Bringing Documents to C&P Exams?

What's the general consensus, should I bring documents pertaining to that specific exam with me?

I'm seeing in various places that I should bring documents pertaining to that visit but my PEBLO just told me that I should only bring documents that affect my status, i.e., any changes in the status of the condition I'm going through the MEB for and that they have access to everything else.
Mostly concerned as I'm still constantly going through appointments and I've had changes in medication and treatment plans since I was referred for MEB for different conditions.
TIA!

I would bring as much information as possible. I had issues with some of my exams through the military, and when trying to explain what had gone wrong and telling the nurse doing my head to toe exactly where to look online to show where the disconnect was and how it was corrected I was told point blank that she wasn't going to dig that far. I feel like if I had bothered to bring my paper records I could have just pulled them out and showed her. A bit of an extreme example but at the very worst you bring them and they don't need them, at the best it prevents something like that happening.

You might bring key records, but not a huge stack. Military records should already be available.

I took a 3 inch binder with the records needed to prove my claim. I had it tabbed so I could find things quickly. It came in handy, I had some things that they needed.

Last edited:
I took a 3 inch binder with the records needed to prove my claim. I had it tabbed so I could find things quickly. It came in handy, I had some things that they needed.
I went through my exams, and asked if they had everything they needed. Once my results came back it was clear they did not, and that they didn't go thoroughly go through my medical records to find the evidence to support my claims. It definitely helps to show the evidence even if they say they don't need it.

I always advise my clients to take copies of key medical record entries concerning the referred conditions, as well as key entries for other conditions for which you are claiming service-connection. Why? Simple answer- I have had clients with all 3 VA exam contractors - VES, QTC, and OptumServe- experience scenarios in which the examiner was unable to access the portal with their Genesis and JLV records. Since their providers are under the gun to have quick turnarounds on their reports, you will find that accuracy is cast to the wind. Thus, I have my clients take two copies of these key documents and indicate that one copy is for the provider to keep. Typically, the provider will initially decline to review the documents, but then ask to review them as the exam progresses or whenever they have trouble accessing the records through their portal.

I wish I brought my records. I'm now in the process of requesting a VA reconsideration for my disqualifying disabilities. Then once I retire I'll have to do a lot of corrective actions.

I took like 11 folders with copies of medical reports like nerve studies and MRI's, along with all DBQ's for condiditons that I was claiming and personal notes. Mine came in handy because my Dr. hadn't seen some of the information. When I told them the issues, she was like, "well I haven't seen that in your record." I would then take a pause and pull out the documentation and show her. She wrote down the dates of the exams so she could look up later. I also had osteomylitis which I was claiming and the Dr. told me there wasn't even a DBQ for that. I then proceeded to pull out the exact DBQ from my folder and handed it to her and said, "this DBQ?" Her response was, "Oh, I haven't seen that one before." I responded that it was right on the public DBQ page, so she pulled it and filled it out as well. Always better to be prepared!