Appealing PEB DoD rating

happilymiserable11

Registered Member
Hey guys - so I just received my ratings from the PEB. I received 20% DoD and 40% VA. I was wondering if anyone has any experience appealing the DoD rating to get it at or above the 30% threshold for medical retirement purposes. Any advice is appreciated.

Hey guys - so I just received my ratings from the PEB. I received 20% DoD and 40% VA. I was wondering if anyone has any experience appealing the DoD rating to get it at or above the 30% threshold for medical retirement purposes. Any advice is appreciated.
So the DOD uses the VA ratings. So there are 2 ways to get a DOD% increase. If VA rating for that unfitting condition is wrong you would submit a VARR to have condition reevaluated. You would want to submit evidence that supports your claim. If the PEB doesn't belive a condition prevents you from doing your job then you would appeal to have that condition added. That would be a FPEB request. It's VERY IMPORTANT to know what to do at this point. I have seen Soldiers appeal to FPEB because they didn't agree with rating and of course they were denied because the FPEB cannot increase or decrease a rating for a single condition.

So the DOD uses the VA ratings. So there are 2 ways to get a DOD% increase. If VA rating for that unfitting condition is wrong you would submit a VARR to have condition reevaluated. You would want to submit evidence that supports your claim. If the PEB doesn't belive a condition prevents you from doing your job then you would appeal to have that condition added. That would be a FPEB request. It's VERY IMPORTANT to know what to do at this point. I have seen Soldiers appeal to FPEB because they didn't agree with rating and of course they were denied because the FPEB cannot increase or decrease a rating for a single condition.
so what should I do if I want to simply request a rating increase? I really just want to get to the 30%.

Additionally is there anything I can do if there are two additional conditions that the MEB&PEB say are unfitting for service but that were rated at 0%? If I were able to have atleast one rated, then it would bring me up to the 30%

so what should I do if I want to simply request a rating increase? I really just want to get to the 30%.

Additionally is there anything I can do if there are two additional conditions that the MEB&PEB say are unfitting for service but that were rated at 0%? If I were able to have atleast one rated, then it would bring me up to the 30%
So once you get your finding you have a short period of time to request a VARR or a FPEB. In this case you would want to request a VARR. Go check out the rating schedule for all unfitting conditions. If one of those 0% conditions has a 10 percent rating available see what warrants 10%. If you think you should be rated higher then work on getting evidence to submit for review so that the VA can change the rating. Do this for all unfitting conditions. I will say this is something that everyone should do BEFORE their C&P exams. Its much easier and less stressful to work towards the results you want before you get to this point. Just saying this out loud for others reading this post so they can be proactive and not have to wait until they get to the appeal point as in your case with a VARR request.

Try to get 50% unless you’re PDRL because if you are TDRL with 30% DOD they could down the line re-rate you at >30%

So once you get your finding you have a short period of time to request a VARR or a FPEB. In this case you would want to request a VARR. Go check out the rating schedule for all unfitting conditions. If one of those 0% conditions has a 10 percent rating available see what warrants 10%. If you think you should be rated higher then work on getting evidence to submit for review so that the VA can change the rating. Do this for all unfitting conditions. I will say this is something that everyone should do BEFORE their C&P exams. Its much easier and less stressful to work towards the results you want before you get to this point. Just saying this out loud for others reading this post so they can be proactive and not have to wait until they get to the appeal point as in your case with a VARR request.
So I have a question. I got 100% p&t with the VA AND 0% dod. I wanted retirement with the Dod but they just recommended separation with severance pay. Don’t know if I should risk my VA rating being reevaluated for 30% dod retirement. I didnt think the dod would rate me 0% at the end of all this for my unfit condition. That being said if I’m dual military and will still receive all base benefits and tricare still with va health care is it worth it to fight for retirement with going through a VARR Or adding and additional unfit condition ?

If your VA is going to exceed your DOD then the only reason to try to get your DOD increased is to get Tricare but you do qualify for champ VA so it's not like you're losing out. It really has more to do with if you have an unfitting condition that prevents you from doing your job that can be rated by the VA 30% or more total. The VA rates everything but the DoD rating is only based on conditions that prevent you from doing your job.

One more thing to add. If your DOD condition is 0% and your VA is 100% not including your DOD condition then you would get severance payment and still get to keep all of your VA disability which is a huge bonus that isn't afforded to most people.

If your VA is going to exceed your DOD then the only reason to try to get your DOD increased is to get Tricare but you do qualify for champ VA so it's not like you're losing out. It really has more to do with if you have an unfitting condition that prevents you from doing your job that can be rated by the VA 30% or more total. The VA rates everything but the DoD rating is only based on conditions that prevent you from doing your job.
Thanks! I think I know what route I wanna take and I just didn’t know if even after I’m separated from the military if filing for an increase for my unfit condition that was with the DOD can be increased with the VA if I have more supporting documents that meet their criteria to get a higher percentage.or should I just leave it alone. I’m only concerned because my condition os known to cause me future problems and of worse case if we’re to die from this condition I’m rated at 0% than my spouse would not get any kind of compensation?

DOD percentages only for rating to get severance or medical retirement. The corresponding rating that the VA gave for it at 0% can increase in the future if you can provide proof that it's gotten worse. You're in a very good situation.

Hi - If I wanted to submit a VARR to get my percentages reconsidered, will the VA only re-evaluate the condition that was declared “unfitting” or would they re-do the exams for everything I claimed to the VA?

Hi - If I wanted to submit a VARR to get my percentages reconsidered, will the VA only re-evaluate the condition that was declared “unfitting” or would they re-do the exams for everything I claimed to the VA?
They only look at the VA conditions that you request a VARR for so lets say you have 2 unfitting conditions and a bunch that are fitting according to the PEB. If you do a VARR for 1 unfit condition then the VA will not look at the other unfit condition or any of the fitting ones. They will only look at that one condition that you requested a VARR for.

Would another good reason to shoot for 30% apply if the person is an RC member?

30% would allow for those under 20 years to draw the RC retirement immediately rather than waiting till age 65+ right?

Would another good reason to shoot for 30% apply if the person is an RC member?

30% would allow for those under 20 years to draw the RC retirement immediately rather than waiting till age 65+ right?
Everyone shoots for 30% or higher because in all cases you get immediate chapter 61 retirement. This is for AD or Guard or Reservists that have LOD.