios (Please limit posts to "Technician Medical Retirements")

Thanks Jmc81, glad you got all your paperwork and back pay. I have one for you, on the packet, does it give you the amount of money you can make yearly so you don’t lose the DR pay? Also, does it give you an option to buy back military time ? Thank you
No it doesn't give you that amount but it does give the high 3 pay number they use. So you can just multiply the high 3 x .80= the amount that can be made. I had been wondering that also I knew a rough estimate but not the exact number they used. I have a question will the amount go up with inflation? 10 years from now that number will be much weaker from inflation, expecially with 9 percent cost of living. I didn't see an option to buy back military time but it did have the breakdown of if you bought military time total Fers time sick time. I was told before I retired I had to buy back my military time.

Last edited:
No it doesn't give you that amount but it does give the high 3 pay number they use. So you can just multiply the high 3 x .80= the amount that can be made. I had been wondering that also I knew a rough estimate but not the exact number they used. I have a question will the amount go up with inflation? 10 years from now that number will be much weaker from inflation, expecially with 9 percent cost of living. I didn't see an option to buy back military time but it did have the breakdown of if you bought military time total Fers time sick time. I was told before I retired I had to buy back my military time.
Thanks Jmc81, I used the high 3 from what abcc used, was it accurate with their numbers? Idk about the amount going up, but I can call and see what they say. One thing for sure is we do get COLA increases on our DR pay. Thank you for the info

Update, finally out of interim pay status. Now it shows annuity payment on OPM. It’s way more than interim, glad it has ended.

Update, finally out of interim pay status. Now it shows annuity payment on OPM. It’s way more than interim, glad it has ended.
I'm glade it finally worked out for you! It's like you can move on now and quit wondering when the process will be completed!

I'm glade it finally worked out for you! It's like you can move on now and quit wondering when the process will be completed!
Lol, yes sir, long process, but worth it at the end. Thank you for keeping us updated. Heading back to Houston for the winter, and see the Astros play. Orgeon has been nice. Have a good one Jmc81

Okay....need some help here,
HRO states I will get a discontinued service retirement and not disability because I have 20+ years of service (with military buyback) and over 50 years of age.....
As an Military Reserve Technician it states 50 years of age and 20 years "MILITARY TECHNICIAN" years of service or any age and 25 years of "MILITARY TECHNICIAN" service..no buy back but time earned in dual status.

which is it?

Attachments

• mrt slide.png
    mrt slide.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 7
here is info straight from GRB platform site.....I tried to explain to HRO that Military Reserve Technicians have to have "butt in seat" as a technician for 20 years in order to get early retirement and I dont qualify so I should be able to apply for disability retirement and they said I would get regular FERS discontinued service retirement....that dont sound correct to me......

Attachments

• mrt.png
    mrt.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 6
  • mrt2.png
    mrt2.png
    96.6 KB · Views: 6
here is info straight from GRB platform site.....I tried to explain to HRO that Military Reserve Technicians have to have "butt in seat" as a technician for 20 years in order to get early retirement and I dont qualify so I should be able to apply for disability retirement and they said I would get regular FERS discontinued service retirement....that dont sound correct to me......
I believe you are right. Military time doesn't count when bought back to meet the minimum time requirements. I think you are supposed to get the disability retirement. I would think proving it should be easy enough with the regulations printed off.

I believe you are right. Military time doesn't count when bought back to meet the minimum time requirements. I think you are supposed to get the disability retirement. I would think proving it should be easy enough with the regulations printed off.
is using public Law 97-253 a guarantee for disability retirement? what is the process to submit for it?

Hey, just apply for whatever HRO wants, it still has to go through army HRC, if anything is wrong, believe me Army HRC will catch it, they found things wrong on my paperwork from my HRO. They cc me on the paperwork HRO had to fix right away, and they did fix it fast. After army HRC gets your packet together, then OPM will process it. Have you contacted OPM and asked them about your this ?

I believe what Jesusej19 is saying but Army Benefits Center missed that mine said I was being separated not retired. It really does suck for you I understand how frustrating this process can be. I would really put some effort in to make sure you're not being screwed over. No one will care as much as you. Maybe talk with a different HR person.

Hey, just apply for whatever HRO wants, it still has to go through army HRC, if anything is wrong, believe me Army HRC will catch it, they found things wrong on my paperwork from my HRO. They cc me on the paperwork HRO had to fix right away, and they did fix it fast. After army HRC gets your packet together, then OPM will process it. Have you contacted OPM and asked them about your this ?
I think I just might call OPM and just ask what are the special provisions for retirement for Military Reserve Technicians...even alot of those FERS attorneys don't know how to answer MRT questions, they are just used to regular FERS employees.

I believe what Jesusej19 is saying but Army Benefits Center missed that mine said I was being separated not retired. It really does suck for you I understand how frustrating this process can be. I would really put some effort in to make sure you're not being screwed over. No one will care as much as you. Maybe talk with a different HR person.
Yha....I think I will probably file my own paperwork, then if I get in a bind, then get an attorney.....

If I choose to have my disability retirement appealed to the MSPB board if OPM denies it, can I still use Public Law 97-253 option if MSPB denies my Disability Retirement?

If I choose to have my disability retirement appealed to the MSPB board if OPM denies it, can I still use Public Law 97-253 option if MSPB denies my Disability Retirement?
My HR sent my paperwork in. I was told OPM would process it as normal disability retirement and it would be denied and be processed as public law disability which is better because OPM doesn't have you do follow ups to see if you have recovered. It went like that for me, I was denied the first round and it went to public law automatically without appeal. In fact they told me not to appeal or it would prolonged the process. You will need to coordinate with OPM on that. You should be coordinating with your agency HRO though.

My HR sent my paperwork in. I was told OPM would process it as normal disability retirement and it would be denied and be processed as public law disability which is better because OPM doesn't have you do follow ups to see if you have recovered. It went like that for me, I was denied the first round and it went to public law automatically without appeal. In fact they told me not to appeal or it would prolonged the process. You will need to coordinate with OPM on that. You should be coordinating with your agency HRO though.
100% agree with Jmc81, on point.

my attorney at Harris Law stated not to file for Public Law if OPM denied Disability Application and to take it to the MSPB for appeal...I just dont want to hose myself if MSPB comes back with same denial and I lose chance on the Public Law appeal. Someone told me that If you go Public Law with disability, that OPM could come back and offer job and if you turn down then you lose disability....is that true?

so just found out the reason why OPM signs off on your PL 97-253 Disability application. Its because anyone who uses the option of PL 97-253, gets put into the Priority Placement Program (PPP) and they can place you into a non-competitive position using the Schedule A Hiring Authority Title 5 CFR 213.3102(u) at the same grade level and commuting area, if you receive an offer through PPP and decline....you will loose your disability retirement....see attached...

Attachments

• Information for Dual Status (Military) Technicians - DocsLib.pdf
    787.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: