Im so confused about CRSC payment

tabs86

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have just been approved for CRSC @ 70%. Started March 2018 approved December 2018. I am confused on payment, retro active pay, and pretty much everything else. Ok so first thing is if I give the following info casn I find out what my payment would be. Medically retired if that is needed

1. RAS Gross is $1970 ( Dont know what my high 36 would be.)
  2. AD Service: 8 years 9 months
  3. VA rating is 70%
  4. Approved for CRSC @ 70%
  5. I remember DOD being something like 30% but not really sure

Married, 4 children under 18

Also what would my retro be if I left service July of 2015

And if I am medically retired do I lose money with CRSC. Very confused.

Please any info would be awesome.

I submitted mine May 16, 2018 and just got approved....saw it on HRC site, my documents so just under 6 months....

I have just been approved for CRSC @ 70%. Started March 2018 approved December 2018. I am confused on payment, retro active pay, and pretty much everything else. Ok so first thing is if I give the following info casn I find out what my payment would be. Medically retired if that is needed

3. VA rating is 70%

3. VA rating is 70%

You’ll probably get the MyPay statement end of the month (Dec) and the first payment January. Then wait on retro if owed, some people say longer the wait the bigger the retro. They’re (DFAS) is quoting 60-120 days, I’ve seen post that have come in days after first payment, and some months after. Good Luck!

Oh and no.. You medical retirement money from DFAS was probably waived during election to receive Va benefits because they’re usually more money. The CRSC is supposed to replace “the portion of that money that is connected to combat related injury”..... I think; Ask Ron he knows everything about Crsc I’m a VA wiz lol

ask @RonG

He is the man on this topic!

Hello,

Precise info is needed to offer a computation. A guess at DoD percentage will not do. See the following for info needed. I would be happy to provide an estimate.

The information associated with all of the five numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx)

2. DoD disability retirement percentage. EXAMPLE: 50% DoD (this is absolutely necessary)

3. Years and months of active duty EXAMPLE: 11 years and 3 months
Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation percentage and amount plus identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC

Provide ALL the info above and a computation will be provided.

Ron

where do i find my DOD disability percentage
One place would be your retirement orders.

If you cannot find, it...I will use the following info you provide and 30% DoD rating

3. VA rating is 70%

I am working another case while waiting to do this one, so it might be a few minutes.

Ron

One place would be your retirement orders.

If you cannot find, it...I will use the following info you provide and 30% DoD rating

3. VA rating is 70%

I am working another case while waiting to do this one, so it might be a few minutes.

Ron
Using 30% DoD:

1970/0.30= 6566.66 high three...that seems high

Ok @RonG so I have the info
1)high 3 $2674
2)30% DOD
3)8.9 AD
4)70% VA Spouse, 4 children under 18
5)70% CRSC approved

Ok @RonG so I have the info
1)high 3 $2674
2)30% DOD
3)8.9 AD
4)70% VA Spouse, 4 children under 18
5)70% CRSC approved
High three 2674 x 30% = 802.20 retired pay (you previously said your retired pay was $1970; there is an error in one of the two)

Estimate with significant info missing:

1. High three average x DoD retirement percentage = DoD retired pay
  2. 8 years 9 months (not 8.9) = 8.75 years
  3. 8.75 AD years x 0.025 = 21.9 % multiplier
  4. high three average x 0.219 = longevity portion of retirement
  5. VA comp 70% spouse & 4 children under 18 = $1,609.71 + 3@ $59 = 1786.71
  6. DoD retired pay at item one minus $1786.71 = residual retired pay (possibly 1970 - 1786.71 = 183.29 residual retired pay)
  7. Approved CRSC @ 70% = 1786.71
  8. CRSC is the lesser of amount determined at item 4 OR the amount determined at item 7 LESS residual retired pay.
There are other factors that could pertinent to the computation once precise information is available.

Ron

High three 2674 x 30% = 802.20 retired pay (you previously said your retired pay was $1970; there is an error in one of the two)

Estimate with significant info missing:

1. High three average x DoD retirement percentage = DoD retired pay
  2. 8 years 9 months (not 8.9) = 8.75 years
  3. 8.75 AD years x 0.025 = 21.9 % multiplier
  4. high three average x 0.219 = longevity portion of retirement
  5. VA comp 70% spouse & 4 children under 18 = $1,609.71 + 3@ $59 = 1786.71
  6. DoD retired pay at item one minus $1786.71 = residual retired pay (possibly 1970 - 1786.71 = 183.29 residual retired pay)
  7. Approved CRSC @ 70% = 1786.71
  8. CRSC is the lesser of amount determined at item 4 OR the amount determined at item 7 LESS residual retired pay.
There are other factors that could be pertinent to the computation once precise information is available.

Ron
I should have included that you will have to waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. Often, CH 61 retirees end up with zero retired pay after the waiver. CRSC replaces some or all of waiver retired pay. Residual retired pay reduces CRSC.

If you have determined the accurate info for those elements in the initial CRSC computation, I would be happy to re-compute the estimate.

Ron

Good morning @RonG,
Attached is the CRSC pay statement DFAS released. On the entitlement side it says CRSC Debt Balance is that the Retroactive pay section? Does anyone know?

Since your estimate was never completed, the following is an interpretation solely based on the CRSC statement provided.

It shows your gross retired pay as 2025 and VA compensation as 1786.71. The waiver of retired pay is 1786.71.

The amount of residual retired pay is 238.29 (2025-1786.71). Residual retired pay reduces CRSC.

Your CRSC was probably the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay, which I suspect was 632.
I determined 632 via 393.71 CRSC amount + 238.29 residual retired pay = 632.00

You should receive two payments from DFAS each month: 393.71 CRSC and 238.29 gross retired pay.

Your retroactive CRSC is not addressed on the CRSC statement you posted.

Ron