Can I decline severance?

SatchelMan

Registered Member
I got my results back as 10% from DoD and 30% from the VA. It is shown to be a chapter 61, title 10 separation and not combat related (also noted is 5 USC 8332, 3502, and 6303). The injury is also noted as "permanent and stable". My question is: can I just not accept the stupid loan they want to give me and just take my money from the VA for the concurrent injury? I don't want the stupid hassles that come with dealing with the army and taking their money with having to pay it back.

My da199 also noted my condition as permanent and stab but its not. From what my peblo told me is that you do hav the option to deny severance, it's just a option for you. You have the right to deny anything offered.

Exactly. And I would rather go straight to the VA instead of taking a real round-a-bout way for money that I essential won't benefit from. I haven't found ANY information on boards or otherwise talking about the consequences of declining disability "severance" pay for a LOD injury that is permanent.

You guys really should look up the info on this site about severance pay. I don't think you guys understand how it is recouped.

Exactly. And I would rather go straight to the VA instead of taking a real round-a-bout way for money that I essential won't benefit from. I haven't found ANY information on boards or otherwise talking about the consequences of declining disability "severance" pay for a LOD injury that is permanent.

The only time that I have heard that someone would directly benefit from declining separation is if a reservist with a 20-year letter accepts severance, he losses his retirement pay (on hitting 60 years). The above reservist with a 20-year letter should NEVER accept severance pay. It is costly way to lose a well deserved retirement package, and healthcare.