Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello @brookstedd604

Info Provided:

See below hopefully you are able to help compute with the below info provided
Chapter 61 IDES Retire
--The high 3 ($3682) I didn’t use the RAS since im on TDRL currently and I don’t receive retirement
--I was approved for 70% DOD in my medical retirements. (Effective 9/1/2021)
-- I have 1753 Active Duty Points/11 years 6 months 8 days (2463 Total Career Points) After 1753 points the rest of the time in National Huard time

--I receive 100% VA with is $3548.00 I have 2 kids that are under 18 years.
--Approved CRSC-I haven’t been approved for CRSC but CRSC told me to apply due to combat
--I don’t qualify for any other retirement and I did not transition to the Blended Retirement System.

Does CRSC go back to when I was awarded my disability or when the disability occurred which is 2014-2015 timeframe. I was awarded the disability 9/1/2021-curious about retroactive pay if Im authorized)

Estimate based on the info you provided:

1. All your retired pay is waived due to the amount of VA comp received.
2. 11.5 years of active duty per your info x 2.5% = 28.75% longevity multiplier
3. Your stated high three of 3682 x 28.75% = 1058.58 longevity portion of retired pay and CRSC maximum. It could be less if the CRSC percentage approved by your service converts to an amount less than the amount cited here. The CRSC amount for the approved percentage is found in the VA comp tables.

Edited to add: The CRSC approval document will cite the effective date. CRSC can be paid retroactively. CRSC will not be earlier than the effective date of your VA compensation effective date.

Ron

Reply expanded, still using initial information provided.

a. Even in cases where all of a retiree's military retired pay is reduced to zero due to the amount of VA compensation received, at least one DFAS RAS is produced to reflect the COLA increase and subsequent waiver amount. It can be viewed at DFAS MyPay. I just looked at my copy from 1-31 December 1921.

b. If you high three average base pay (the total of the highest 36 months of pay divided by 36) is 3682 and your Dod disability percentage was 70%, THEN the computation of retired pay was: 3682 x 70% = ~ 2577

c. The amount of VA compensation you receive, 3548 reduces your retired pay to zero.

d. The amount of CRSC for a disability retiree is the lesser of the longevity portion of retired pay OR the percentage and amount in the VA compensation tables that mirrors the approved CRSC percentage. Example: If a retiree had 50% approved by the Army as CRSC and the 50% rate for a veteran and the number of dependents he/she has was 900 (example picked out the air) and his longevity amount was 600, the maximum CRSC payable would be 600.

e. You stated you had 11 years and 6 months of active-duty equivalent.
11.5 years of active duty per your info x 2.5% = 28.75% longevity multiplier
Your stated high three of 3682 x 28.75% = 1058.58 longevity portion of retired pay and CRSC maximum.
If 1058.58 is less than the amount in the VA compensation tables for your approved CRSC percentage, then the 1058.58 is the CRSC payable.
Note: I did not use your points for conversion; I used the 11 years 6 months you stated. Your disability retirement orders will show your precise active duty equivalent 3/4 down the first page as "Disability Retirement."

Ron

@brookstedd604

Last edited:
So I finally was approved for CRSC at 70%, I haven't received numbers from DFAS yet but everything else remains the same. I included some docs from myPay. Will the CRSC calculation remain the same?
You might want to delete and repost with your address redacted from your RAS & DOD compensation letter.

Hello @brookstedd604

A more precise estimate would require:

1. Actual high three average base pay or (and preferred) gross retired pay from DFAS RAS (all retirees receive at least one per year when COLA is approved)
2. DoD disability retired percentage
3. CRSC approved percentage
4. Active duty or active-duty equivalent (look at your disability Retirment orders-- 3/4 down first page should be "Disability Retirement". The active-duty equivalent is shown after that term.
5. "I receive 100% VA with is $3548.00 I have 2 kids that are under 18 years."
6. Blended retirement? Yes or No
7. The CRSC approval document will cite the effective date. CRSC can be paid retroactively. CRSC will not be earlier than the effective date of your VA compensation effective date.

It appears that the longevity portion of your retired pay will be the payable CRSC.

Ron

Hello @brookstedd604

A more precise estimate would require:

1. Actual high three average base pay or (and preferred) gross retired pay from DFAS RAS (all retirees receive at least one per year when COLA is approved)
2. DoD disability retired percentage
3. CRSC approved percentage
4. Active duty or active-duty equivalent (look at your disability Retirment orders-- 3/4 down first page should be "Disability Retirement". The active-duty equivalent is shown after that term.
5. "I receive 100% VA with is $3548.00 I have 2 kids that are under 18 years."
6. Blended retirement? Yes or No
7. The CRSC approval document will cite the effective date. CRSC can be paid retroactively. CRSC will not be earlier than the effective date of your VA compensation effective date.

It appears that the longevity portion of your retired pay will be the payable CRSC.

Ron
Thanks Ron for the info, heres the following:
1. Gross Retired Pay From DFAS RAS: $2231
2. Dod Disability Retired Percentage: 70%
3. CRSC Approved percentage: 70%
4. still waiting for orders (11.5 yrs)-On my retirement point statements it says 11 years 6 months 8 days creditable to retired pay, I can send over to you if you want to look
5. 100% VA with is $3548.00 I have 2 kids that are under 18 years
6. No, blended retirement
7. CRSC Doc: Eff DEC 2021

Thanks Ron for the info, heres the following:
1. Gross Retired Pay From DFAS RAS: $2231
2. Dod Disability Retired Percentage: 70%
3. CRSC Approved percentage: 70%
4. still waiting for orders (11.5 yrs)-On my retirement point statements it says 11 years 6 months 8 days creditable to retired pay, I can send over to you if you want to look
5. 100% VA with is $3548.00 I have 2 kids that are under 18 years
6. No, blended retirement
7. CRSC Doc: Eff DEC 2021
Hello,

a. 2231/70% = 3187 high three
b. 11.5 AD x 2.5% = 28.75% longevity multiplier
c. 3187 x 28.75% = 916.26 longevity portion of retirement pay
d. Item C amount is far less than the 70% percentage amount in the VA comp tables
e. Based on your info, your CRSC = 916.26

Ron

I was recently approved for CRSC. I was medically retired 2 weeks shy of 17 years from the Army reserves. I had over 7 years of active duty time. So, at retirement, I had 3390 points and I was a E-8 MSG. Medically retired at 70% DOD, I am 100% T&P through the VA. I would get $3324/month from the Army but I only get my VA because its higher. i get $3666/month from the VA. I have 2 kids under 18. CRSC was approved at 70%. What will my CRSC payment be approximately? Thank you very much in advance!

Hello @tjmangan4

a. What is your active duty equivalent? It can be found on your retirement orders, first page 3/4 down, as "Disability Retirement".

b. What is the gross retired pay on your most recent DFAS RAS? There might be only one since your VA amount causes the retired pay to be waived in full.

Ron

Hello @tjmangan4

a. What is your active duty equivalent? It can be found on your retirement orders, first page 3/4 down, as "Disability Retirement".

b. What is the gross retired pay on your most recent DFAS RAS? There might be only one since your VA amount causes the retired pay to be waived in full.

Ron
Disability retirement = 9 years, 2 months, 27 days
gross retired pay= $3324

@tjmangan4

Info provided
:
Disability retirement = 9 years, 2 months, 27 days
gross retired pay= $3324
"I was recently approved for CRSC. I was medically retired 2 weeks shy of 17 years from the Army reserves. I had over 7 years of active duty time. So, at retirement, I had 3390 points and I was a E-8 MSG. Medically retired at 70% DOD, I am 100% T&P through the VA. I would get $3324/month from the Army but I only get my VA because its higher. i get $3666/month from the VA. I have 2 kids under 18. CRSC was approved at 70%. What will my CRSC payment be approximately? "

Estimate based on your info.

1. 3324/70% = 4748.57 high three
2. 9.17 AD equivalent x 2.5% = 22.93% longevity multiplier
3. 4748.57 x 22.93% = 1088.85 longevity portion of retired pay (one of the CRSC ceilings)
4. CRSC @ 70% with 2 children u/18 : (1,615.95 + 64.00) = higher than longevity amount
5. Based on the info you provided, your CRSC = 1088.85

Note: If you had the blended retirement system, 2% is used rather than 2.5%

Ron

Hello Ron,

I have been receiving CRSC for some years now. Chap. 61 with 80% scheduler P&T and 100% with TDIU, all combat related. Today was the 1st time I've looked at my DFAS MyPay statement since I initially started receiving CRSC in 2014. I noticed that it correctly shows the 80% DVA, but only showing 70% combat related disability even though all my disabilities stem from the same combat related incident. Can you confirm if that 10% difference is accurate? I had 9yrs 10mths active, E-5 High 3 of $2,320. I got out in November 2007. Should the CRSC be more? I appreciate any wisdom you could share on this. Thank you

John

Attachments

• Web capture_12-11-2022_9651_mypay.dfas.mil.jpeg
    Web capture_12-11-2022_9651_mypay.dfas.mil.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Web capture_12-11-2022_91952_mypay.dfas.mil.jpeg
    Web capture_12-11-2022_91952_mypay.dfas.mil.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 13
Hello @lifesaver1

This site was down for awhile so I just now saw your post. Your approval letter for CRSC by your service will show the percentage approved. However, you are receiving one of the ceilings for CRSC, the longevity portion of your retired pay. It will never increase except for COLA INCREASES.

Formula(general):

Active duty equivalent years and months x 2.5% = longevity multiplier
Average high three base pay x longevity multiplier = longevity portion of retired pay

CRSC can never be more than the longevity portion of your retired pay

Ron

Last edited: