Can you MEB if you have a mandatory retirement date set?

CB1975

Registered Member
Background: I am a US Army Warrant Officer with 28 years of service. I have had a few serious, but manageable, medical issues and know when I retire, I should go through an MEB.

If I do not get selected for my next rank, I will have roughly 7 months to retire. I would prefer to wait on the results prior to applying for an MEB. If I am not selected, is it too late to start the MEB process?

I know if I am in the MEB process prior to the list being released, I will finish the MEB process regardless of the time it takes. I also know if I start the process and get promoted, it will be hard to stop the MEB. I just don't know if I can start the process after I have a mandatory retirement date.

This is not about getting a few extra months of service. I enjoy my job and plan on getting promoted. I had a brush with cancer and I have some combat injuries, so I know a medical retirement is the best answer when the time is right to ensure I am eligible for the most benefits. I just do not want to wait too long.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
No, it is "never too late." BUT (you knew that was coming)....

You may end up in a situation where the presumption of fitness rule applies to your case. That would make any unfitness findings more difficult to occur.

Best of luck!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">