How does the VA Portion of the MEB Process work?

austin7142

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm active duty USMC, and was just recently referred to the MEB by my Mental Health Docs. I chose to do the (IDES) process, and I was wondering what I can expect to take place next and how the VA portion worked?

So far the following has happened:

- The referral was sent over to the MEB by my Docs
- I was contacted by the PEB Admin
- I filled out and turned in the Medical Board Information Worksheet the PEB Admin emailed me
- My Nurse Case Manager contacted me to get aquainted
- I gathered all my physical medical & dental records the PEB Admin asked me to drop off to her, and turned them in

Apparently the next step is to speak with the attorney, and to also start scheduling VA appointments. I was wondering, are these VA appointments I'll be going to the same type of appointments as what someone who has just gotten out would go through? Are they going to be C&P Appointments? Will I still have to try and prove service connection for my other disabilities I want to claim? Will I be able to meet with a VSO for help with what I want to claim?

I've gathered all my medical & dental records, had a disc made by the base MTF with all my medical information on it, and gone through the entire 38 CFR and highlighted things I think I'd be able to claim. Is there anything else I should do to prepare for this process? Or am I on the right track so far?

The appointments will be of C&P type, not the health care type. (No treatment) They serve the purpose to document disabilities and severity, and may not be completed at a VAMC. They could be conducted by a contractor (QTC) and some may be conducted over the phone during Covid-19. If your whole career is active duty, service connection shouldn’t be a problem. I would claim every disability if you don’t already receive compensation from the VA. DOD is only going to give percentages for the unfitting disabilities.

Your MSC takes the place of a VSO during the MEB process and should already be familiar with your disabilities. You can still file a claim if something is left out, it’s your retirement, so don’t leave anything on the table.

Stay in touch with your PEBLO and MSC, with regards to what needs to happen and when.

You got this!

The
The appointments will be of C&P type, not the health care type. (No treatment) They serve the purpose to document disabilities and severity, and may not be completed at a VAMC. They could be conducted by a contractor (QTC) and some may be conducted over the phone during Covid-19. If your whole career is active duty, service connection shouldn’t be a problem. I would claim every disability if you don’t already receive compensation from the VA. DOD is only going to give percentages for the unfitting disabilities.

Your MSC takes the place of a VSO during the MEB process and should already be familiar with your disabilities. You can still file a claim if something is left out, it’s your retirement, so don’t leave anything on the table.

Stay in touch with your PEBLO and MSC, with regards to what needs to happen and when.

You got this!
Do you think they'd do over the phone, for mental health issues? Or is that HAVE to be done in person? Would doing it over the phone be better you think?

Can I utilize a VSO in addition to my MSC? Just so I can have 2 eyes, rather than 1 looking at my paperwork?

It is possible to do mental health over the phone, but most of the examiners like to physically look at the veteran to see if eye contact, hyper awareness and other things are present.

I would tend to believe an in person C&P would be more accurate.

If you can get a VSO to understand that you want them to look over your records and list the claims it could reassure you, but that’s what the MSC also does for a living.