VA pay time?

jbar2525

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
My last day of terminal leave is July 31, 2013. I was rated 80% Dod and 100% VA. When should I receive my first payment from the VA?? I was told about 4 months which will be December????

The AVERAGE TIME is 60 to 120 days, some come sooner... some come later. I my case it I retired 17 SEPT 2012. I was Legacy with a 90% DOD TDRL rating and filed a BDD claim when my 90 days terminal leave began in July 2012. I received my VA 100% PT rating in January 2013 and started receiving VA payment in March of 2013. ;)

Retired fully 25DEC12, 80% (75%) TDRL, 100% VA, today finally moved to "Prep for Notification" phase, had about 15 claims, so of was around 7 months out of Seattle, no clue when the ,big envelope will show up, but hopefully it isn't to long, hope that helps.

Does the 30-90 day clock start on your eas..or when u turn in your dd214to the va? I'm getting my dd214 the day I go on terminal. Plan on handing a copy to the va the same day.

Eas not turn in dd214?

No clue what EAS is, but your VA rep gets a copy from you and they take care of it

Right... is that when the clock starts?
I will have my dd214 this month.and give it to the va that same day. Then.I'm going on what's called leave until my EAS end if active service date. For 40 days.out

This is my understanding of the issue: it's an IDES directive that SM's are supposed to start receiving VA compensation on the 1st of the month following the first full calendar month after separation/retirement. However, if a SM retires/separates after the 20th (don't ask me why the 20th) of a month, then VA comp will start on the 1st following two full calendar months. For example, someone retires on April 19, VA pay is supposed to start, not May 1, but June 1. And if SM retires/separates on April 21, then VA comp most likely won't start until July 1.

Obviously, this doesn't always happen but that's how it should happen.

This is my understanding of the issue: it's an IDES directive that SM's are supposed to start receiving VA compensation on the 1st of the month following the first full calendar month after separation/retirement. However, if a SM retires/separates after the 20th (don't ask me why the 20th) of a month, then VA comp will start on the 1st following two full calendar months. For example, someone retires on April 19, VA pay is supposed to start, not May 1, but June 1. And if SM retires/separates on April 21, then VA comp most likely won't start until July 1.

Obviously, this doesn't always happen but that's how it should happen.

Wait, I was told that I had to separate between the 10th and the 27th to avoid any pay issues. It is the 20th? If it is the 20th, then I am so screwed.

Wait, I was told that I had to separate between the 10th and the 27th to avoid any pay issues. It is the 20th? If it is the 20th, then I am so screwed.
I don't know...that was my understanding of it. By no means is that gospel--that's what I was once briefed by retirement services. To be honest, I don't think they really know because it comes down to the VA, and we all know how the VA operates--often slow and inaccurate.

I will say though, 10th to the 27th seems just as arbitrary as the 20th! lol Who knows! One thing we do know though--once something is in the hands of the VA, there's nothing really we can do about it...just have to hurry up and wait! :p

that is right and that is where I am at now going on 90 days and still no update. My ebenefits is still at gathering evidence. I even called VA and they put an inquiry in about my case a month now not once but twice and still no response from the Regional VA office. I about tired of hearing same thing 12-19 months from the toll free number. My documents were all in Ebenefits too like my DD 214, Deposit info and dependency info. Then one week it was all gone not showing on ebenefits anymore. I try to call the MSC last 2 weeks and no answer or call back. This is rediculous. They should come up with a system where the Soldiers going through the MEB/PEB that the VA time clock starts once the 199 is signed. At least that will give a some time for the claim to process and not to long of a gap between paychecks.

I don't know...that was my understanding of it. By no means is that gospel--that's what I was once briefed by retirement services. To be honest, I don't think they really know because it comes down to the VA, and we all know how the VA operates--often slow and inaccurate.

I will say though, 10th to the 27th seems just as arbitrary as the 20th! lol Who knows! One thing we do know though--once something is in the hands of the VA, there's nothing really we can do about it...just have to hurry up and wait! :p

too true, thanks