CSRC Back Pay

First thanks to everyone great info on all the boards. Thumbs up to the moderators.

Hello this is my timeline for CRSC through the ARMY. I did fill out my own paperwork and send in which is pretty easy IF you follow the instructions and leave nothing on the form blank. Plus send in EXACTLY what the instructions tell you to. If notsure please get help and gets whats your and dont give up. DFAS determined that CRSC was better for me.

100% CRSC currently $2676 (retired pay before)
100% VA (effective Jun 2019) $3592.35 SMC

60% rating for CRSC (going back to the six year limit AUG 2013)
70% VA (six years ago at that time)

12 July 2019 Application Date

30 July 2019 Original Date

21 Aug 2019 CRSC approved

16 Sept 2019 DFAS (waived full retired pay)

23 SEP 2019 notice a pay form paperwork on HRC site but partial cut off but looks like my VA pay / retired pay that should have been waived i guess

1 Oct 2019 CRSC pay recieved. (which was my full retirement pay)

CRSC start date AUG 2013

retired in Feb 2010, E-8, at 21 years 11 months 15 days at 55% for high three regular army. At that time my VA was only 40 percent. 6 months later got to 50 percent.
I guessing audit going on to determine if I recieve backpay. What do you think? Will update if I recieve back pay. Also applied for ssdi waitng on that process.
It appears you have a regular retirement so your CRSC is straightforward.

The amounts are the found in the VA compensation tables for the approved percentages for CRSC (older rates are linked at the bottom of the VA compensation tables).

I infer you did not receive CRSC previously so the amount determined by the DFAS audit should be significant.

Congrats!

Ron

Who is entitled to CRSC and SMC?
Do you mean who is eligible? They are two different categories of payments.
—CRSC paid by DFAS
—SMCs paid by VA

All my VA comp was replaced by SMC-S plus I receive SM-K too.
I receive CRSC in the full amount of what my regular retired pay amount was.

“Military Departments will classify each award of SMC as either Combat-Related Special Monthly Compensation (CR-SMC) or not (Non-CR-SMC), consistent with the corresponding determination of the diagnostic codes on which the SMC is based. DFAS-Cleveland Site will be notified of all such determinations. DFAS-Cleveland Site will include any CR-SMC in CRSC computations.”—DoD

Ron

The amounts are the found in the VA compensation tables for the approved percentages for CRSC (older rates are linked at the bottom of the VA compensation tables).

I infer you did not receive CRSC previously so the amount determined by the DFAS audit should be significant.

Congrats!

Ron

Yes you are correct I did not receive CRSC previously. And the word significant definifite got my attention ( and my wife of course). It was reading your forums that got me to apply for it. timing was perfect. Been trying to tell other retirees to apply but most dont want the hassle of paperwork. Now some are rethinking it. The worst they can say is you dont qualify but you never know until you do. Once again thank you for all you do.

I’m still not understanding the difference of VA comp versus receiving SMC but it seems it’s worth applying for. What about for medical retirees that are under 20 years? What category would they be eligible in?

Edited by moderator.
Your posts have diverted from the subject of this thread. I started a new thread on your behalf at THIS LINK <----

RonG

Congrats!
Ron
Yes you are correct I did not receive CRSC previously. And the word significant definifite got my attention ( and my wife of course). It was reading your forums that got me to apply for it. timing was perfect. Been trying to tell other retirees to apply but most dont want the hassle of paperwork. Now some are rethinking it. The worst they can say is you dont qualify but you never know until you do. Once again thank you for all you do.

For some reason while watching the World Championships for Track and Field, I thought about your case.

Since you are a regular retiree, I did not work the numbers since no DoD disability retired pay is involved.

However, this has a bearing on what you will receive.
You said,
"100% CRSC currently $2676 (retired pay before)
70% VA (six years ago at that time)"

As a regular retiree with a VA rating of 50% or more during the retro period, you likely received CRDP which allowed concurrent Receipt of VA Comp and retired pay.
Page two of each DFAS RAS would show the amount of CRDP that is included in the gross retired pay on page one.

Using the 60% CRSC figure for Aug 13 and the VA @ 70%, you would have received all your retired pay under CRDP; however, in a CRSC scenario, your retired pay would be reduced by the amount of the VA comp @ 70%, but CRSC would replace waived retired pay @ the 60% rate. This is one example of CRDP being the best choice in certain situations. DFAS would pay you the higher amount as the result of the audit, but you have already received CRDP, which is higher.

If your audit shows you have received CRDP for the entire period, there will probably be no adjustments for prior years.

You might be able to recoup some of the taxes you paid on your retired pay for the last couple of years. You might want to review the material I put together circa 2012
at TAX REFUND LINK <---- It has many revisions so I would read only the material for 2016-2017 if you are interested. I am not a tax professional, but i did benefit on a couple of occasions from filing amended returns. Those who choose to amend their returns should visit with a tax professional; I no longer do them, even for family.
Note: I would NOT choose one of the strip mall tax preparation offices that pop up during tax season.

I apologize for not looking at your case closer earlier. It does not appear there will be a significant windfall from the retro CRSC.

CERTAIN AMENDED RETURNS IRS link <---

Ron

For some reason while watching the World Championships for Track and Field, I thought about your case.

Since you are a regular retiree, I did not work the numbers since no DoD disability retired pay is involved.

However, this has a bearing on what you will receive.
You said,
"100% CRSC currently $2676 (retired pay before)
70% VA (six years ago at that time)"

As a regular retiree with a VA rating of 50% or more during the retro period, you likely received CRDP which allowed concurrent Receipt of VA Comp and retired pay.
Page two of each DFAS RAS would show the amount of CRDP that is included in the gross retired pay on page one.

Using the 60% CRSC figure for Aug 13 and the VA @ 70%, you would have received all your retired pay under CRDP; however, in a CRSC scenario, your retired pay would be reduced by the amount of the VA comp @ 70%, but CRSC would replace waived retired pay @ the 60% rate. This is one example of CRDP being the best choice in certain situations. DFAS would pay you the higher amount as the result of the audit, but you have already received CRDP, which is higher.

If your audit shows you have received CRDP for the entire period, there will probably be no adjustments for prior years.

You might be able to recoup some of the taxes you paid on your retired pay for the last couple of years. You might want to review the material I put together circa 2012
at TAX REFUND LINK <---- It has many revisions so I would read only the material for 2016-2017 if you are interested. I am not a tax professional, but i did benefit on a couple of occasions from filing amended returns. Those who choose to amend their returns should visit with a tax professional; I no longer do them, even for family.
Note: I would NOT choose one of the strip mall tax preparation offices that pop up during tax season.

I apologize for not looking at your case closer earlier. It does not appear there will be a significant windfall from the retro CRSC.

CERTAIN AMENDED RETURNS IRS link <---

Ron

Thank you hey you never know unless you apply which is better.

It seems that there really is no consistency in the processing time. Like one mentioned, only thing we can do is be patient (I know it sucks).

Emailed CRSC packet August 23rd

Approved and Uploaded to HRC Sept 10th

Confirmed on phone with DFAS that they also have the approval letter Sept 10th

Will update with any more news or payments received.

Update on CRSC Audit and Back Pay process.

Received 1st CRSC Payment on Aug 1 2019.
Audit Packet processed on Aug 4 2019.
Email/Called Retirement Services Aug 25 2019 (Was given information that process would Take up to 60-120 days to Complete).
Called today Oct 22 2019 to ask were process was at. (I thought I was at the 90ish day mark, but was informed by a Tier 2 Rep that it is 60-120 Business Days, not including weekends), so I am at the 66 Business Day mark and is still in Process as of now, was told to call back in December and check back, they did notify me once process is complete, Backpay will be paid by DFAS and not VA if anyone is wondering, so hopefully Audit will be complete sometime in December.

Hello,

The VA never pays CRSC. It is a special compensation paid by DFAS and USCG.

Ron

It seems that there really is no consistency in the processing time. Like one mentioned, only thing we can do is be patient (I know it sucks).

Emailed CRSC packet August 23rd

Approved and Uploaded to HRC Sept 10th

Confirmed on phone with DFAS that they also have the approval letter Sept 10th

Will update with any more news or payments received.

Update: 1st Payment November 11
Audit began October 6
Pay statement mypay for retro: November 14th

Update on CRSC Back Pay,

Approved for CRSC January 1 2019

Received First Payment of CRSC on July 1 2019

CRSC Audit started in August 2019

CRSC Audit Process Completed on December 3 2019 and in Release Stage

Was told by a Tier 2 DFAS Representative that once it is looked over for any discrepancies, will be released for payment into account, my question is from the actual completion and release stage what is the timeframe for Backpay to be deposited in account? any and all information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.