When to file

inpain2424

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Currently in the med board process, active duty. When can I legally file for ssd?

Inpain2424

As soon as you have work limitations. I applied when I started MEB.

Define limitations? I have be on a permanent profile p2 since 2010 and p3 since October 14.

inpain2424

If you all need an example SSDI application and Funtion Report, pm me your email.

Yes. I faxed over all of my records from the Army and VA. We all know they take their sweet time. Also, add a few personal statements from co-workers, spouse and family memebers. It won't hurt.

Don't be surprised when they claim to not have received all the records you sent/faxed them. Maybe make a couple of copies of the records you sent them, so you don't have to redo all that work.

Anything that alters your normal work routine.

I don't think the above is really true.

Assignment to a WTU would be an easy to justify date. Profile date may or may not be a correct date. If they give you a P3 but employ you in a training room doing the normal things a training room clerk does, that wouldn't justify SSDI and would be the wrong date. However, if they later find out you can't do that and transition you to only going to medical appointments and stay busy tasks, that could justify SSDI and would be the right date to pick. The date should correspond to when your disabilities got to a point that you couldn't do a job, not your MOS.

I don't think the above is really true.

Assignment to a WTU would be an easy to justify date. Profile date may or may not be a correct date. If they give you a P3 but employ you in a training room doing the normal things a training room clerk does, that wouldn't justify SSDI and would be the wrong date. However, if they later find out you can't do that and transition you to only going to medical appointments and stay busy tasks, that could justify SSDI and would be the right date to pick. The date should correspond to when your disabilities got to a point that you couldn't do a job, not your MOS.

I disagree. The SSA rep on my base explained the date on your profile is proof of your onset date. This is the date that proofs you have stopped working in your MOS. If you moved to a training room and your MOS is 11B, etc, of course you are now working outside of your MOS.