How do they determine the rating.

StaJac98

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good morning to all,

Can someone guide me on how they determine the rating for mental health. I thought I was being MED boarded for PTSD, but it's for MDD. Long question is, if my they rate me for MDD at 50%, do they even look at the PTSD. I just don't understand how they rate mental health.

REFERRED CONTENTION:
MAJOR DEPRESSIVE DISORDER

TENTATIVE CONTENTIONS LIST:
TINNITUS
PTSD, CHRONIC w/ adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety, insomnia, nightmares.

It makes no difference, in terms of compensation. Both of those diagnoses are combined into a single rating. Your social and occupational function will determine the percent.

Attached is the VASRD table for rating mental health issues, fresh from the VA website.

Attachments

• VASRD Mental Health.pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 28
It makes no difference, in terms of compensation. Both of those diagnoses are combined into a single rating. Your social and occupational function will determine the percent.
What happens when the examiner checks a lower social and occupational but checked symptoms corresponding to higher social and occupation.

If the examiners check blocks that don’t match up with the rating, it may be kicked back by quality assurance. If it is found to be disqualifying by DoD you can submit a VARR. This will result in a re-rating if the facts justify a new ration.