Air Reserve Technician loss of dual status

Aeromed evac dinosaur

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I wanted to post what I went thru as Air Reserve Technician on flying status who went thru MEB process recently and was Medically retired due to PTSD. I have 17 years ART/47 years old and 28 years reserves military in points it equals about 11years AD. When this happened to me - it seemed that there is a lot of information regarding National Guard dual status Technician's but little from the AF Reserve Side. So here it goes - sorry about the length.

1989-2002 numerous deployment related to Aeromed Evac.

2002 mobilized deployed Afghanistan 240 days released return home.

2003 diagnosed with "Post deployment stress and anxiety" by private physician. referred me to a psychiatrist 6 counseling sessions-no meds. never went back.

2003 reported this to AF clinic during physical as "went to counseling-no meds" no one ever asked a question. passed physical.

2005 Deployed three times last two Hurricanes Katrina/Rita.

2005 Post deployment physical-reported concerns about close exposures to dead trouble sleeping anxiety. Cleared and returned to duty no limitations -was told flight Doc I had all the shots I needed and would be ok;).

2006 Involved in active shooter event while on orders at a conference. Started experiencing serious anxiety/depression at home and during ART job. Did not realize what was going on with me. Told AF clinic during annual physical. Not on meds under no treatment- no action taken by AF.

2007 Went to VA and enrolled disability claim hearing loss/shoulder injury. VA Primary care doc refers to MH. Diagnosed with PTSD added this to my list of claims. Counseling sessions and meds. Felt better stopped meds after 3 months counseling never went back.

2008- Deployed again- came back. PTSD flared up. went back to VA got on meds and in treatment. Reported this to AF clinic never did I say PTSD I told them treatment for anxiety/depression. Temp DNIF 6 months -then off meds back flying.

2010- VA Claim finally approved 50 % PTSD 0 hearing 0 shoulder. Still working as ART and reservist.

2014 Nov - Contacted by AF clinic. They "found out" from VA I had rating for PTSD and wanted to evaluate me. Met with Flight doc- who said "you have nothing in your record justifying PTSD that's suspicious". Do you want to fly or not? - "We could just discharge you." I walked out went to unit and filed a Line of Duty Determination for PTSD.

2015 Jan -PTSD LOD denied by the flight surgeon-but overturned as it was reviewed up the chain. Came back approved. Referred to AFRC/SG. Continue to work as an ART-made no points no pay by AF clinic.

2015 Feb -I was under crazy stress-having real issues. Started back on Meds and counseling with VA. VA suggests my PTSD related to Military experiences and that my ART job continues to exacerbate them.

2015 Mar- I sent letter to my Civilian (ART supvisor) requesting accommodation and move to a non –flying civilian position. Never received answer.

2015 May -AFRC SG decision arrives that condition does not meet standards for retention. Refer to MEB assigned to PEBLO. Received 1st ever ART Civilian appraisal NOT fully successful-due to not being able to fly. Applied for FERS disability retirement- just in case.

2015 Jun- MEB package complete/VA Exams Complete - one disqualifying condition (PTSD) sent to IPEB. Meanwhile-Disability application completed routing thru DFAS-sent to OPM Boyers PA arrived 20 June.

2015 June 13- Receive two estimates of civilian retirement pay from AFPC- based on buying back military time or not.

2015 June 20 OPM Boyers PA sent FERS disability application to Washington DC for processing.

2015 July 10- IPEB presents me proposal for medical retirement based on VA rating of PTSD at 50%. No appeals signed by me and returned.

2015 July 20- Disability Retirement order received-Medical disability retirement effective 28 August.

2015 August 31- Local personnel office told my supervisor to continue as “non-dual status for now”.

2015 Sept 04- Contacted OPM requesting status update on my disability application told will take 6 to 12 months by OPM retirements office.

2015 Sept 8-Letter received from DFAS with estimated military retirement payment. Yes it was AD type retirement pay-but categorized as “Medical”. Total was 50% of base pay based on all good reserve years.

2015 Sept 11- Receive decision letter in mail from OPM dated 29 August- Disability application approved. Go figure-guess Boyers had no real idea or gave me a canned answer time frame earlier.

2015 Sept 15 – Waiting on OPM to officially notify my agency so I can be separated. My civilian personnel office stated I would stop working the last day of the pay-period they receive notification in. But would be allowed to use all accrued sick leave after that. Last day of sick leave would be last day before retirement effective. Now I am just waiting on the official notification to drop.

Thanks for sharing this! Hope all goes well for you in retirement!

Jason

Thanks -to close my story. About an hour after posting this. My civilian Personnel office contacted me. Stated they have received official notice from OPM of disability approval. I would be separated the last day of the pay period in which they were notified. Meaning this Friday.

So I am now officially disability retired from AF (TDRL) due to PTSD and disability retired from civil service. I guess you will find me on the TDRL forum soon....

I wanted to post what I went thru as Air Reserve Technician on flying status who went thru MEB process recently and was Medically retired due to PTSD. I have 17 years ART/47 years old and 28 years reserves military in points it equals about 11years AD. When this happened to me - it seemed that there is a lot of information regarding National Guard dual status Technician's but little from the AF Reserve Side. So here it goes - sorry about the length.

2003 diagnosed with "Post deployment stress and anxiety" by private physician. referred me to a psychiatrist 6 counseling sessions-no meds. never went back.

2003 reported this to AF clinic during physical as "went to counseling-no meds" no one ever asked a question. passed physical.

2005 Post deployment physical-reported concerns about close exposures to dead trouble sleeping anxiety. Cleared and returned to duty no limitations -was told flight Doc I had all the shots I needed and would be ok;).

2006 Involved in active shooter event while on orders at a conference. Started experiencing serious anxiety/depression at home and during ART job. Did not realize what was going on with me. Told AF clinic during annual physical. Not on meds under no treatment- no action taken by AF.

2007 Went to VA and enrolled disability claim hearing loss/shoulder injury. VA Primary care doc refers to MH. Diagnosed with PTSD added this to my list of claims. Counseling sessions and meds. Felt better stopped meds after 3 months counseling never went back.

2008- Deployed again- came back. PTSD flared up. went back to VA got on meds and in treatment. Reported this to AF clinic never did I say PTSD I told them treatment for anxiety/depression. Temp DNIF 6 months -then off meds back flying.

2010- VA Claim finally approved 50 % PTSD 0 hearing 0 shoulder. Still working as ART and reservist.

2014 Nov - Contacted by AF clinic. They "found out" from VA I had rating for PTSD and wanted to evaluate me. Met with Flight doc- who said "you have nothing in your record justifying PTSD that's suspicious". Do you want to fly or not? - "We could just discharge you." I walked out went to unit and filed a Line of Duty Determination for PTSD.

2015 Jan -PTSD LOD denied by the flight surgeon-but overturned as it was reviewed up the chain. Came back approved. Referred to AFRC/SG. Continue to work as an ART-made no points no pay by AF clinic.

2015 Feb -I was under crazy stress-having real issues. Started back on Meds and counseling with VA. VA suggests my PTSD related to Military experiences and that my ART job continues to exacerbate them.

2015 Mar- I sent letter to my Civilian (ART supvisor) requesting accommodation and move to a non –flying civilian position. Never received answer.

2015 May -AFRC SG decision arrives that condition does not meet standards for retention. Refer to MEB assigned to PEBLO. Received 1st ever ART Civilian appraisal NOT fully successful-due to not being able to fly. Applied for FERS disability retirement- just in case.

2015 Jun- MEB package complete/VA Exams Complete - one disqualifying condition (PTSD) sent to IPEB. Meanwhile-Disability application completed routing thru DFAS-sent to OPM Boyers PA arrived 20 June.

2015 June 13- Receive two estimates of civilian retirement pay from AFPC- based on buying back military time or not.

2015 June 20 OPM Boyers PA sent FERS disability application to Washington DC for processing.

2015 July 10- IPEB presents me proposal for medical retirement based on VA rating of PTSD at 50%. No appeals signed by me and returned.

2015 July 20- Disability Retirement order received-Medical disability retirement effective 28 August.

2015 August 31- Local personnel office told my supervisor to continue as “non-dual status for now”.

2015 Sept 04- Contacted OPM requesting status update on my disability application told will take 6 to 12 months by OPM retirements office.

2015 Sept 8-Letter received from DFAS with estimated military retirement payment. Yes it was AD type retirement pay-but categorized as “Medical”. Total was 50% of base pay based on all good reserve years.

2015 Sept 11- Receive decision letter in mail from OPM dated 29 August- Disability application approved. Go figure-guess Boyers had no real idea or gave me a canned answer time frame earlier.

2015 Sept 15 – Waiting on OPM to officially notify my agency so I can be separated. My civilian personnel office stated I would stop working the last day of the pay-period they receive notification in. But would be allowed to use all accrued sick leave after that. Last day of sick leave would be last day before retirement effective. Now I am just waiting on the official notification to drop.
Jason

Thanks -to close my story. About an hour after posting this. My civilian Personnel office contacted me. Stated they have received official notice from OPM of disability approval. I would be separated the last day of the pay period in which they were notified. Meaning this Friday.

So I am now officially disability retired from AF (TDRL) due to PTSD and disability retired from civil service. I guess you will find me on the TDRL forum soon....
Indeed, congratulations on your dual disability retirement via military service and civil service! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Great news! Look forward to your input and any questions you have as you progress through your transition and ultimate case disposition.

Jason

it looks like the same is going to happen to me. Do they count high 3 of all income, including spouse, rental income, dividends from investments?

Or do they just count high-3 from your tech job? That you can not make 80% above that wage? Does that include all income? So if i make $40,000 a year from rental income, $15,000 from dividends, my spouse makes $45,000 and my 80% wage was $62,000 does this mean I am automatically disqualified because I make too much passive income?

Thanks

Overall, I am not sure I am tracking your question(s). See, below.

Do they count high 3 of all income, including spouse, rental income, dividends from investments?
For what purposes? "High-3" is a military specific term/"term of art" that means the average of your high 36 months of active duty basic pay (for reservists, there are some cases where they "constructively" consider the preceding 36 mothhs even if not in an active duty status....the situations are case specific, but are described in the DoD Financial Management Regulation).

Or do they just count high-3 from your tech job?
Not sure what you are asking and what calculation you are referencing and asking about. For OPM retirement, the figure is 60% first year/40% thereafter (based on civil service pay).

That you can not make 80% above that wage? Does that include all income? So if i make $40,000 a year from rental income, $15,000 from dividends, my spouse makes $45,000 and my 80% wage was $62,000 does this mean I am automatically disqualified because I make too much passive income?
Need more info to understand the question. Not sure what calculation you are asking about and, therefore, can't help much sorting this out (but, that said, your spouse's income would not seem to be implicated in any relevant military/OPM calculation; it may have significant impact on your household tax issues).

the 80% income limit for tech pension is for YOUR income alone. What is paid to your wife does not matter. Also, disability income does not count towards the 80% that you are allowed to make and still keep collecting your pension.

Nor does a military pension.

This is an update on a my saga- as it seems to come to a conclusion.

2015 Sept 16- My civilian Personnel office contacted me. Stated they have received official notice from OPM of disability approval. I would be separated the last day of the pay period in which they were notified. So I am now officially disability retired from AF (TDRL) due to PTSD and disability retired from civil service. I guess you will find me on the TDRL forum soon....

2016 Jun- TDRL Review - I optioned fo rthe CAn Do process and sent a copy of VA records and a personal letter stating how I was doing written by me. Decision was Continued TDRL status at 50%.

2016 June- OPM contacts me and asks for verification of current medical status-Sent tehm a copy of TDRL decision. They said that would work and have continued my disability retirment.

2017- focused on my health and made every PTSD appontment with VA and got involved in group counseling.

2018 May- I initiated a request with VA for compensation/disability review of PTSD. Two reasons 1) i never felt my assigned rate was fair and felt since i know had so much treatment history it would help my case 2) I knew AF TDRL review was coming up

2018 3 July- Recieved a VA compensation/disability decision letter raising my pecentage from 50% to 70% for PTSD.

2018 9 July- Recieved email via Mypers from TDRL board stating I was under review and they were reviewng my VA record and I did not need to send anything in. They even mentioned the had copy of my most recent VA decision lettter.

2018 24 July- Just recieved 356 decision. AF is recommending to Move me from TDRL to PDRL at 70% effective 15 August. I was very suprised as this is a positive increase from TDRL status of 50%.

Indeed, congratulations! Enjoy all earned civilian + military + DoVA benefits! Take care! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!