VA Insurance for family?

oxman

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I've been reading the forums for over a year since I first received my injury, and have messaged here and there with some folks (My PCMs and ortho docs all warned me early on that I would probably be referred for an MEB eventually). Everybody on here is great and I so appreciate this resource!! I'm an Army O3 at JBLM, and just started the whole process in late January. So far my C&P exams are complete, and I'm just waiting for my PEBLO to call me in to review them and the proposed NARSUM.

My question is this: Let's say I get DOD 20% and VA 100%, is there any kind of VA insurance available for families? Somebody mentioned in passing that they thought service members rated 100% by the VA could get something called Champs or Champus for dependents. I've started to google it, and it does seem like this may be a possibility.

I'm just wondering because even though I'm claiming a bunch of conditions, at the moment only one condition is considered unfitting, and it's my back. As many know and can relate to, without radiculopathy being added as unfitting, it looks like I'll be at 20% DOD from the ROM measurements my C&P examiner told me. I also have PTSD, and while I only have T3 profiles for it so far, my C&P examiner stated that my case is very severe and that his exam will show that, so I'm hoping I can get PTSD added to my narsum. My PCM stated he won't give me a P3 because IDES should be handling that now...

Thank you!

If you are rated at 100 percent VA, you are eligible for CHAMPVA, which is similar to Tricare. If you happen to get 30 percent or higher DoD, you will have Tricare, which will override the Champva (that is, you can't use both, you can only use Tricare if you would normally have both). Either system will give you a good deal for you and your family. Best of luck.

I've been reading the forums for over a year since I first received my injury, and have messaged here and there with some folks (My PCMs and ortho docs all warned me early on that I would probably be referred for an MEB eventually). Everybody on here is great and I so appreciate this resource!! I'm an Army O3 at JBLM, and just started the whole process in late January. So far my C&P exams are complete, and I'm just waiting for my PEBLO to call me in to review them and the proposed NARSUM.

My question is this: Let's say I get DOD 20% and VA 100%, is there any kind of VA insurance available for families? Somebody mentioned in passing that they thought service members rated 100% by the VA could get something called Champs or Champus for dependents. I've started to google it, and it does seem like this may be a possibility.

I'm just wondering because even though I'm claiming a bunch of conditions, at the moment only one condition is considered unfitting, and it's my back. As many know and can relate to, without radiculopathy being added as unfitting, it looks like I'll be at 20% DOD from the ROM measurements my C&P examiner told me. I also have PTSD, and while I only have T3 profiles for it so far, my C&P examiner stated that my case is very severe and that his exam will show that, so I'm hoping I can get PTSD added to my narsum. My PCM stated he won't give me a P3 because IDES should be handling that now...

Thank you!
Keep in mind that to receive CHAMPVA, you will need to be rated 100% permanent and total, not solely 100%.

Thank you!
Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA) covers veterans' families not eligible for TRICARE who are: Dependents of veterans who have a 100 percent permanent disability received while on active duty.

To be eligible for CHAMPVA, an individual cannot be eligible for TRICARE (the medical program for civilian dependents provided by DOD) and must be one of the following: The spouse or child of a veteran who VA has rated permanently and totally disabled for a service-connected disability.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Thank you all for the replies! I'll have to see how everything shakes out with ratings in the coming weeks (probably more like months lol). Have a great weekend.