Walter Reed Timeline-USMC

@usmc0612

Oof, yeah - yours has to be any day now.

I'm pretty sure we're in the same batch, though, so I'd be surprised if you don't hear back in the next few days...

That being said (just to manage expectations), it seems like 45 days QA (Post-VA) is the norm... I was shocked to get the call today, honestly - I actually had my calendar marked with 29APR2023 as the starting point for potential findings.

Definitely let me know whenever you hear back (especially if you're thinking a VARR might be on the table, as well) - fingers crossed you get the results you're looking for, though!!
@pendingindefinitely I'm pretty sure that's exactly the case. I called my PEBLO and she said that she looked this morning and didn't see anything.

I should've asked her to check again, but I didn't.

Oddly enough, I had 26 April marked on my calendar as the 44 day mark.

Here's to hoping that the news comes tomorrow!

@usmc0612

Thanks! Yeah, no formal board necessary: 80/100 (TDRL). TDRL is due to a single mental health (apparently this is legal requirement), but a number of others put me on PDRL no matter what happens at reevaluation, so I'm fine with it.

Even with the results, the VA still made glaring errors on a few unfit ratings, so I'm considering a VARR while I still have a private attorney commissioned (instead of doing VA appeals on my own once I'm out)... but I need to sleep on it, the idea of ending this awful process is definitely appealing.

Any news on your end?
@pendingindefinitely Hey, I have a relatively close timeline to you guys and I have been following along with your guy's posts. I'm currently awaiting my findings. Last I talked to my PEBLO (4/5/2024), he said, "Your case is currently going through the QA process and have ratings applied. I should have finding back next month. Prepare to be out of the Marines this year."
So I'm hoping sooner than later to end all this agony of waiting around. Anyways, I saw this post and it triggered a question in my brain. You mentioned you got TDRL due to 1 mental health condition being referred. I was told TDRL is only if PTSD is the referred condition. Without getting too into detail, My referred condition is Major Depressive Disorder and it is my single referring condition but I added more claims with the VA. With a Proposed VA Rating at 100%, that I got from the VA. So I'm basically wondering if you think I'm looking at the same fate with TDRL VS PDRL?

@usmc0612

Thanks! Yeah, no formal board necessary: 80/100 (TDRL). TDRL is due to a single mental health (apparently this is legal requirement), but a number of others put me on PDRL no matter what happens at reevaluation, so I'm fine with it.

Even with the results, the VA still made glaring errors on a few unfit ratings, so I'm considering a VARR while I still have a private attorney commissioned (instead of doing VA appeals on my own once I'm out)... but I need to sleep on it, the idea of ending this awful process is definitely appealing.

Any news on your end?
Curious on the TDRL info.

If you only had one unfitting condition at the end of this, in my case my spine at the end of the MEB phase, and you were found unfit PDRL based on that would you be determined as TDRL for any reason?

I ask because I have been explicitly denied as far as a mental health board goes. I will likely not even receive service connection for mental health, and if I do it will be a very low percentage not considered by the DoD.

Are you saying you're TDRL due to the mental health re-eval that is required of a mental health related medical retirement, or are you saying you were found unfit for one thing but were SC for mental health and that requires you to be reevaluated despite not being considered unfitting?

I feel like I'm totally misunderstanding the PDRL TDRL difference and would appreciate some clarification on that. Congratulations on your ratings by the way, I hope you get all the help you need to set yourself up for success.

@USMC0933
My lawyer mentioned nearly all mental health gets TDRL, that's just how the PEB discretionarily operates. PTSD is the only one that legally requires it. Anecdotally, I've heard of a few cases on here that got PDRL with mental health, but my lawyer also said he's seen people dragged off in straight jackets who will likely live the rest of their lives in a psych-ward still get TDRL. I'd plan for TDRL if I were you and hope to be pleasantly surprised - PTSD is the only guarantee of TDRL, but PEB discretionarily leans TDRL for nearly all mental health (or so it's been explained to me).

@thanks4urhelp
I'll do my best here - please keep in mind I'm just a random person on the internet providing second hand information, none of this is substitution for your legal team's guidance. That being said...

(1) To clarify: I was found unfit by the PEB for one mental health condition + multiple other physical conditions. The one mental health condition was unfitting and legally required TDRL, the multiple physical conditions were unfitting but considered stable (based on that, if not for the mental health condition, I'm assuming I would have been PDRL).

(2) From how my lawyer explained, PDRL and TDRL are cumulative dispositions - if you're put on TDRL (discretionarily or legally mandated), every one of your unfitting conditions (physical, mental health, etc.) will be re-evaluated on the DoD side. Doesn't matter if it was PTSD that put you there, another single condition, or the cumulative effect of all your conditions - a TDRL dispositions requires all unfitting conditions be re-evaluated in the future. Some examples:

Example One:
Step 1) MEB sends up (1) PTSD (2) knees (3) back
Step 2) PEB says all are unfitting, puts you on TDRL
Step 3) Within some timeframe, you'll get re-evaluated for (1), (2), and (3)

Example Two:
Step 1) MEB sends up (1) PTSD (2) knees (3) back
Step 2) PEB says (1) and (2) are unfitting, puts you on TDRL
Step 3) Within some timeframe, you'll get re-evaluated for (1) and (2)

Example Three:
Step 1) MEB sends up (1) knees (2) back
Step 2) PEB says (1) and (2) are unfitting, puts you on PDRL
Step 3) Move on with your life, you're done

Let's take Example One: You pop out of (Step 2) with 70% DoD and 70% VA - for the next year (or however long until your re-evaluation), those are your ratings. Now it's time for your re-evaluation (Step 3). You're re-evaluated at a MTF (VA/C&P has nothing to do with this). They check (1), (2), and (3). DoD says some, if not all, of your conditions have marginally improved, but they're not likely going to change any more - they put you on PDRL, the cumulative new rating is 50%. Your new final ratings are 50% DoD and 70% VA. Re-evaluations have nothing to do with VA ratings after this process is over - anything new on the VA side regarding VA ratings is between you and the VA. Re-evaluated DoD ratings are done by the PEB, not the VA.

Again, I'm just a random person on the internet echoing what's been explained to me - if anyone has heard any different (from an authoritative source), please chime in!

Last edited:
@pendingindefinitely I can see where you are coming from on that. I definitely would not like TDRL, but will have to just roll with it, if I get it. The big thing is... I just want to get out, and hopefully be Retired (whether TDRL OR PDRL). Hopefully soon. This process is just way too long and slow as molasses.

Findings received 40/100 with PDRL. The end is in sight!

Findings received 40/100 with PDRL. The end is in sight!
Also findings received! 50/100 with PDRL.

Now to start the check out process and wait for that new EAS!

@USMC-0341 @usmc0612

Congrats everyone!!!! That's awesome news, looks like it worked out for the whole gang!

I accepted my findings from yesterday, as well - it looks like we may be parting ways once the PEB sends out our respective retirement messages, but it was nice to have the company in the meantime!

Definitely would like to hear about everyone's retirement dates whenever they come through, if only for support and best wishes - congrats again!!

I got my findings today too! It surprised me! PEBLO says I got 50/100 PDRL!
241 Days and Finally got it!

I still need to look over docs and set an appointment with my attorney before I send an election. But the end is indeed soon.

I appreciate all your guys' feedback and posts, I agree to stay in touch, finishing through the rest of this process. I'm eager to hear back on how EAS, Check-out Process, etc goes for all of you guys! @usmc0612 @USMC-0341 @pendingindefinitely

Congrats as well!

@USMC0933
PDRL! A miracle in April! Congrats!!!

For those that have called the PEB:
What benefit was there from calling?
How does the PEB react to getting called?
What can/will they tell me?

I am hoping to confirm being found unfit, get sent some sort of proof to show my command, and ask about an estimated timeline or where I am at in the process. Is there anything else I should try to gain information on? That is, if they can even tell me anything.

I was found unfit on April 5th. My PEBLO said I cannot accept it until my findings are complete. What if someone wanted to be found fit? Why would the PEB waste their time with ratings if someone wasn’t going to accept them? All hypothetical, I will definitely accept being unfit.

@USMC-0341 @pendingindefinitely and @USMC0933

Please keep these threads updated with when you find out about your new EAS. I'm curious to see how quickly the PEB finalizes our cases and forwards the information over to MMSR-4.

@usmc0612

Will do. I have yet to accept my findings, even though it’s all I’ve wanted.

Got a meeting with my attorney tomorrow (4/17/24).

My NLT date to submit an election is April 26th and Im trying to see if it can get dragged out, so that I have an EAS in August.

Which is my goal and will give me more time in terms of seeing medical, knocking out transition requirements, checking out of unit, and the terminal leave/PTAD I want in July/August, but we’ll see what happens.

Last edited:
Received my findings!
Was told the PEB has hired a lot of people recently so they’ve begun cranking these things out.
Surprised by the TDRL but I am not going to delay this grueling process any longer.

@USMC-0341 @Octopus_man @pendingindefinitely @USMC0933

Received my new EAS! 29 June!

Time to get out of here! It's been real fellas. Wishing all of you the best on your future endeavors. Can't thank you all enough for the support, albeit virtual, throughout this process.

For those still in the pipeline, keep the faith. The process is speeding up significantly. Get your affairs in order now.

Peace out, girl scouts.

Hey all my case was sent to the PEB February 22nd hopefully I’m right behind you guys! This waiting game is killing me!

Hey all my case was sent to the PEB February 22nd hopefully I’m right behind you guys! This waiting game is killing me!
@Usmc7051

Hey, you're about 2 weeks behind us, give or take a few days.
Most of us received our findings on the 11th of April.
Considering that your case got sent to the PEB, 16 days after mine.
You should have a response from them around the 27th, if not the following week afterward. (Ballpark estimate)

Continue to be, as patient, as you can and make sure you're to knock out any of the transition requirements that you can (I.E. TRS/TAPS, etc.) or other things you need to knock out before transitioning out in the meantime.
Your time will come soon!

Last edited: