CRSC Timeline

I checked Twice this morning, and there was nothing. Checked again a few mins ago and boom there it was. Hope you got yours too!

That’s good to hear. Question.. if you don’t mind. Is retro pay one lum sum?

Nice!!!! So I’m looking at 17 months retro , or more if it takes longer to process. I’m perfectly fine with that

Update: checked DFAS this morning, statement shows amount awarded , first payment on June 30,2021. I’m sure this is a dumb question, retro pay will be based off the amount awarded correct? A HUGE thank you to this forum, you guys are awesome!!

Update: checked DFAS this morning, statement shows amount awarded , first payment on June 30,2021. I’m sure this is a dumb question, retro pay will be based off the amount awarded correct? A HUGE thank you to this forum, you guys are awesome!!
Retro periods for CRSC can include several factors that change the amounts paid for certain months. It also usually increases when there is a COLA increase (ex: 1 December).

Generally, one can use a current month CRSC amount and multiply it by the number of months retro. That will not be accurate if for nothing else, the COLA adjustments (i.e., previous years will be at a lower rate); however it can provide a ballpark figure.

Ron

Retro periods for CRSC can include several factors that change the amounts paid for certain months. It also usually increases when there is a COLA increase (ex: 1 December).

Generally, one can use a current month CRSC amount and multiply it by the number of months retro. That will not be accurate if for nothing else, the COLA adjustments (i.e., previous years will be at a lower rate); however it can provide a ballpark figure.

Ron
Thank you for the clarification.

Is the date of the CRSC submission the start point for retro pay or the date of retirement? Not sure how to determine how many months I am due retro pay

I do believe it’s the month after retirement. For example my CRSC approval letter states the “ effective date” was 02/20. I retired 01/20.

It can also be retroactive for up to six years…although I have not seen that type case on this board.

The effective date is cited in the approval letter.

Ron

It can also be retroactive for up to six years…although I have not seen that type case on this board.

The effective date is cited in the approval letter.

Ron
I’m about to resubmit mine and it’s been 7 years. I just wasn’t up to it mentally but now I’m in a inpatient ptsd program and doing better. I only sent 8 pages when I applied in 2014.

I’m about to resubmit mine and it’s been 7 years. I just wasn’t up to it mentally but now I’m in a inpatient ptsd program and doing better. I only sent 8 pages when I applied in 2014.
@Cplturpin82

Best of luck to you. The number of pages one submits is unimportant. The qualify and adequate proof are important. On the other hand, PTSD issues are more complicated. My applications were easy since my disabilities are Agent Orange exposure related.

See the following: A Supplement to CRSC Information <---LINK

Ron

I've been wondering about this... so its 2021 I got out in 2013 am I looking at retro pay to 2015 or am I looking at retro pay from 2010 date of injury and I retired 3 years later because the injuries where less than 6 years from retirement?

I've been wondering about this... so its 2021 I got out in 2013 am I looking at retro pay to 2015 or am I looking at retro pay from 2010 date of injury and I retired 3 years later because the injuries where less than 6 years from retirement?
Hello @Wizardtac

You are discussing CRSC, yes?

If you are speaking about CRSC and a correction to military records is not involved (e.g., elevated a separation to retirement) then your CRSC approval document will cite the effective date.

If you file your claim more than 6 years after initial eligibility, you will be restricted to 6 years of any retroactive entitlement.

If you had a regular retirement (20 yr AD or equivalent) and a 50% or more VA rating, you would have been entitled to CRDP automatically. The DFAS will not go back and change the CRDP in previous years to CRSC. Amended tax returns can be filed though.

Ron

Just got my approval as well! 10 day turn around. I do have a follow up question though. I got out on September 2013. It is 2021 now and I understand at the end of this month it will roll over to 2022. My award says combat related 60% JAN 16. As of right now that would only effectively give me 5 years of back pay? Would this be considered an error?

Just got my approval as well! 10 day turn around. I do have a follow up question though. I got out on September 2013. It is 2021 now and I understand at the end of this month it will roll over to 2022. My award says combat related 60% JAN 16. As of right now that would only effectively give me 5 years of back pay? Would this be considered an error?
The error seems to be in your math. :)

The effective date of your CRSC appears to be January 2016. That would involve retro CRSC for:
2016 = 12
2017 = 12
2018 = 12
2019 = 12
2020 = 12
2021 = 12
Total: six years or 72 months

There is a Six Year Statute of Limitations: CRSC is subject to the 6-year statute of limitations, 31 U.S.C., Section 3702(b). In order to receive the full retroactive CRSC entitlement, you must file your CRSC claim within 6 years of the date of any VA rating decision that could potentially make you eligible for CRSC or the date you become entitled to retired pay, whichever is more recent. If you file your claim more than 6 years after initial eligibility, you will be restricted to 6 years of any retroactive entitlement. Any questions relating to the payment of this claim must be addressed to Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) who is the pay authority for CRSC.

Ron

Makes sense I guess I can't always get the math right. Ron you are a machine thanks for squaring me away!