12 weeks and counting

Hello, I have been stalking for awhile, but this is my first post on the forums. My IPEB was sent off to AFPC before Thanksgiving as I still sit here waiting. Everyday I get a little more frustrated. I have asked my PEBLO to check on the status twice now, and she just gives me the canned answer. Anyway, I hope to find out anyday now.

I have asked to be RTD but the MEB refered to IPEB. I have been diagnosed with Parsonage-Turner Syndrom, aka Brachial Plexus Neuritis, in my right arm. Basically, I can move my arm fairly normally against gravity, but can not even curl 3 lbs. My arm just locks down. I have severe strength loss, and EMG/NC tests show nerve damage in 3 muscle groups. I also have marked atrophy. The doctors say that there is a 75% chance of recovery in 6 months to 5 years.

I am on profile to not being able to lift, do sit-ups, or push-ups. I also can not do a few minor parts of my job due to weight restrictions, but can do most of my job. I also can not fire an M-16.

I was wondering if any of you have seen this, or would venture to take a guess on whether I will get a RTD as requested or if they will put me on TDRL.

Thanks,

Clark

Clark,

Welcome! Can you describe your job? What is your rank? My instinct is that you may be found unfit, however, if your job is non-physical and your rank is high enough, I could see you being retained.

A lot will depend on what your doctors stated and your command recommended. What did they say?

My job is in communications, so most is computer based which I can do. But I can't climb the communications towers, or pull new communications cables.

I am a TSgt (E-6).

I wrote my commanders letter for him to sign, so it recommends RTD with restrictions and no overseas.

Well, you certainly have good evidence in your file supporting retention. The PEB may not agree, but you have positioned yourself for a good outcome. I would continue to gather evidence of good duty performance. Letters, awards, participation in exercises or operations, whatever shows your strong contribution will help. If you are within a year of ETS or high year tenure separation, you will qualify for Presumption of Fitness Rule, too.

I hope it goes your way at the IPEB. If not, there is always appeal to the Formal PEB.

I sent all my EPR's, Decorations, and a Medals rip down with my package. My main worry is the unable to fire a M-16 thing. I worry that that will make the case for an unfit. Am i wrong?

Well, that does not help, but it is not dispositive. If the rest of your packet supports a fit finding, then you still may be found fit.

welcome,

like i always say here: "prepare for the worst and hope for the best" like jason said, gather as much med. info. as you can and get copies. you have the CC's letter out of the way, you can also do ones for co-workers/supervisors. when preparing for the worst, i would reccomend educating yourself to the DES and AFI 48-123 Vol 2:

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI48-123v2.pdf

must of the issues that you will run into @ the unit level is lack of education to the system. you want to do as much as you can on your end, to protect yourself, incase you are found UNFIT and you will want to receive the highest possible rating you can. if you have any questions, need any help or just want to vent, feel free to get ahold of me. i try to check in here @ least once a day. good luck and keep us posted.

a little over 14 weeks into the IPEB I got my results today.

50% TRDL for code 8710 - Idiopathic C5/C6 Nerve Root Dysfunction, Right Side Arm, Parsonage Turner Syndrome.

I was hoping for a RTD, but it looks like they gave me the most they could without my arm being totally paralized.

V/r

Clark

If they weren't able to give you RTD, it's good to hear that being able to medically retire was the outcome. :)