How do I get determined unfit?

micky6769

Registered Member
First I like quite a few on here am a dual-status national guard technician, I am not yet 50 and have under 17 years "technician time" my situation is that I have Ben experiencing pain in both knees and more significantly I frequently have episodes/incidents of my leg/knee collapsing, sometimes to the point of hitting the floor. I was diagnosed in 2015 with chondromalacia patella of the right knee ( I suspect left as well but never had an MRI TO CONFIRM) since that time I have failed 2 fit tests because of the run time but I have also passed one in between. I am an aircraft mechanic which frequently requires me to be in a squat or kneeling position for an extended period for my job which aggravates my condition, as in extremely painful and difficult to stand up. My question is: is this condition qualifying for technician/OPM retirement due to inability to do the job and how do I initiate? I have given my MRI to base medical and trying to speak with a doctor on base but have not yet. Also my civilian doc did not put me on restriction as of yet, told me to apply moist heat and wear a brace at work. I'm not sure if I need to push the civilian doc to give a restriction and then take to base medical? My concern is not just the run, as my doc said he is more concerned that my knee gives out and I fall into a running machine at work ( band saw, belt sander etc.) just not sure where to start, a friend recently informed me he was retired for this same diagnosis but not sure if it is based on severity? I also am already on an ALC because I have lens implants due to cataract surgery. This affects my job as it is very hard use bifocals when drilling holes in things etc. thanks for any help, advice.

Talking to your military doc is the place to start.

AR 40-501. Just look to see what doesn't meet retention standards. Then go ask the military doc for a level 3 profile because you can't wear military combat gear due to the condition. Ensure you max out the number of "referred" conditions by getting lots of level 3 profiles simultaneously.

I agree with Chaplain Charlie, gather up what you have from off-base providers, and schedule an appointment with the military doctor. Bring in everything you have for review, and then basically tell the doctor what you said here....

"I can't do XYZ, doing ABC hurts, etc."

I agree with Chaplain Charlie, gather up what you have from off-base providers, and schedule an appointment with the military doctor. Bring in everything you have for review, and then basically tell the doctor what you said here....

"I can't do XYZ, doing ABC hurts, etc."

Ok thank you, I have submitted my MRI results and gave them access to my medical records. I got a referral to the orthopedic doc and I think I will ask for MRI of my left leg as well. I don't know if anyone knows about this but being military technician I am dual status. A friend who recently went thru the process told me I need to see the civilian liaison at medical? I talked the med techs or whatever they are and they had no idea what I was talking about.

If you have any LODs for this stuff, you need to make sure they get uploaded to your medical records. Being a traditional if you don't have LODs, then it probably won't be service connected. Unless something was diagnosed while you were on active duty orders. In that case, an LOD isn't required but it's great supporting documentation.

If you have any LODs for this stuff, you need to make sure they get uploaded to your medical records. Being a traditional if you don't have LODs, then it probably won't be service connected. Unless something was diagnosed while you were on active duty orders. In that case, an LOD isn't required but it's great supporting documentation.
I man not as concerned with service connected as I am technician disability which is opm