Army National Guard AGR 15 1/2 years AFS, unfit for Type 1 Diabetes

MRaines

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello.

I am an Army National Guard AGR Recruiter that has been found unfit for Type 1 Diabetes. I am still waiting for the disability evaluation and 199. But, my PEBLO informed me that the unfit determination was made the other day. I believe that my rating will only be 20% and I do not want to get out. I have just under 5 years left to be eligible for retirement, and I feel like a separation with severance at this point would be kind of a slap in the face.

My main question is: Has anyone on here recently appealed the Informal PEB findings of Unfit for Type 1 Diabetes, and been successful in overturning that decision?

My follow on question is: If not, does anyone know if I apply for COAD, and get approved, will I still fall into my state's AGR? Or will I fall into Title 10?

MRaines

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Also, I forgot to mention that at this point I have just shy of 15 and a half years of AFS (Active Federal Service), and 17 years total service.

Padgettra

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Also, I forgot to mention that at this point I have just shy of 15 and a half years of AFS (Active Federal Service), and 17 years total service.
ARNG 600-5 ( found on National Guard Bureau Publications site)
d. AGR Soldiers in a career status are not guaranteed continuation on active service or in any particular status, but must be continually managed to ensure they perform IAW applicable regulations and policies (involuntary separations for misconduct, inefficiency, medical and other reasons may still occur pursuant to this and other applicable regulations).

6-2. Medical separation
a. AGR Soldiers being processed through the Disability Evaluation System (DES) or medical board proceedings will not be released from FTNGD, or retired from an AGR status until final disposition by medical authorities.

Since ARNG 600-5 is 32USC based, the my assumption and experience is that the State TAG has the authority to retain or separate at the conclusion of the process. Best of luck Ron P

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">