How does DoD and VA pay work?

Oldboot28

Registered Member
I'm a current Guardsman prior active duty Soldier. I have 5 years in both with 2 deployments. The Guard started the IDES process on me back in February of this year once my LODs were approved. A week ago my PEBLO informed me my paperwork came back as 50% DoD rating, recommended PDRL due to combat related injury and a VA rating of 90%. After speaking with my PEBLO and DFAS, I'm confused as to if I will be receiving 90% VA disabilty and 50% DoD retirement. I do know of CRSC but my PEBLO told me I could potentially receive both DoD and VA once my IDES process is completed but DFAS told me that I have to be fully retired and then apply for CRSC. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Congratulations on your retirement!

After speaking with my PEBLO and DFAS, I'm confused as to if I will be receiving 90% VA disabilty and 50% DoD retirement.
Initially, you won't get both. You will get the higher of the two, though, if the DoD dollars are greater than the VA, then normally, you will receive the VA amount at the non-taxed amount, then the balance of DoD due (normally taxed, but with combat related finding, should not be taxed). Essentially, you will get the higher of the two amounts.

I do know of CRSC but my PEBLO told me I could potentially receive both DoD and VA once my IDES process is completed but DFAS told me that I have to be fully retired and then apply for CRSC.
Yes, you need to apply for CRSC once you are actually retired and in receipt of VA compensation. That will restore some or all of the offset monies.

You may want to check out this forum:
http://www.pebforum.com/site/forums/physical-disability-compensation.8/

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">