Two periods of service question

seahound08

Registered Member
I'm not in the MEB process yet, but it might be coming. I'm an IMA in the AF reserve (18.5 yrs total, 12 AD). I was recently diagnosed and rated 70% for PTSD by the VA. My combat stressor was when I was on active duty in 2014, but I was diagnosed as a reservist earlier this month. I'm due for my PHA and when I answered the PTSD questions on the PHAQ, the MTF called me back in a hurry. I've read some conflicting information and I can't find an answer via Google, so here's my question: I've read that the reserve may try to transfer me to the retired reserve. I've also read that they may force it to the BCMR because it should have been taken care of before I left active duty. Given that the trauma occurred on AD, but wasn't diagnosed until I was a reservist, what path should the case take? If it matters, it doesn't affect my ability to do my staff job, but it might be a WW deployability issue.

TIA. It's possible they may just let me continue to serve, but I want to get my options sorted in case it gets elevated.

Was there any documentation of PTSD while on AD? Purple Heart, awards, medical?

Proofing service connection may be problematic.

No, service connection is a VA decision. If already approved you are good.

Just an update, got signed off on my PHA. I still think I need a deployment waiver since I can't wear body armor duty to a prior service condition (not the PTSD from above). It doesn't really matter, in my reserve category I won't deploy for anything short of ww3, but technically I think it's a requirement. Doc doesn't want to do it since it would trigger all the irilo stuff, just to get the same result (return to duty don't deploy). It's there any way this can come back to bite me?

If it matters, I'm okay continuing to serve in my current capacity. I don't think I need a MEB unless the Air Force insists I maintain ww deployable status.