Just getting started, folks...

thizzle29

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good Day, people. I'm just getting started in my IDES process. I'm 47 years old, have 28+ years in the Air National Guard (E1 to O5) and have deployed to many places including Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm also a federal technician and have been in the federal system for 11 years currently. I have been 100% P&T with the VA since Oct 2019. 50% is for "Other Specific Trauma and Stressor Related Disorder." Other percentages are for physical disabilities (back, knees, etc.).

I wish to medically retire from the military. I think my MEB/PEB was filed 2 Jan 2024 based on some info I saw on my RIP, although I began giving my paperwork and told my intent to the Dir of Psych Health in Apr of 2023. My NARSUM was written by my Dir of Psychological Health and my commander did my commander's impact statement based on what I asked him to (me to medically retire). I also supplied doctors notes from my psychiatrists (yes, two) and my primary care manager from the VA. I'm curious to know if, by the way my NARSUM is written, I could tell if I would have a good chance of maxing out the final DoD rating of 75%. Any help is appreciated. Here are some excerpts from my NARSUM (I know we normally wouldn't have access to these):

(18) Diagnoses

Generalize Anxiety Disorder: Per MSD (31 July2023, Sec Q) member requires and waiver due to Q2A, Q2C,Q3B, Q3C and Q5D.

Insomnia: Per MSD (31 July2023, Sec Q) member requires and waiver due to Q2A, Q2C,Q3B, Q3C and Q5D.

Panic Disorder: Per MSD (31 July2023, Sec Q) member requires and waiver due to Q2A, Q2C,Q3B, Q3C and Q5D.

PTSD: Per MSD (31 July2023, Sec Q) member requires and waiver due to Q2A, Q2C,Q3B, Q3C and Q5D.

Major Depressive Disorder: Per MSD (31 July2023, Sec Q) member requires and waiver due to Q2A, Q2C,Q3B, Q3C and Q5D.

ADHD: Per MSD (31 July2023, Sec Q) member requires and waiver due to Q2A, Q2C,Q3B, Q3C and Q5D.

(20) Military and Social Impairment

Generalized Anxiety Disorder (F41.1): member has been given this impairment rating due to significant deficiencies and the effort member must provide to meet the requirements of his rank, grade and rating. Member articulates significant issues with provider leadership to his airmen and information/consultation to his command. Relationships at work have become difficult. Familial relationships are often strained. Member is not deployable.

Insomnia: member has been given this impairment rating due to significant deficiencies and the effort member must provide to meet the requirements of his rank, grade and rating. Member articulates significant issues with provider leadership to his airmen and information/consultation to his command. Issues related to mood, memory, daytime fatigue and irritability are noted. Relationships at work have become difficult. Familial relationships are often strained. Member is not deployable.

Panic Disorder: member has been given this impairment rating due to significant deficiencies and the effort member must provide to meet the requirements of his rank, grade and rating. Member articulates significant issues with provider leadership to his airmen and information/consultation to his command. Relationships at work have become difficult. Familial relationships are often strained. Member is not deployable.

PTSD: member has been given this impairment rating due to significant deficiencies and the effort member must provide to meet the requirements of his rank, grade and rating. Member articulates significant issues with provider leadership to his airmen and information/consultation to his command. Relationships at work have become difficult. Familial relationships are often strained. Member reports issues of avoidance, hyper-vigilance and paranoia effect social interactions. Member is not deployable.

Major Depressive Disorder: member has been given this impairment rating due to significant deficiencies and the effort member must provide to meet the requirements of his rank, grade and rating. Member articulates significant issues with provider leadership to his airmen and information/consultation to his command. Relationships at work have become difficult. Familial relationships are often strained. issues related to motivation and social isolation are noted. Member is not deployable.

ADHD: Member has been given this impairment rating due to significant deficiencies and the effort member must provide to meet the requirements of his rank, grade and rating. Member articulates significant issues with provider leadership to his airmen and information/consultation to his command. Relationships at work have become difficult. Familial relationships are often strained. member reports distracatbility/concentration and issues related to work performance. Member is not deployable.

Once I receive my military medical retirement, I will file for my federal disability retirement as well (since my technician job is tied to my military job).

Thank you for your time, all. :)

I’m not able to answer your question, but have a few for you based on your experience as a member of the ANG going through the DES if you will indulge:
1. Do you have LODs and did you have any issues with the ARC LOD review board denying or overturning them?
2. Did you end up in the DES by way of IRILO with ANG/SG recommending MEB, or did you go through the Non-Duty/“fit for duty” route?
3. How long did it take for NGB to review your IRILO and recommend MEB?
4. Finally, with your VA rating, did you select LDES and how long are you being told the process will take?
Thanks in advance for any details you’re willing to share.

I’m not able to answer your question, but have a few for you based on your experience as a member of the ANG going through the DES if you will indulge:
1. Do you have LODs and did you have any issues with the ARC LOD review board denying or overturning them?
2. Did you end up in the DES by way of IRILO with ANG/SG recommending MEB, or did you go through the Non-Duty/“fit for duty” route?
3. How long did it take for NGB to review your IRILO and recommend MEB?
4. Finally, with your VA rating, did you select LDES and how long are you being told the process will take?
Thanks in advance for any details you’re willing to share.
I'm sorry for replying so late. I will answer your questions:
1. I didn't have LODs, only multiple contingency (i.e. 'combat') deployments to places including Iraq and Afghanistan
2. I went to my medical folks and told them that I'd like to pursue the military medical retirement route. They sent me the documents to get filled out by other doctors and physicians.
3. I have no idea as I am still waiting for someone to reach out to. I was told 'someone will contact' me.
4. I was told to not go the legacy route (LDES) because I want the VA to 're-rate' all of the things I have so they can be 'combat related'. I know I risk the chance of being reduced, but several professionals who've processed IDES have told me they seriously doubt that I will be decreased because I have more than enough documentation supporting my claims.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions/comments. I'll do what I can to answer. :)